Gary Oldman to play Winston Churchill in "Darkest Hour"

CwYXaB1WQA4fu8h.jpg

Get hyped.
That's magical makeup stuffs. The jowl even look real. lol
320px-Winston_Churchill_As_Prime_Minister_1940-1945_MH26392.jpg

Yeah, the make-up is pretty crazy. I wonder how long the process takes.

I wonder how they arrived at this casting. I would never have thought of Oldman to play Churchill in a million years.

I'm curious to hear the voice.

Yeah, the make-up is pretty crazy. I wonder how long the process takes.

Judging by that photo alone --probably half of a working day with breaks in between, i.e. up to 6 hrs.

That's how Oldman look currently without makeup:
CwXmQ5XWEAEOI_G.jpg

Oldman's look for this is awesome. Excellent job with the makeup and prosthetics.

Give this film the Academy Award for Best Makeup now. They didn't just get an actor who was a bit overweight and put some makeup on him. Gary Oldman is transformed.

I want to hear the voice. Oldman is generally pretty good with accents and such, so I bet he'll do it pretty well but for someone with as iconic and distinctive a voice as Winston Churchill, that's a pretty important litmus test.

Yea, I can slightly hear Oldman giving that speech.

Yea, I can slightly hear Oldman giving that speech.
Watch a video on YouTube called "Gary Oldman - Different Voices and Accents." Can't post it here because of a few f-bombs.

It gives you a taste of what he's been able to do with his voice over the years. His vocal versatility is insane.

Oh, I know the wide variety of voices and accents Oldman has done.

His work in True Romance still floors me to this day.

Make-up artist Kazuhiro Tsuji
https://www.facebook.com/kazut525

First official image was released
“Darkest Hour” Gary Oldman as Winston Churchill.
Since the image is out, I want to give proper credits for who worked or working on this film. I involved this project because Gary asked me to design the make-up for him about 2 years ago.
It was for the different film but finally happened this year. He told me “I will be in this film if you do the make-up” I could not say no to Gary Oldman. And it was great honor to work for him on this film. I was really fortunate to work with many great talented people and friends. And great film crews and amazing director Joe Wright. This was another daunting task since Gary and Churchill look totally different. I was not sure where this design will settle when I started to design and sculpt, and after several make up tests, it finally came together. Lab work Los Angeles - Vincent Van Dyke Effects Vincent Van Dyke, Carl Lyon, Manny Lemus, Rob Freitas, Wig maker - Bob Kretschmer, Diana Y. Choi. Body suit - Vanessa Mi Kyung Lee Make up appliance casting - DDT Efectos Especiales David Martí Mayor , Los Angeles PA - Isiah Adams. On set make up artist - David Malinowski, Lucy Sibbick.
It is very fortunate that David and Lucy doing application on set. I wish them the very best for the rest of the filming.

CwdZ07pUUAAGXJR.jpg

Terrific make-up work. Gary Oldman is gonna own this role.

That's some of the best age makeup I've ever seen. It's probably been enhanced with cgi, but regardless it's great.

Last edited:
Please let this movie be great.

Behind the scenes photo. I assume that's Oldman in the doorway.

C4jq6zaWcAAhASC.jpg

Hmm, i think Ben Mendelsohn is the first actor I've seen play George VI that actually has any resemblance to him.

Not to bring up an insensitive subject, but I really hope John Hurt had completed filming on this. I'm not much of a history buff, but how involved was Chamberlain during Churchill's early days as PM? Any idea as to the extent of Hurt's role in this?

I'm fairly certain he'd wrapped. The reason he turned down some TV projects was because he knew he was ill and couldn't commit to incredibly long shoots.

They'll be showing footage at CinemaCon on Wednesday. Also, this poster sort of speaks for itself. :funny:

C74oJHgVYAAzaQ4.jpg:large

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"