BvS Goyer Admits They Didn't Plan How 'Reporter Clark Kent' Could Make Sense

Maybe it's like he said in the movie, not wanting all the kids to suffer in acclimation as Clark has, as he was in the process of..

I personally don't think Zod is all that into "living like gods" the way we see lots of other villains say(particularly vampires). Just as I don't think he's all that into the pleasures of sexual intercourse.

No his purpose was to protect his people. He was a general, not a conserver of culture.

Protecting the people is protecting it's culture, their way of life. It's essentially what all military does, protects the way of life... or at least that's the idea (that's a different argument for more interested people to have).

Goyer talks too much. I mean why even admit something like this? To get fan suggestions?

My problem was more that they needed to terraform at all.

I mean, why make it so that you're making everyone vulnerable and mortal again, when on this planet you can have powers and be disease free and fly and make palaces in seconds with your hands and never go hungry...

:huh:

I like to think it's because, built into Zod's character, as seen even early on, is a need to control. A need to hew to the "old ways".

The powers gave him an advantage over humans, but when it comes to sheer numbers...powerful Kryptonians would threaten his ability to maintain order.

He'd be less likely to be able to control an entire new world as powerful as himself.

My problem was more that they needed to terraform at all.

I mean, why make it so that you're making everyone vulnerable and mortal again, when on this planet you can have powers and be disease free and fly and make palaces in seconds with your hands and never go hungry...

:huh:

I got the impression Zod wanted to recreate Krypton and Earth was the most suitable planet. He had no desire to recreate anything else. It was New Krypton or bust.

I got the impression Zod wanted to recreate Krypton and Earth was the most suitable planet. He had no desire to recreate anything else. It was New Krypton or bust.
That's the impression I had as well.

It's one thing to not like the decisions that are made but to think that there is no reasoning behind them is going a bit far.

Protecting the people is protecting it's culture, their way of life. It's essentially what all military does, protects the way of life... or at least that's the idea (that's a different argument for more interested people to have).

I'd have said protecting the people was doing whatever kept them the most safe, especially when their entire race was in danger of extinction... seems silly to risk it all by terraforming and taking away the advantage they had.

I like to think it's because, built into Zod's character, as seen even early on, is a need to control. A need to hew to the "old ways".

The powers gave him an advantage over humans, but when it comes to sheer numbers...powerful Kryptonians would threaten his ability to maintain order.

He'd be less likely to be able to control an entire new world as powerful as himself.

See that's an explanation I can get on board with. I'd have loved to have seen that kind of expansion of Zod's character actually within the film :)

It's one thing to not like the decisions that are made but to think that there is no reasoning behind them is going a bit far.

I didn't say there was no reasoning. I said the reasoning made no sense to me.

I'd have said protecting the people was doing whatever kept them the most safe, especially when their entire race was in danger of extinction... seems silly to risk it all by terraforming and taking away the advantage they had.

I thought this went back to how the Kryptonians were pre-programmed with certain jobs. So, without a Krypton there would be no need for Zod because he was designed to protect Krytpon. I don't think he saw any advantages in creating something different because that would go against his primary programming.

That sounds like a fine plan and one I would've opted for myself but neither of us is the General of Krypton's army.

And I'm not sure there was a large amount of risk. It was something like 10 God-like Kryptonians vs 1 untrained Kryptonian newbie and simian race population that could do little to harm them. I'd say the odds were firmly in his favor but he didn't calculate the might of Superman and the spirit of the human race! It's formulated much like any story -- it's what makes it heroic.

I thought this went back to how the Kryptonians were pre-programmed with certain jobs. So, without a Krypton there would be no need for Zod because he was designed to protect Krytpon. I don't think he saw any advantages in creating something different because that would go against his primary programming.

Exactly.

We just found the title for MOS2.
Too late to rename part one.

Yeah, this seemed pretty clear to me. Zod was a fanatic. Even when told they could co-exist with humans he was against the idea. For him it was Krypton or nothing.

That's also what made Jor-El so different from Zod. Jor-El wanted his son to be the bridge between humans and Kryptonians, while Zod just wanted to recreate Krypton the same way it was before it's destruction.

This is true. To take it a step further though, I think it's fair to disagree/take exception with said reasoning.

Yeah, this seemed pretty clear to me. Zod was a fanatic. Even when told they could co-exist with humans he was against the idea. For him it was Krypton or nothing.

This is a single element of characterization, conveyed to the audience that should infuse/explain all his other decisions.

It's why when I personally hear stuff like, 'why not mars, it would make alot of sense.' Yea, so would co-existing. Clearly Zod doesn't have that in him, and the characterization tells us so.

