• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

GI Joe: Real American Heroes, or "Globally Integrated" Heroes?

I agree, but they can do that without changing the nationalities of established characters.

Actually, they can't quite. The way I see it, the filmmakers only had four options with the characters:

1. Stick with the original nationalities and feature a purely American team
2. Stick with the original nationalities and feature third stringers unrecognized by almost everyone
3. Create new, original characters for the movie from varied nationalities
4. Change the nationalities of established characters.

For marketing reasons, Paramount decided Option 1 wouldn't work. Options 2 and 3 would undoubtedly raise even more complaints than already present people's favorites aren't appearing in the movie. Furthermore, they defeat the whole point of adapting the G.I. Joe brand since the recognizable characters aren't there to attract viewers. Plus, Hasbro's bound to raise a fuss both, for creating more characters they have to license as well as not using their flagship characters which they want to market as toys. That simply leaves Option 4.

I don't have a serious problem with changing the nationalities of the characters, but in their zeal to be more global and inclusive, this move might actually be even less "p.c." than if they left everybody American.

One distinctive theme of Larry Hama's design of the GI Joe characters was that they were multicultural, but still all Americans nonetheless. He purposely designed GI Joe to include multiple representatives, some which diverted from popular stereotypes, from every ethnicity as well, such as Asians (Quick Kick, Tunnel Rat, Torpedo, Jinx), Latinos (Zap, Shipwreck), Native Americans (Airborne, Spirit) and African Americans (Doc, Roadblock, Stalker). As an Asian-American man himself, I would have to believe his own personal perspective played a role in this.

This was, and still is, a very groundbreaking concept, because the general perception of the United States, especially in Europe and Asia, is that the entire United States is made up of just good-looking white people and the occasional "streetwise" black guy.

My fear is that if they internationalize GI Joe, then all these ethnic minority Americans will suddenly have their American identities disappear. Because you just know that they're not going to internationalize characters like Duke, Scarlet, Flint, etc. No, Quick Kick is going to be from Japan or China, because "that's where all people that look like that come from," Zap is going to be from Mexico, because "we all know that no Latino person can be born in the United States."

In an effort to become more inclusive, more "p.c.", I have this sneaking fear that they will in fact further cement stereotypes, and violate one of the central themes of Larry Hama's creation.

I will agree on that. One of my personal faves was Tunnel Rat (though all his media incarnations were horrible though) on the grounds that he was Asian and was neither a kung fu master or a math/science whiz.

Whether fortunately or unfortunately, the movie decided to widen the scope so that G.I. Joe would take place around the world, spanning various countries (not all of which are being occupied by the U.S.). In such a circumstance, it does essentially force their hand in deciding whether the characters should be exclusively from one country (namely the U.S.) or from various countries, with it leaning towards the latter.

This was, and still is, a very groundbreaking concept, because the general perception of the United States, especially in Europe and Asia, is that the entire United States is made up of just good-looking white people and the occasional "streetwise" black guy. <<<<<:grin: LMAO!!!!

I will agree on that. One of my personal faves was Tunnel Rat (though all his media incarnations were horrible though) on the grounds that he was Asian and was neither a kung fu master or a math/science whiz.

Whether fortunately or unfortunately, the movie decided to widen the scope so that G.I. Joe would take place around the world, spanning various countries (not all of which are being occupied by the U.S.). In such a circumstance, it does essentially force their hand in deciding whether the characters should be exclusively from one country (namely the U.S.) or from various countries, with it leaning towards the latter.

I have to agree with you Mr. Peasant on this one. I had the opportunity to read a script for the movie dated 12/7/07, so I assumed it was fairly recent (hell I assumed it was the script!), Snake eyes is french and Hawk was supposed to be British. :grin: In case you didn't know Lee Nicky / Tunnel Rat was based on Larry Hama Himself!:grin:

I have a feeling though they changed Hawk back to American seeing as how they cast Dennis Quaid in the role. I have no idea about Snake Eyes though.

I have a feeling though they changed Hawk back to American seeing as how they cast Dennis Quaid in the role. I have no idea about Snake Eyes though.
Maybe not. Don Cheadle faked an accent in Hotel Rwanda and The Oceans eleven movies. With this p.o.s Movie I wouldn't be surprised.

''This was, and still is, a very groundbreaking concept, because the general perception of the United States, especially in Europe and Asia, is that the entire United States is made up of just good-looking white people...''

HAHAHA....sorry but that really made me laugh, i think most europeans know america is massivly culturely diverse, just like Britain, France, Holland...

Anyway...i think the nationalities of the group members are the least of our worries regarding this film. I'd love express myself more on this subject, but this post has took me 15 mins to write with my ps3 joypad, i'd be here all night!

"Globally Integrated Joint Operations Entity" makes far more sense in today's world. Cobra is a terrorist group and like most of the terrorist groups today, they don't have a central base, since they have operations in secret around the world. Its no longer country vs. country but countries vs. terrorist groups.

What if Cobra isn't interested with the rest of the world? You're making Cobra out to be a cookie cutter terrorist group.

I think it would be best to stay American heroes rather than Global.

It's an equality of scale issue here. For instance, if Cobra was exclusively operating within the U.S. (or U.S. held territories), then yes, G.I. Joe ought likewise be an exclusively American group. Now if Cobra was to be an international terrorist group, operating at a global scale, it only makes sense that G.I. Joe ought to be an international organization consisting of members from various nationalities with international jurisdiction.

I would prefer for Cobra to be a homegrown group. The idea of sleeper cell Fred agents striking at American targets actually makes more sense than what they are doing in this movie, and audiences have a;ready learned that such things are possible. That idea also lends well to the concept of Joe being a small group that has to go in and neutralize targets. In sequels that small group would actually be sneaking in to the countries they enter without the knowledge or sanction of that countrys leaders. Thats how I always explained it to myself anyway...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"