Mank | David Fincher & Gary Oldman

7311ebed962d475ed0d3848c76fd6182ddb1af22.gifv

Despite my reservations going into this I actually ended up really enjoying it. I can see why it wouldn't be for everybody though and usually this kind of movie isn't my thing either, but damn do I love a good period piece and I'm a sucker for stuff relating to that classic, Golden-Age Hollywood era even if I haven't see many of those films.

I have to admit that I actually haven't seen Citizen Kane in its entirety, although I do plan to one of these days, but I just found the history surrounding alone to be pretty fascinating and engaging even if I didn't always understand the Hollywood lingo being used all the time.

The excellent performances across the board really helped elevate as well for me, especially Oldman who is just amazing in this as well as Arliss Howard and Amanda Seyfried who had some of my favorite scenes in this movie period. Fincher's stylish direction is just top notch here and I loved how atmospheric it was throughout.

8/10

Arils Howard was really great - he should be nominated for as best supporting actor (but I suppose it’ll be Charles Dance)

This sure will find its appreciation by the Academy, because a lot of the member can relate to it.

I think I've only seen her in Jupiter Ascending and The Current War.
I’ve been obsessed with her since Sense8.

But I can say that of basically everybody on Sense8.

Do I have to watch Citizen Kane to appreciate this more?

You should watch Citizen Kane anyway.

It seems younger audiences who are discovering Kane because of Mank are enjoying it a lot, based on the flood of recent letterboxd reviews for Citizen Kane. There’s a pretty big, ORANGE reason why this film from 1941 seems so hip and relevant. I suppose if anything positive came from the Trump presidency, it was that Citizen Kane retook its mantle as the greatest movie of all time. *shrugs*

Citizen Kane is a movie, that I’ve never seen available on any streaming service (not even iTunes). I’ve seen it only one time on TV 20 years ago...

welll...HBO Max - who outside the USA is able to access it anyway?

Not too surprising... Citizen Kane is often on the Turner Classic Movies channel. Keep an eye out and set the PVR.

Fincher has reached the top of his craft. Just impeccable. When those opening credits were happening you know you're in the hands of a master.

I think whether you know the story of Citizen Kane or not or haven't seen it you'll be fine because the movie is great on it's own terms.

Well this is probably the first great movie of the 20's. At least to my knowledge.

Fincher has reached the top of his craft. Just impeccable. When those opening credits were happening you know you're in the hands of a master.

I think whether you know the story of Citizen Kane or not or haven't seen it you'll be fine because the movie is great on it's own terms.

Well this is probably the first great movie of the 20's. At least to my knowledge.

I agree. I just saw Citizen Kane and Mank back to back and I don’t really think it’s necessary to see the former in order to appreciate the latter. I really enjoyed Mank and Oldman is the GOAT...especially during that that dinner scene at the end.

Oh yeah, she was real good. Can't go wrong with a name like Tuppence Middleton, ha.

The three female leads were all great, really.

Tuppence and Lily were the stand outs for me...Amanda was ok but nothing memorable.

Great flick, but just like Citizen Kane, no real desire to ever rewatch it again. Amanda Seyfried has always been a good actress. Happy for her.

Yeah years of hard drinking will definitely do that to you, but still he does look a lot older than Oldman did in the role.

Film Twitter's just looking to cancel Gary Oldman because he beat Timothee Chalamet for the Oscar in 2017.

If anything, they cast Sara Mankiewicz too young. Middleton was great, but she definitely has a late 20's/early 30's look that throws her in striking contrast with Oldman.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"