Sadly it's easier to just blame Goyer.
Zod would approve:o

That's also what made Jor-El so different from Zod. Jor-El wanted his son to be the bridge between humans and Kryptonians, while Zod just wanted to recreate Krypton the same way it was before it's destruction.

Yep, and Jor realized recreating Krypton in that fashion again was a futile attempt anyway considering where they eventually ended up. It's like Jor was for the future and Zod was just stuck in the past.
This is a single element of characterization, conveyed to the audience that should infuse/explain all his other decisions.

It's why when I personally hear stuff like, 'why not mars, it would make alot of sense.' Yea, so would co-existing. Clearly Zod doesn't have that in him, and the characterization tells us so.

Sadly it's easier to just blame Goyer.
Zod would approve:o

Haha...good on you for adding the red face! LOL

I just don't get all the hate he's getting. I have heard some of his complaints from others, but I don't really see what he did so wrong here that has people calling him out the way they are. Even the not creating a plan for Clark is understandable since Clark didn't make an appearance until the end. While I agree it would have been nice for him to have a plan. I don't see that he can't easily come up with a plan for the next picture.

All the hate he's getting seems kind of overboard.

I'm watching MAN OF STEEL for the first time in a while...I didn't even miss reporter Clark.

Me neither. In fact seeing him at the end was what made me have the biggest smile on my face because I had forgotten about him...lol

I understand him wanting to wipe out the human race so they could build a new Krypton and he could continue in his role.

I just don't get ridding themselves of super powers.

I mean, as a race Kryptonians explored scientific advances and had armour and ways of improving themselves by growing people rather than birthing them... so why would they reject a further improvement?

It'd still be krypton. It's just be a better, even stronger Krypton. :huh:

That sounds like a fine plan and one I would've opted for myself but neither of us is the General of Krypton's army.

And I'm not sure there was a large amount of risk. It was something like 10 God-like Kryptonians vs 1 untrained Kryptonian newbie and simian race population that could do little to harm them. I'd say the odds were firmly in his favor but he didn't calculate the might of Superman and the spirit of the human race! It's formulated much like any story -- it's what makes it heroic.

I meant risk after they'd won.

As in once they'd won and terraformed and the whole earth was theirs, what was to stop them all catching a disease and dying before they managed to re populate? Or a natural disaster occuring, or anything like that.

They could have killed all the humans, and still kept their powers, and it would have been a heck of a lot easier to rebuild their new Krypton on earth.

I understand him wanting to wipe out the human race so they could build a new Krypton and he could continue in his role.

I just don't get ridding themselves of super powers.

I mean, as a race Kryptonians explored scientific advances and had armour and ways of improving themselves by growing people rather than birthing them... so why would they reject a further improvement?

It'd still be krypton. It's just be a better, even stronger Krypton. :huh:

While not overtly expressed, I think that was just another indication of Zod's complete fanaticism. Instead seeing the benefits of co-existing he still wanted New Krypton no matter what, and once rob of that he lost his soul...even though he still had all those great powers. It was New Krypton or nothing for Zod. Powers be damned! :woot:

Sorry but i'm not sure you fully understood what I said, cause your still talking about co existing, when my opening statement of the post I quoted says I get that he didn't want to co exist...

Terra forming wasn't the only way to destroy all the humans. They could have gotten rid of them all, and started a New Krypton WITH their powers.

I actually liked the fact that Zod didn't care about having super-powers. It showed how extreme he was in bringing back Krypton and it's old ways. He had no desire of becoming a God on earth. He just wanted his old life back.

Haha...good on you for adding the red face! LOL
took your advice.

I just don't get all the hate he's getting. I have heard some of his complaints from others, but I don't really see what he did so wrong here that has people calling him out the way they are. Even the not creating a plan for Clark is understandable since Clark didn't make an appearance until the end. While I agree it would have been nice for him to have a plan. I don't see that he can't easily come up with a plan for the next picture.

All the hate he's getting seems kind of overboard.
he might just get more hate for mos from some people than the Green Lantern creators do. If only MOS had come out that year.
(if only it came out in 2005).

I'm watching MAN OF STEEL for the first time in a while...I didn't even miss reporter Clark.
I was watching the comic con trailer(still genius) and I was thinking how it would look if they restructured the plot so as to have:

Instead of clark stroll into the DP on the last beat, have him do so in the space before "you are not alone" but after returning home to martha. It would have robbed them of that clever(and new) ending(somewhat) but it may have yielded some sweet results. Such as him being in office when zod attacked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"