Gatiss & Moffat to do Dracula for BBC

Gort Baringa

Civilian
Reaction score
It appears that Mark Gatiss and Steven Moffat will be producing 90 minute episodes of a new series about Dracula for the BBC!

With season five of Sherlock doubtful in the near future and Moffat leaving Dr. Who to other makers I look forward to their effort in bringing the count to life again. I hope that it is the closest to Stoker's concept ever made, but I have great faith in what these two gentlemen can come up with in the future.

I am pretty sure that the casting will be quite adequate. I wouldn't even mind if Count D. has a largely background role like in Stoker's novel - that he remains mainly an ominous unseen presense. Stay away from D. being a romantic character and do away with any strong foreign accent because the count wanted to be anonymous as possible when he terrorised England.

My favourite characterizations: Gary Oldman in Bram Stoker's Dracula, Louis Jourdan in the BBC's Count Dracula, Bela Lugosi in the1931 classic, and Max Schreck in the silent Nosferatu.

Last edited:
Won't be on screen till at least 2019. They're still in the very early stages and a script hasn't been written yet.

I posted the news on the BBC Shows thread last week on this.

“Dracula” is getting the “Sherlock” treatment, with the writers and producers of the hit BBC detective series reuniting for a new take on the Bram Stoker vampire classic. Mark Gatiss and Steven Moffat will write the series, and Sue Vertue’s Hartswood Films will produce.
Work on the new series has yet to begin in earnest, as Gatiss and Moffat are currently working on solo projects. But talks are already underway with the BBC – which enjoyed huge success with “Sherlock” – on broadcast rights in the U.K.
“Dracula” will adopt the same format as “Sherlock,” with a miniseries run of feature-length episodes.
“Sherlock” propelled Benedict Cumberbatch to international stardom for his portrayal of Holmes. With scripts not yet written, casting for “Dracula” is some way off.
Alongside British producer Hartswood, U.S. and other international partners are expected to board the new project. BBC Worldwide, the pubcaster’s commercial arm, sells “Sherlock” internationally, and it has been one of the distributor’s biggest titles in recent years.

“Dracula” will be the first collaboration between Moffat and Gatiss since the last “Sherlock” episode aired in Britain in January. They have said there are no current plans for a new series of “Sherlock,” but have not ruled out returning to write more episodes in the future.
Moffat wrote and executive produced six seasons of the BBC’s “Doctor Who” before stepping down from the sci-fi series. Gatiss is an actor as well as a screenwriter, starring in “Game of Thrones” and numerous British series including “Sherlock” itself, in which he played Mycroft, Holmes’ brother. He has spoken in the past of his love of classic horror films, particularly the 1958 version of “Dracula” starring Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing.
It is not yet clear whether, like “Sherlock,” “Dracula” will have a modern-day British setting. Stoker’s 1897 novel has the titular count attempt to move from Transylvania to England in his search for new blood.

I hope the focus is more on the evil than sexy. Whatever about the underlying themes of the novel, I'd expect Gatiss to understand that the sexiness of the character has been way over egged. Christopher Lee and Oldman in places are the ones who I believe came closest to giving us the most accurate portrayal of the character but even then, they were constricted by the interpretation of the book they were cast in.

Same. Jonathan Rhys Meyers was just groanworthy as Dracula. He can be sexy sure but the emphasis should be on horror not pouting.

Also oldman and lee are sexy in their own ways

IDK, I personally found the Oldman version of Dracula quite romantic. And that film was the most book accurate version. And the real Dracula has to have a dose of Gothic Romanticism in it. He does't have to be Mr Sexy, but the tragic romance is a fundamental part of the story of Dracula.

I would like to maybe see Adrien Brody in the role. He looks like Vlad Tepeš, with that nose, and he has both the intensity and the genteelness for the part.

I have to admit, my guilty pleasure Dracula has always been Gerrard Butler in Dracula 2000. He had never looked hotter and more alluring that in that movie. I always loved the connection with Judas, the ultimate punishment for betraying the Son of God.

200.gif

Last edited:
Henry Cavill as Dracula!

He can have a moustache and attempt a Romanian accent. Give him a monocle too.

How about, instead of a millionth version of Dracula, we get a Vlad Tepeš, the real story. You know, the history that inspired the myth. It's a pretty bloody story in itself. 15th century, the Ottoman empire, Vlad and his brother as prisoners in Istanbul, his return home, upraising against the Turks,... There is plenty material there. And it could be good, especially in a post GOT climate.

A kind of... untold Dracula story?

I've seen it, and the only thing worth remembering is Luke Evans. The rest, I have erased from my memory.

You know what would be really sweet? Getting a Dracula with a truly epic voice. You don’t see many actors with that deep theatrical voice, possibly Romanian accented too. That would be cool.

I wonder if Charles dance can do a Romanian accent. Now that would be hot and accurate to the book

I doubt Dance will do another version of Dracula after Dracula Untold. And he is too old for the part, Dracula shouldn't be older the middle-aged. Tepeš was 45 when he died, and I assume he doesn't age after death, he is just wasting away which looks like aging.

You know what would be really sweet? Getting a Dracula with a truly epic voice. You don’t see many actors with that deep theatrical voice, possibly Romanian accented too. That would be cool.

I wonder if Charles dance can do a Romanian accent. Now that would be hot and accurate to the book

I want a Dracula who looks and sounds like Count Von Count.

He could even sing a song like this:

Last edited:
I doubt Dance will do another version of Dracula after Dracula Untold. And he is too old for the part, Dracula shouldn't be older the middle-aged. Tepeš was 45 when he died, and I assume he doesn't age after death, he is just wasting away which looks like aging.

Legosi was 39 when he played Dracula on the stage and a bit older than that when he played him in a movie. Dance is older than that but he looks about forty, he could totally do it. He would just be so epic and they can age him up and down from the moment we first see him as a withered old creature to when we meet him in merry old england

But people aged quicker and died a lot sooner in the old days, so he could still reasonably pass.

Michael Shannon with his Little Drummer Girl Herzog impression as Van Helsing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"