GM's Super Bowl robot ad draws criticism

SoulManX

The Inspector!
Reaction score
DETROIT - A Super Bowl ad showing a quality-obsessed General Motors Corp. robot jumping off a bridge in a dream sequence after screwing up on the job is drawing criticism from a suicide prevention group.

But the world's largest automaker is defending the ad and says it has no plans to change the spot, which is making the rounds online and is featured on GM's Web site after making its broadcast debut during Sunday's big game.
The ad, called "Robot," opens with the machine in question dropping a screw while working on a GM assembly line. It's kicked out of the plant and finds work waving a "Condos for Sale" sign and holding up a speaker at a fast-food joint, all the while appearing saddened by watching shiny, new GM vehicles drive by.

As the Eric Carmen song "All By Myself" plays in the background, the despondent robot leaps off a bridge into the water below, only to wake up inside the darkened factory — waking up from its dream.
The New York-based American Foundation for Suicide Prevention says it started getting complaints the day after the ad aired and as of Thursday had fielded more than 250 e-mails or calls. It wants GM to pull the ad from its Web site, try to get it off video-sharing Web sites such as YouTube and apologize.
"It was inappropriate to use depression and suicide as a way to sell cars," said Robert Gebbia, the foundation's executive director.
The ad is the latest from the Super Bowl to come under fire. Earlier this week, a commercial for Snickers candy bars was benched after complaints that it was homophobic. And aspiring rapper Kevin Federline apologized after a restaurant trade group said it was insulted by an ad that starred him as a fast-food worker.
GM says the robot ad was designed to show the company's obsession with quality, highlighting its enhanced powertrain warranty of five years or 100,000 miles on all new light-duty vehicles starting with 2007 models.
Mark LaNeve, GM's vice president of sales, service and marketing, said the automaker had no plans to stop airing the ad. It had a relatively small number of runs scheduled after the Super Bowl, and those will continue, he said.
The ad was screened by focus groups for insensitivity, and all found it amusing and effective in conveying the message about GM's quality, LaNeve said.
"It's a dream sequence. It's not a person, and it's a robot that is a fantasy. I mean, that robot doesn't move around. C'mon," LaNeve said.
In a statement, GM said, "Advertising during the Super Bowl brings instant critiques, both positive and negative," GM said in a statement."
The ad has only aired once, but the online buzz has continued. The company didn't have details on how many times the ad had been watched on its Web site, but on YouTube alone it has drawn more than 350,000 views.
But Lisamarie Miller, 39, of Palatine, Ill., said she'll never buy a GM vehicle after seeing the ad online. The member of a the Chicago-area chapter of AFSP found out about it from the foundation — and has been sharing her disgust online as well as with friends, family and co-workers.
"I was completely outraged," said Miller, whose 21-year-old brother battled depression before killing himself in 1993. "GM is not being a responsible citizen by airing something that so closely imitates life."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070209/ap_en_tv/super_bowl_gm_ad

those anti suicide people should go jump off a bridge.

Good.
That add sucked.
Pretty much all of them did this year.

:cmad: ARRGH!!! IT'S JUST A FRIGGN ROBOT :cmad:
tantrumgp6.gif

They need someone to better manage their money...because this was a ****ing waste of it. :down

What the hell?

First, some of the general audience...
Then, the gay rights associations...
...Now a suicide prevention group?

Chill the f***.
It's a commercial.

What are they going after next?
The beer commercial with the rock, paper, scissors? :whatever:

Next we'll be hearing complaints about the Eggo waffle commercials.

"We want you to apologize for showing one Eggo waffle eating another one on TV. Despite how 'delicious' you claim your waffles are, that's still cannibalism!"

CHICAGO - A Toilet Bowl ad showing a very hungry Eggo waffle feasting on another waffle after seeing maple syrup being poured onto it is drawing criticism from a cannibalism prevention group.

