BvS Goyer Admits They Didn't Plan How 'Reporter Clark Kent' Could Make Sense

If they can "realistically" buy a guy flying around and shooting laser beams out of his eyes, then I think they can buy that he has the ability to fool people and pull off an effective disguise too.

Last edited:
and WB fast tracked JL only after Avenger made a killing at the box office which is why they're cramming Batman, Wonder Woman and possibly Nightwing in a Superman sequel.

Messiah, this is WB. The company that has been badly managing their comic properties for years. I don't expect any miracles from them, nor am I surprised by any of their actions. Yet, even before Avengers came into existence WB had been trying for a JL movie and a WF movie. So the fact they are trying to strike while the iron is hot is again no surprise.

If they can "realistically" buy a guy flying around and shooting laser beams out of his eyes, then I think they can buy that he has the ability to fool people and pull off an effective disguise.

Except it's no where close to an effective disguise, it's a pair of glasses.

an alien having special abilities on Earth is within the realm of science fiction. A celebrity hiding among respected journalist undetected because he wears glasses is not in the realm of science fiction.

I don't understand the logic of combining Man of Steel and a stand alone World's Finest movie.

Keep them separate and you double your profits.

WB doesn't want an expanded DC universe. They just want to cram all the heroes together ASAP hoping for Avenger level profits from one or two movies.
WB has been working on this since the early 2000s. Why do you think that they never wanted it?
Nah, if Brad Pitt tried secretly working for TMZ with just a pair of glasses as a disguise are you telling me it would work?
I believe that it would. Who would really call it out? I'm sure that you work with at least one person that looks similar to a celebrity. Didn you ever question whether they actually were that celeb? I feel like most, if not all, adults would treat it as a coincidence.

Except it's no where close to an effective disguise, it's a pair of glasses.

an alien having special abilities on Earth is within the realm of science fiction. A celebrity hiding among respected journalist undetected because he wears glasses is not in the realm of science fiction.

In the novelization it gives a bit more description of how he's hiding. It's not just with the glasses, but his hair looks different and he's slouching so he doesn't look so big.

Clark's disguise has always been more about misdirection then just the glasses.

WB has been working on this since the early 2000s. Why do you think that they never wanted it?

I believe that it would. Who would really call it out? I'm sure that you work with at least one person that looks similar to a celebrity. Didn you ever question whether they actually were that celeb? I feel like most, if not all, adults would treat it as a coincidence.

WB has never had a superhero crossover until Avengers.

Coincidence? I somehow doubt it.

----

Could a famous celebrity hide among some farmers who never watch tv? probably.

Could a famous celebrity hide among respected journ as list with just a pair of glasses? No chance. Especially not long term.

In the novelization it gives a bit more description of how he's hiding. It's not just with the glasses, but his hair looks different and he's slouching so he doesn't look so big.

Clark's disguise has always been more about misdirection then just the glasses.

Well if Clark acts like a dweeb it's somewhat conceivable that others would be dismissive.

Well if Clark acts like a dweeb it's somewhat conceivable that others would be dismissive.

That's all that needs to be established. I hope they don't have Cavill take it as far as Reeve, but just enough of an act to fool people.

Again, the disguise has always been based on misdirection, so that's all we as the GA need to see on film...an effective misdirection.

Nah, if Brad Pitt tried secretly working for TMZ with just a pair of glasses as a disguise are you telling me it would work?

That wouldn't even be a believable scenario on a cartoon show.

As mentioned earlier that is the exact premise of the TV show "I Get That All the Time." where celebrities go "undercover" in everyday jobs to see if anyone recognizes them. I've never watched the show, but from what I have seen, the most the celebrity ever gets is "Do you know who you look like?" because people don't expect to see celebrities in everyday situations like that. (i.e. "That guy behind the counter at McDonald's looks just like Brad Pitt, but it can't possibly him, what would he be doing working at McD's?" It's all about people's expectations. Most in Metropolis would likely think, Yeah that Kent guy looks just like Superman, but why would a guy like Superman work at such a non-descript job like that, with his powers he could be anything he wanted.
It's not that far-fetched a concept.
George Reeves was able to pull it off quite well, his Clark seemed way a different person from his Superman. If he could pull it off, I see no reason why Cavill couldn't.

