BvS Goyer v. Terrio: Dawn of Screenwriting

Lily Adler

#forthecontent! 📹 (she/her)
Staff member
Reaction score
So since nobody can agree whom we should praise or blame for BvS. This thread is solely for debate on this subject. Keep it civil. No accusations of haters or name calling.

The+Joker+-+And+Here+We+Go.gif

I don't think either of them could've really delivered given that the movie seems hacked to bits by a million different ideas. I'm going to give Terio the benefit of the doubt here, the man has an Oscar.

I don't think either of them could've really delivered given that the movie seems hacked to bits by a million different ideas. I'm going to give Terio the benefit of the doubt here, the man has an Oscar.

so does akiva goldsman

it was a terrible script snyder put out better results with less prestigious screen writers with 300,watchmen and man of steel

I'm not saying it was a great script, but Snyder is the director. He's behind the wheel, so to speak, driving the car (script). Even though the script has a wobbly wheel and a few dents in it, the director can still make the ride pleasant if he knows what he's doing.

It's hard to place blame, when we don't know how much of the script was Goyer's and how much of it was "touched-up" by Terrio. I still don't think the problem with the movie was the writing, for the most part, though. The dialogue is mostly good (definitely better than Man of Steel) and the story is fairly smart for the genre. I can't blame either of these gentlemen more than I blame Snyder himself and I can't blame any three of them more than I blame Warner Brothers and their insane plan to turn the movie into a piñata.

so does akiva goldsman

In truth an Oscar doesn't mean much if you don't understand the characters and what drives them and how they would act in certain situations. The "no one stays good forever" line from Superman made me fully aware that no one involved in this project understood who Superman is........no one.

well at the end of the day the cast constantly talks about terrio this and terrio that

no one even talks about goyer at all

well at the end of the day the cast constantly talks about terrio this and terrio that

no one even talks about goyer at all

I see hints of Goyerism in the film, the Batman "oh ****" line was straight up Goyer, I am willing to bet money on that.

I see hints of Goyerism in the film, the Batman "oh ****" line was straight up Goyer, I am willing to bet money on that.

WRONG

we do get an "Oh *****!" from Batman when he comes face to face with Doomsday. However, it turns out that the line wasn't actually in the script. "I just improv’d that," Ben Affleck reveals in an interview with Entertainment Weekly. "I had a feeling that it would work and that it would be funny,” the actor says. “I improvised and I talked to Zack about it and I think this will really work because you don’t expect it – and because it’s Batman, and at that moment he is so incredibly overmatched."

WRONG

we do get an "Oh *****!" from Batman when he comes face to face with Doomsday. However, it turns out that the line wasn't actually in the script. "I just improv’d that," Ben Affleck reveals in an interview with Entertainment Weekly. "I had a feeling that it would work and that it would be funny,” the actor says. “I improvised and I talked to Zack about it and I think this will really work because you don’t expect it – and because it’s Batman, and at that moment he is so incredibly overmatched."

Wow Affleck did that:csad:, I had been giving him the benefit of the doubt up until now. I had been saying nah this was all Snyder and his people Ben is innocent and then you hit me with this.:csad::csad::csad:

well me and my entire audience loved his oh **** line

You should have Snyder in the option as well. Some major plot twists were his ideas. Also, Snyder has never made a movie that cross 75% on rotten tomatoes. Problem with him goes deeper than just scripts. He can't use that as an excuse anymore.

well me and my entire audience loved his oh **** line

I hated it , it was so oh action movie like. I would expect to see crap like that in the expendables or some cheesy action flick.

The answer is the director but if we must talk screenwriters then it's simple, both.

They both have a screenwriting credit therefore both are responsible

it was a terrible script snyder put out better results with less prestigious screen writers with 300,watchmen and man of steel

300 and Watchmen are pretty much panel for panel adaptations.

First, let me say that Goyer is a great ideas man, plus now..he has a lot of experience compared to the period when he wrote Blade script.

Goyer is not as bad as people make him out to be, looking at the hate he gets.

And, Terrio is a well educated, script writer who was never interested in comic books, but he did the required research, and wrote a script that many liked, now, it's debatable as to how much of that finally made it into the movie and how much of his script was left on the editing Room floor.

Last edited:
Why is Snyder not an option in this poll? He's ultimately the one responsible for BvS.

So were blaming Terrio the Oscar winner over Snyder the hack.... :dry:

Snyder and Goyer together made the films story structure, baffling sub plots and the first draft of the film, then by December 2013 when Terrio joined, the best he could do to fix this terrible mess of an idea is by sprucing the dialogue up a bit.

Story Structure was a huge problem in BvS, not dialogue.

Snyder and Goyer together made the films story structure, baffling sub plots and the first draft of the film, then by December 2013 when Terrio joined, the best he could do to fix this terrible mess of an idea is by sprucing the dialogue up a bit.

Story Structure was a huge problem in BvS, not dialogue.

This.

BvS had a much stronger script in general than MOS. I definitely walked out thinking 'So glad Terrio had a chance to go over that, can't imagine what it was like before he stepped in'.

BvS probably has an inferior script than MoS did, but it could just be an illusion due to poor editing, poor acting, poor directing.

Though BvS had cleaner dialogue, MoS told a more focused and coherent story.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"