Good directors with good/bad writing skills ?

LvtLeeTDK

Fullmetal Alchemist
Reaction score
Only include directors who often write so Scorcese, Ridley Scott, David Fincher, Steven Spielberg... is invalid here.

Good writing: Chris Nolan, Quentin Taratino, Wes Anderson, Ben Affleck. I would go even further and say that Taratino is better at writing than directing.

Never watch any movie of Paul Thomas Anderson. Heard he's a decent writer.
Haven't watched enough to judge Alfonso Cuaron, but he's often said to be a good writer, too.

Bad writing:
Guillermo Del Toro.
It's the first name pops up in my mind. His directing is brilliant but his writing seems relatively weak, with bland stories and cheesy dialogue.

I haven't watch enough film to judge George Lucas and James Cameron, but it seems they're often in this category of good director/bad writer.

Last edited:
Guillermo and Rian Johnson are the kings of directors who would be so much better if they just let someone else write their movies.

Guillermo and Rian Johnson are the kings of directors who would be so much better if they just let someone else write their movies.

dont see how he is a bad writer films like brick and looper dont work without good writing and both are amazing films

James Cameron is a fine writer. George Lucas though...he is not very good.

Yeah. His dialogues are just incredibly bad

Only include directors who often write so Scorcese, Ridley Scott, David Fincher, Steven Spielberg... is invalid here.

Good writing: Chris Nolan, Quentin Taratino, Wes Anderson, Ben Affleck. I would go even further and say that Taratino is better at writing than directing.

Never watch any movie of Paul Thomas Anderson. Heard he's a decent writer.
Haven't watched enough to judge Alfonso Cuaron, but he's often said to be a good writer, too.

Bad writing:
Guillermo Del Toro.
It's the first name pops up in my mind. His directing is brilliant but his writing seems relatively weak, with bland stories and cheesy dialogue.

I haven't watch enough film to judge George Lucas and James Cameron, but it seems they're often in this category of good director/bad writer.

What about Del Toro's Spanish language films like Pan's Labyrinth, Devil's Backbone and Cronos?

George Lucas. Honestly I like the prequels, besides the overuse of CGI they're for the most part competently directed. He really should've let some other writers take a pass at his stories though.

I can't call Del Toro a bad writer after seeing Pan's Labyrinth. A beautifully written film!

More like the only decent written-film by him. Shape of Water's script is utter mediocre compared to other elements. Same for Pacific Rim.

"Writing" is more than just dialogue which is where del Toros English language scripts have had the most problems. The actual backbone of his films tend to be pretty solid. I enjoyed a lot of the writing he and Vanessa Taylor did for Shape of Water, the script for which was also nominated for an Oscar itself.

The script for Drvils Backbone e is probably better overall than Pans labyrinth. The reason why I cannot stand Crimson Prak is how much of a open rehash of that elaier films themes, literally just stating them.

dont see how he is a bad writer films like brick and looper dont work without good writing and both are amazing films

Yeah I don't know if he's just going off of Last Jedi or what, but Johnson's other films are all pretty well regarded for their writing.

More like the only decent written-film by him. Shape of Water's script is utter mediocre compared to other elements. Same for Pacific Rim.

What about Devil's Backbone and Cronos which are Del Toro's other Spanish language films and you agree when he wrotes on his own it should be in his own language?

Rob Zombie's movies are very poorly written. I wish he'd get with an actual writer. At the very least he should bring someone on board to polish.

Good writers: John Huston, Martin Scorsese (on the rare times he does), Steven Spielberg (on the rare times he does), Francis Ford Coppola (at least before he lost his mind in the jungle), Quentin Tarantino, Mel Brooks, Wes Anderson, Paul Thomas Anderson, Christopher Nolan.

And even though we don't really want to talk about him anymore, Woody Allen is a pretty brilliant writer and director. His flaws... are elsewhere.

Picking on Del Toro when people like Joel Schumacher still haven't been discussed.

Rob Zombie's movies are very poorly written. I wish he'd get with an actual writer. At the very least he should bring someone on board to polish.

I've thought the same, wishing to see what he can do with someone else's writings.

I can watch Jaws like it's my job. Goonies, with a script by Spielberg made me leave the room. It's a classic I can live without.

I've thought the same, wishing to see what he can do with someone else's writings.

I like his direction for the most part. His films usually look terrific and with the exception of some wooden performances from his wife he gets good **** from his actors. His scripts are just kinda ******. Pair him with a good writer and let's see what he comes up with.

Picking on Del Toro when people like Joel Schumacher still haven't been discussed.

Because Del Toro is one of the best and most famous directors out there while Schumacher not.

People really mentioned Scorcese and Spielberg ?

James Cameron deserves a mention here. Terry Gilliam as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"