White Bull Milk Ad 'Not Racist' Says Watchdog

the_ultimate_evil

CURSE YOU GIN MONKEY.
Reaction score
Complaints that a milk advert was racist because it showed a white bull getting "purer" by losing its black patches have been rejected.

The Advertising Standards Authority's ruling comes after it received 11 complaints about the ad which has been shown on television and in magazines.

"The cows were intended as a visual metaphor for milk which underwent extra filtration processes," the advertising regulator said.

The watchdog believes viewers of the ad were unlikely to view them as racist so widespread offence was unlikely.

During the TV ad an angry, animated bull visits a milk bar and demands milk until he drinks every bottle.

The bull is sent down a chute where his patches are gradually removed as it passes signs that say "pure" and "purer" on the way to the Cravendale Purity Room.

The ad, which was put on YouTube, has attracted a lot of controversy.

YouTube user Majestic9 commented: "I think it is damn out of order, what are they trying to say? When the cow is all white that it is sane and when it has black spots on it, it's violent."

A spokesperson for Leeds-based Arla Foods Ltd, which makes Cravendale milk, said the ads were created to represent the milk's filtration process and were not meant to be racist.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK...hat-Advert-Was-Racist/Article/200905215280563

[YT]1fJhJnWizkQ[/YT]

I guess I can see where people are coming from but that could be because I'm tripping on acid.

Seriously though I see no racism in this whatsoever. It would be like someone selling bananas and emphasizing that they didn't have black spots. It doesn't make the concept racist.

People who want to find racism will see it anywhere.

I am so sick of blaming people for racism when they had no intent of it. Anyone who finds that ad racist needs to take a look at themselves and figure out what's wrong with their brain that makes them think racist thoughts

Reading the thread title about white bull milk makes me think of that scene from "Kingpin" where Woody Harrelson starts drinking from a bucket of "milk" that he got from a bull. :hehe:

"And then in the last movie, Vader removes his helmet, and instead of a strong black man, we see this frail white mother****er! Which mean, deep down, we all wants to be white!!"

"Well, isn't that true?"

:rolleyes:

What would happen if it were a white cow that gained black patches and it says purer? Nothing, that's what.

What would happen if it were a white cow that gained black patches and it says purer? Nothing, that's what.

That wouldn't happen. White has always equated to being pure. That's just how it is. Jokingly, yeah, I would laugh because it does seem kinda racist in a comedic way, but I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

I didn't exactly get pissed off when Gandalf the Grey became Gandalf the White. In fact, I don't think anybody did. Is this ad really any different, except with cattle instead of Ian McKellen?

Henceforth, we should all dub the White Bull "Ian McCattle"

It moos with a startling amount of gravitas.

I didn't exactly get pissed off when Gandalf the Grey became Gandalf the White. In fact, I don't think anybody did. Is this ad really any different, except with cattle instead of Ian McKellen?
but he wasn't known as gandalf the black before. THAT would be racist.

But the bull wasn't black before, either. It was both black and white. Gandalf was grey, which is a different kind of combination of black and white.

So its like obama getting his skin bleached.

But the bull wasn't black before, either. It was both black and white. Gandalf was grey, which is a different kind of combination of black and white.

i cant believe were having this conversation :huh:

The difference being is that the bull had pure black spots.
`And we don't call people of mixed race "Grays".
and the word "pure" has racist (Read:Nazi) interprataions.
and Gandalf was not called "purified"

I'm still not seeing any intentional racial connotations. And I'm the guy who thinks Marvel Comics' X-Franchise staff is conspiring to turn all of their minority characters white.

But... Nick Fury was always white.

Kinda off-topic, but I hate how someone thought "African-American" was a good idea. I mean, I have yet to meet a black person who was African, and then became a naturalized American Citizen. Though, I did meet a white guy once, which made it that much more delicious.

It also fails to take Haitians into account :csad:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"