Gangsta Gene?

PyroChamber

Not lactose, it's milk!
Reaction score
http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn17337-gangsta-gene-identified-in-us-teens.html

It's not nearly as overt as a hand sign or a coloured bandana, but DNA may offer one clue as to whether someone belongs to a gang or not.

Males with a particular form of gene called MAOA are twice as likely to join a gang, compared to those with other forms, finds a new study of more than 2000 US teens. What's more, gang members with these mutations are far more likely to use a weapon than other members.

"For the most part, people haven't really thought of the biological or genetic underpinnings to gang membership, says Kevin Beaver, a biosocial criminologist at Florida State University in Tallahassee, who led the study.
Well, that's just...interesting.

I'm not sure I like the idea of society blaming all of its problems on "a genetic predisposed inclination toward [blank] behavior." Drugs, alcohol, violence, gang activity. It's all being blamed on genes. We're this [--] close to a world where the children of criminals will be treated differently by society out of a fear that they'll mimic all of their parents' crimes.

Maybe this explains why I beat the **** out of those kids the other day.

genetics determine everything about what personality type we are going to be......we are still free to make our own choices though

Why is it whenever I read something like this "Blame Canada" instantly pops into my head

They're not even a real country anyway.:o

Hey shut-up, I count Canada as one of the countries I've been to........don't take that away from me. Don't you dare

Genes do control more aspects of our behavior than many are willing to believe (or admit). We'd like to think that our ability of higher-reasoning somehow makes us the master of those behavioral traits, but the truth is that in many instances that ability takes a back-seat to what you may call "programmed" behaviors.

On the other hand, the concern expressed by Manic is a valid one. What are the social implications of the study of sociobiology?

Hey shut-up, I count Canada as one of the countries I've been to........don't take that away from me. Don't you dare

canadasucks.png

everyone is so friendly in Canada though.... and weeds legal!!

Just another way people can avoid personal responsibility for their own actions. Gotta love this society we have growing up around us when no one can own their own faults but blames genes, TV, media, upbringing, education, Satan rather than saying "I screwed up."

Just another way people can avoid personal responsibility for their own actions. Gotta love this society we have growing up around us when no one can own their own faults but blames genes, TV, media, upbringing, education, Satan rather than saying "I screwed up."

Don't you bring your reasonable logic in here!:cmad: Either you come here to make fun of Canada, or you get outta here!:oldrazz:

Don't you bring your reasonable logic in here!:cmad: Either you come here to make fun of Canada, or you get outta here!:oldrazz:

Been to Canada a couple times, the whole place smells like apples ... weird.

Because scientists forgot they should be curing disease, making renewable energy cheaper and making giant monsters.

I think "gangsta" is a cultural environment, not a gene.

Okay..why are we looking for a gangsta gene in the first place? :rolleyes:
He's a biosocial criminologist. That's his job.

I think "gangsta" is a cultural environment, not a gene.
I don't think anybody is arguing that environment doesn't play a role (even a large one). Phenotypes tend to have a genetic and environmental basis.

I also don't think that it's meant to sound so definite in its implication. That is to say, I don't think that they mean that everyone with this gene will join a gang. However, the idea that there are genes responsible for certain personality traits which can influence larger social decisions and actions isn't that much of a stretch at all, especially with what we've learned over the past few years.

That is to say, I don't think that they mean that everyone with this gene will join a gang. However, the idea that there are genes responsible for certain personality traits which can influence larger social decisions and actions isn't that much of a stretch at all, especially with what we've learned over the past few years.

Don't let the gays hear you say that. They can't help it, it's genetic. :whatever:

Don't let the gays hear you say that. They can't help it, it's genetic. :whatever:
Are you implying homosexuality is as much of a choice as living in a gangster life?

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"