The Walking Dead Glen Mazzara stepping down as EP

SuperT

I See It, I Want It
Reaction score
Walking Dead Renewed For Season 4; Glen Mazzara Steps Down as Showrunner

AMC has renewed The Walking Dead for a fourth season, but there’s a catch — and it’s a big one: Glen Mazzara is is stepping down as showrunner.

Per the network, the two parties have mutually decided to part ways. “Glen guided the series creatively for seasons 2 and 3,” AMC said in a statement. “[We're] grateful for his hard work. We are both proud of our shared success. Both parties acknowledge that there is a difference of opinion about where the show should go moving forward, and conclude that it is best to part ways. This decision is amicable and Glen will remain on for post-production on season 3B as showrunner and executive producer.”

http://tvline.com/2012/12/21/walking-dead-season-4-renewed-glen-mazzara-leaving/

What the heck are you doing AMC?

I don't like hearing that there is a difference of opinion on the direction of the show. My first inclination is that Mazzara wanted to keep pushing the boundaries and AMC wanted to soften up a bit.

Why can't we have nice things?

I don't see why AMC would want to soften up. Pushing things got it to 10 million viewers an episode. We'll see.

So if the show starts to suck. It is AMC's fault

Yep. AMC is dicking with a winning formula.

God ****ing Dammit, are you kidding me with this?! :cmad:

The Mayans were right.... this is the end of the world. :csad:

Now lets see which main character/actor will want to leave as well. Some thing is not working right at AMC. Probably budget related. :csad:

Lets just get 2 more seasons and then bring in Kurt Sutter when he wraps up S.O.A

Do you really want to have had four showrunners in the span of six seasons though?

Jesus, AMC... you're going to wind up with a lump of my own feces in your stocking this year. You've gone way past coal. :o

AMC seems hell bent on ****ing up all their tv shows. It seems the only show they leave alone is Mad Men for some reason. Everything else they start toying around with for no damn reason.

I always scoffed when someone tried to equate AMC to HBO, because it was just way too early in the game for AMC to even compare the two. After the **** they've pulled over the last few years, I know now that AMC isn't even close.

AMC seems hell bent on ****ing up all their tv shows. It seems the only show they leave alone is Mad Men for some reason. Everything else they start toying around with for no damn reason.
They tried to screw with Mad Men, but they don't own it so it didn't work. Long negotiations, but still.

I'll miss Mazzara. :( Hopefully he comes up with another show soon.

Last edited:
Maybe Glen will take T-Dog to his next show like Darabont took Shane and Dale.

This is a huge loss. TWD has improved tremendously between season 2 & 3 and we all have Mazzara to thank for. I really hope the show remains on-course (quality wise) when appointing the new showrunner.

From what I understand the guy who previously ran the network, the guy who facilitated the creation of Mad Men and Breaking Bad and the sent the channel into a very upward trajectory, he left for some reason and the new guy is apparently something of a cheapskate and difficult to work with. As far as I can tell he seems to only be concerned with reality garbage and populist schlock.

I bet it's most certainly about the budget for the show, wasn't there news that came out after Season One ended that AMC wanted to actually pay Darabont LESS money to produce the show at the same quality.

There's something wrong going on at AMC that's for sure. This is the second Executive Producer for The Walking Dead to step down, the original writers for Hell on Wheels left, the original producer for Rubicon left the show before it was cancelled, they were messing with Breaking Bad's budget, and they almost lost Mad Men as well.

...and the new guy is apparently something of a cheapskate and difficult to work with. As far as I can tell he seems to only be concerned with reality garbage and populist schlock.

Sounds like AMC's version of Tom Rothman.

I genuinely hope the response to the news is so unanimously negative and openly hateful that AMC starts to reconsider and begs Mazzara to come back. I honestly kinda hope (but don't really expect) the actors to voice their disdain for the fact that AMC has pulled this **** on them twice over, and ESPECIALLY after their highest-rated and best reviewed season yet.

Kurt Sutter (EP of Sons of Anarchy) has been pretty vocal in his disdain for AMC ever since Darabont was fired. He had this to say in regards to todays new:

AMC is run by small-minded, bottom-line thinkers who have no appreciation or gratitude for the effort of it's creative personnel. Time and time again we see events like what happened today with Glen Mazzara. They continue to disrespect writers, **** on their audience and bury their network. Mazzara took the work-in-progress that was "Walking Dead" and turned it into a viable TV show with a future. Without him, that future is dim. Showrunners are not development executives, we're not cookiecutter *****ebags that you plug into a preexisting model. TWD will suffer. Even Zombies need consistency. "Mad Men" and "Breaking Bad" will be gone soon. So will AMC. I hope their f****** stock takes a dive and the shareholders line up Sapan, Dolan and Collier and **** in their open hands. C*****.

lol

Seriously, **** AMC. I am fuming. :cmad:

I'm actually wondering if this isn't a push to tone things down. What with the NRA blaming violent media (yes yes, I know, its been the same for years) in regards to recent tragedies, maybe AMC doesn't want any blame falling on them. So creative differences made Mazzara decide to step down.

I'm extremely unhappy about this turn of events. If they dumb down things now, it'll really mess with the greatness that could come out of season 4. I wonder if the cast is feeling the same way? Hate to say, but if these problems persist, i probably wouldn't car eif they ended up killing the show off after next season.

Can't believe I hadn't thought to post this sooner...
[YT]So-kKed7AAM[/YT]
My reaction, minus the rage.

tumblr_l76f5ogQEo1qc1ev7o1_250.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"