Grant Morrison's Wonder Woman

Well, I was referencing readers mostly and not the writers of the comics. I'm sure some of the most seasoned writers, like perhaps Morrison, 'got' what Marston was really doing and saying with his stories. However, I really don't think most readers did, and I still don't believe a good portion of them really do. Like I said earlier, whenever I've seen most fans and readers speak on the subject they just seem to think it was 'just' about Marston's kinkiness.

What I'm saying is I think that if Morrison does explore that aspect, I think most people will just misunderstand it as something as simple as that. I just think it's a stone that needs not be overturned again. Plus, I agree with Corp, I think Wonder Woman has benefited more from distancing itself from those elements anyway

Last edited:
Well, I was referencing readers mostly and not the writers of the comics. I'm sure some of the most seasoned writers, like perhaps Morrison, 'got' what Marston was really doing and saying with his stories. However, I really don't think most readers did, and I still don't believe a good portion of them really do. Like I said earlier, whenever I've seen most fans and readers speak on the subject they just seem to think it was 'just' about Marston's kinkiness.

What I'm saying is I think that if Morrison does explore that aspect, I think most people will just misunderstand it as something as simple as that. I just think it's a stone that needs not be overturned again. Plus, I agree with Corp, I think Wonder Woman has benefited more from distancing itself from those elements anyway

Oh, right. I see. Yeah, it's hard for a reader to be symbolic and nuanced about sex when people bring their own ideals and fantasy to it. It's easier for something like strength since we are channeling our power from the characters.

It's extraordinarily easy to misinterpret, given that he had Wonder Woman lose all her power when she's bound.

One of Marstson's ideas I think (and correct me if I'm wrong) was that there was also power in submission. Basically he believed that if we could accept superiority and lovingly submit to superior power we would all be better off for it. In the case of WW, her loosing her power may show why it's wrong to try to force superior power to submit. Interesting to that whenever anyone was defeated by WW they were usually ecstatic "Oh thanks WW, I see the error of my ways, I'll keep these chains on forever so I remember not to be evil..." etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Otewe2001
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"