FX’s Shogun | Hiroyuki Sanada, Cosmo Jarvis, Anna Sawai

Finally watched this show.

Having seen it, I still stand on what I said earlier on my post here that this is not by any means would be the true representative of our culture and people. While I really did admire and in awe for the good production design and costumes here (I think thats because Sanada being the producer really help on that front)...but story wise, and how the people behave and act (especially of how the show seems to be made with a prejudice that Japanese people on that era were barbaric), "Shogun" is just a fiction and a fantasy show based on our real historical event and figures.

I read reviews here that especially pointed out of how the women behave and act as an inaccurate depiction of how women would act especially on that era towards foreigner. One female reviewer has stated that she had an uncomfortable feeling when seen the scene between Kiku, Mariko and Blackthorne.

While other reviewer pointed out that the actress who play Mariko doesnt even look like Japanese (the sentiment that I agree with because while Anna Sawai is gorgeous, but I couldn't help to think of how foreign she has looked sometimes, especially comparing her to other native Japanese actress in the show), and what heavily critized her character is because the real historical figure that Mariko based on was Hosokawa Gracia, a daughter of the famous warlord, Akechi Mitsuhide...while historically accurate that she was converted to Catholic, but she was never met with the real Anjin in history, William Adams, (who Blackthorne loosely based on from), and arguing that she would not act the way she is like in the show given the graceful nature of Hosokawa Gracia was completely different from Mariko.

It is no wonder that this show is not as popular in Japan as it is abroad.
And we just see it as it is...a fiction and not the most extraordinary one on that as well.
*If you want to watch the most authentic Japanese feudal samurai show...I'd recommend watch Taiga dramas (a lot of them) and the movie, "Sekigahara" (2017), that adapts the same historical event as Shogun, but more accurately and more authentic.

Last edited:

She is a star and has gotten better with every episode to the point she is almost the central character to it, already been through some pretty harsh things in it and before it, it seems but the actress is playing her heart out in it. Interesting to see where she pops up next after this show finishes.

Bring on "Crimson Sky" I cant wait for it...👿:mrk:

*Toranaga wins*
Me: "oh sh**t?"
*46 years ago title card*
Me: "OH S**T!"

I swear I heard the Curb theme song when it got to the ending. :o

For obvious reasons, that ending reminded me of Gaetano's fate on the fourth season of Fargo.

Seems like the writers couldn't think of a better way to write themselves out of that one.

I get the idea, but it was kinda lackluster. That character was fiending for a fight and talking of the beauty of death, etc etc. Idk. I think they just needed a way for Toranaga to undo what he did. It was all telegraphed, but felt kinda facile.

I hate to say it, but I feel like this show needs to pick up the pace a bit. I like a slow burn, but I feel like it’s a bit too slow of a burn. So much of it is just Toranaga and other characters silently contemplating what to do. I don’t need nonstop action but in a show about samurai warriors, I want to see SOME action. I know we got a little at the end with this episode but it still felt pretty short and the most interesting thing about it was dumbass cracking his head open on a rock, lol.

That was one hell of a lame death :)
I don’t know if we were meant to laugh at it, but I sure did.

We started playing a drinking game a few episodes back. Take a drink every time dinjin mentions his ship.

I’m still not 100% sure why they just can’t kill Toranaga on the spot and insist he be brought back to Osaka. I’m sure it has something to do with honor or tradition but clearly they have had no problem killing others less honorably.

I don’t know if we were meant to laugh at it, but I sure did.

We started playing a drinking game a few episodes back. Take a drink every time dinjin mentions his ship.

I’m still not 100% sure why they just can’t kill Toranaga on the spot and insist he be brought back to Osaka. I’m sure it has something to do with honor or tradition but clearly they have had no problem killing others less honorably.
Without some semblance of a rule of law by a proto national government the clans might go back to open warfare among themselves until another leader forms enough alliances together for power as was achieved under the late Taiko.

"Bandits" provide plausible deniability that Lord Isido might have failed as a local protector but he is still following the law..

Another great episode, can't wait for next week. It looks like Crimson Sky is a go.

Anjin and Yabushige:

giphy.gif

Each episode outdoes the previous' // Mariko and Fuji are my girls.

Blackthorn is a goofy stud.

Toranaga rules, what a long con... damn.
That's what was so great in the book, too. You never really knew what he was thinking.

That's what was so great in the book, too. You never really knew what he was thinking.
I hate that I've been sitting on the two-part og HCs for years and now they're also stuck in storage.

Came across the same editions of Tai-Pan (?) at a thrift store recently.

I hate that I've been sitting on the two-part og HCs for years and now they're also stuck in storage.

Came across the same editions of Tai-Pan (?) at a thrift store recently.
Tai-pan great. :D I loved all of them, really.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"