But the world's yummiest waffle-maker is defending the ad and says it has no plans to change the spot, which is making the rounds online and is featured on Eggo's Web site after making its broadcast debut during Sunday's big game.
The ad, called "Eat my Leg O' Eggo," opens with the waffle in question walking in a plain white screen. It becomes hungry and makes food out of a "Condos for Sale" sign, all the while appearing saddened by watching Eggo commercials on TV.

As the Talking Heads song "Stay Hungry" plays in the background, the despondent waffle leaps into the TV in front of it, then eats the celebrity waffle — ending its hunger problem.
The New York-based American Foundation for Cannibalistic Preventative Disease Reduction says it started getting complaints the day after the ad aired and as of Thursday had fielded more than 250 e-mails or calls. It wants Eggo to pull the ad from its Web site, try to get it off video-sharing Web sites such as iTube and apologize.
"It was inappropriate to use hunger and cannibalism as a way to sell waffles," said Robert Gerbil, the foundation's executive director.
The ad is the latest from the Toilet Bowl to come under fire. Earlier this week, a commercial for Snickers candy bars was benched after complaints that it was homophobic. And aspiring rapper Kevin Finkleman apologized after a restaurant trade group said it was insulted by an ad that starred him as a fast-food worker.
Eggo says the waffle ad was designed to show the company's obsession with satisfying hungry peoples of all ages, highlighting its enhanced hunger warranty of five years or 100,000 bites on all new light-waffles starting with 2007 purchases.
Anthony Dorsa, the Eggo company co-founder, said the waffle-making company had no plans to stop airing the ad. It had a relatively small number of runs scheduled after the Toilet Bowl, and those will continue, he said.
The ad was screened by focus groups for insensitivity, and all found it amusing and effective in conveying the message about Eggo's food quality,Dorsa said.

"It's a waffle man. It's not a person, and it's a waffle that is a fantasy. I mean, that waffle doesn't move around. C'mon," Dorsa said.
In a statement, Eggo said, "Advertising during the Toilet Bowl brings instant critiques, both positive and negative," Eggo said in a statement."
The ad has only aired once, but the online buzz has continued. The company didn't have details on how many times the ad had been watched on its Web site, but on iTube alone it has drawn more than 350,000 views.

But Marielisa Miller, 93, of Palatine, Ill., said she'll never buy an Eggo waffle after seeing the ad online. The member of a the Chicago-area chapter of AFCPDR found out about it from the foundation — and has been sharing her disgust online as well as with friends, family and co-workers.
"I was completely outraged," said Miller, whose 12-year-old brother battled hunger before eating to death in 1939. "Eggo is not being a responsible citizen by airing something that so closely imitates life."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070209/...per_bowl_eggo_ad

:dry:

Still waiting for animal right's activists to complain about the Blockbuster commercial.

I swear to god.:whatever:

I have become utterly speechless about crap like this. There were like 100 beer commercials on during the superbowl! Do you know how many drunk drivers die, &/or kill someone every minute! God this logic is just f***ing stupid! AHHHHHH!:cmad:

Wow. I guess I had a little left in the tank.:dry:

The Pop Tarts commercials featuring living Tarts getting eaten by people is WAY too graphic and disturbing. I want them banned.

effing pathetic
I swear, some people round up their friends, whip up some snacks and get ready to enjoy the Super Bowl.

Others round up their friends, whip up some snacks and get ready to be offended by one or more of the Super Bowl ads and then organize a press conference and compose letters of wounded protest.

:down:o

I'm just glad that so far GM has basically said "screw you" to the offened people. I don't care if teh commercial was good or not, but at least they're sticking to their guns and not caving in.

WTF I dont get this part? Were they insulted because the ad implied that they'd let Kevin Federline work at their restaurants? :D

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. Thats gotta be a punch in the sack hearing about that for Federline.

I'm so fed up with political correctness.

Its just a robot having a odd dream. Nothing more than that. So robots get therapy too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"