Last edited:
WB has never had a superhero crossover until Avengers.

Coincidence? I somehow doubt it.

----

Could a famous celebrity hide among some farmers who never watch tv? probably.

Could a famous celebrity hide among respected journ as list with just a pair of glasses? No chance. Especially not long term.

They've invested in cross-over projects since before Marvel Studios has existed. The Iron Man/Avengers franchise certainly put the pressure on when they got one to the public, but it isn't right to assume that WB had no interest before then.

I was simply addressing the allegations put forth in the thread title and accompanying link in which Goyer talks about the Clark Kent identity bit. I am not presuming to know anything that has not yet been seen, I am simply remarking on what we have seen. Which is why I said:

The issue is that some have qualms with is the supposed lack of forward thinking as to how such an utterly absurd premise as the "Clark Kent disguise" would function in a "realistic" world that Snyder/Goyer have gone to great pains to establish.

I was talking about the suspension of disbelief required for such a disguise to "work" in a "realistic" setting that Goyer/Snyder established.

If they want to explore the idea that someone like Clark can't hide in the future, that could be really interesting, but it doesn't have much to do with what I was talking about.
If that's your argument, then it's not a good one. From what's shown on screen, there's little reason to think people have the knowledge available to start pinpointing Clark (a person they literally all just met) as Superman.

Last edited:
I'm pretty confident that if Superman existed in the real world, the Clark Kent disguise would never work, period, under any circumstance.

I'm pretty confident that if Superman existed in the real world, the Clark Kent disguise would never work, period, under any circumstance.

I disagree. I believe that it would absolutely work, as long as he doesn't become a tv personality. With almost 7 billion people on this planet, we're more accustomed to seeing people who look like celebrities than we think. I had asked a similar question earlier, but if you worked with someone that looked exactly like U.S. President Obama, would you seriously accuse them of being the president of the United States or would you dismiss it as being silly?

I disagree. I believe that it would absolutely work, as long as he doesn't become a tv personality. With almost 7 billion people on this planet, we're more accustomed to seeing people who look like celebrities than we think. I had asked a similar question earlier, but if you worked with someone that looked exactly like U.S. President Obama, would you seriously accuse them of being the president of the United States or would you dismiss it as being silly?

Agreed you would dismiss it.

Though saying that I work with someone who is the spitting image of Scarlett Johansson. :fhm:

Seriously sometimes I wonder If I'm working next to the woman herself. I need help.

If someone where I worked looked exactly like Barack Obama (but wore glasses), and he was never in the same room when Barack Obama was on live TV, I'm pretty sure I'd know it was Barack Obama.

And I'm pretty sure everyone in the building would think so as well.

----

But again. Who cares.

In a realistic world, the military in MOS would know who Superman was right away by investigating the Kent's farm.

In a realistic world, people would also be wondering why the aliens speak English.

Last edited:
Even though nobody knowing that he's Superman is seriously stupid, I'm still super excited for when they do this scene:

supermanphonebooth.jpg

Except that I don't work with someone who looks exactly like Obama. Human faces are unique and distinctive with the exception of biological twins.

If someone in my office looked exactly like Obama, I would assume he was twin separated at birth. That logic wouldn't apply to Superman. Assuming I had met Superman and saw him up close (rather than a choppy photograph where his face was 200 pixels across), and if I worked at the Daily Planet I would recognize Superman instantly.

That is completely aside from my point, where the issue on my mind was that the government would use a combination of drones to track Superman and facial recognition software. I bought Superman destroying the drone in the movie, but in the real world that wouldn't work. He'd never be able to keep track of all the drones.

If someone where I worked looked exactly like Barack Obama, and he was never in the same room when Barack Obama was on live TV, I'm pretty sure I'd know it was Barack Obama.

And I'm pretty sure everyone in the building would think so as well.

Someone mentioned that show where they place celebrities undercover. I seen one episode where Martha Friggin Stewart worked for a day at Home Depot. She had no glasses or disguise at all, and all that happened was everyone said, "You look just like Martha Stewart...now where are the hammers." :woot:

Agreed you would dismiss it.

Though saying that I work with someone who is the spitting image of Scarlett Johansson. :fhm:

Seriously sometimes I wonder If I'm working next to the woman herself. I need help.

You can have her on your workplace. My wife would never allow it. Heh

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"