Heinberg and Didio talk Wonder Woman

Bullseye

Superhero
Reaction score
From Newsarama:

Rounding out our conversations with Dan Didio on this week’s slate of DC news, the DCU Executive Editor confirmed for Newsarama that writer Allan Heinberg (Young Avengers) will join the previously announced artist Terry Dodson as the creative team for the relaunched Wonder Woman this summer.

“Realistically, this is a hard choice for is in finding the right person to take over the book,” Didio said on the choice of Heinberg. “One of the things I’ve thought for a long time is that if you’re following someone like Greg Rucka, you’ve got to come in with something as strong, and Allan has a true passion for the character, a real belief in the character, and a real sense of direction for the character.”

As for how long Heinberg’s run with be, Didio said, ‘Allan’s on it for as long as he wants to be on it.”

“So, what I’m hoping is that one arc leads to the next leads to the next. We might give him breaks in between, but Allan is a guy who wants to be involved in Wonder Woman’s history for a good period of time, and we’re happy to let him play as long as he wants.”

Didio was less outright when asked, “What Wonder Woman will star in the series?”, given the “Two Wonder Women” speculation that began at WonderCon, partly due to this Infinite Crisis #5 cover image.

“That would be telling,” Didio said. “Things that happen in Crisis, and things that happen in 52 have a direct impact on Wonder Woman, just like they have a direct affect on Flash, Justice League, and other books that are starting with a new #1.

”As I’ve said, if we’re going to start with a new #1, we going to do that #1 for a reason.”

Newsarama also asked the Man of the Hour (or news cycle) Allan Heinberg what some of those reasons are. But first and foremost, the writer made it clear he’s been a fan of the character from “Moment 1” of his life as a comic book reader…

“The first comic book I ever bought as a kid was Wonder Woman #212 (June/July 1974) written by Len Wein and drawn by Curt Swan and Tex Blaisdell,” Heinberg told Newsarama. “It had the Justice League on the cover and featured the first of Wonder Woman's Twelve Labors to rejoin the JLA after she'd regained her powers (and given up the white pant suit).

”Looking back, I think I must have enjoyed the idea of a hero being so powerful, yet so vulnerable at the same time. In 1974 Wonder Woman's whole life had just been turned upside down - Steve Trevor had been murdered; the Amazons left the Earthly plane; and she couldn't trust her powers or her instincts. For whatever reason, as a 7-year-old kid in Tulsa, Oklahoma, I could relate.”

In addition to that “Twelve Labors” story, which served as Heinberg’s introduction to the entire Satellite-era JLA, he also cites a love for another series of WW stories, which interestingly, featured another “version” of the character, among other creative eras.

”Because of the success of the ABC TV series, Wonder Woman devoted twenty or so amazing issues to stories about the Earth-2 Wonder Woman's adventures during WWII, which was my introduction to the JSA.

”Post-Crisis, I was a devoted fan of George Perez's ground-breaking run on the book. I loved William Messner-Loebs and Mike Deodato's ‘The Contest’. I really enjoyed the love and care that Phil Jimenez brought to the book during his run. And I'm currently humbled by Greg Rucka's complex, compassionate, beautifully rendered take on the character.”

As far as how he wound up with the assignment, he credits something he mentioned in an interview for another title. Lesson to creators - readers aren’t the only ones reading these things…
“When I was initially doing press for Young Avengers, I was asked to name my favorite comic book characters, and I've had a profound emotional attachment to Wonder Woman (and the Barbara Gordon Batgirl) for as long as I can remember,” Heinberg explained. “So, when Dan Didio decided to move forward with the “One Year Later” concept after Infinite Crisis, he and I started talking about the character, and my pitch grew out of those conversations.

Like Didio, the writer isn’t saying too much in regards to exactly who stars in his series, but that question is certainly front-and-center to his plans…

“I'm afraid I can't say too much,” he said, “But the first arc is called ‘Who Is Wonder Woman?’ - an obvious homage to Wolfman and Perez's ‘Who Is Wonder Girl?’ - and unravels the mystery of who wears the uniform after Infinite Crisis while attempting to explore the character's essential nature, her morality, her mission.”

That’s not to say Heinberg has to be completely silent on “who” he thinks Wonder Woman is…

“In the simplest terms, Wonder Woman is the pride of the Amazons,” he stated. “The champion of the Greek gods - who has been sent to Man's world to be a warrior for peace.”

We also asked the writer what he views as Wonder Woman’s place in the DC Trinity?

Replied Heinberg, “As one of DC's ‘Big 3’, I think it's tempting to think about Wonder Woman in relation to Superman and Batman, but in my experience it's not a terribly useful means of coming to terms with her essential character. Her archetypal role in the DC Universe - and her essential purpose - has never been as clearly defined.

“She's arguably as strong as Superman and as cunning as Batman, but she's not the archetypal Boy Scout or Dark Knight. She's been a princess, a goddess, a politician, an author, and a superhero. She's a pacifist, yet she's arguably the DCU's fiercest warrior. She has one of the most complex histories and supporting casts in comics history. But with Wonder Woman #1 we have an opportunity to peel back the layers a bit and simply ask, ‘Who is this woman? What does she want? And what's she going to do about it?’”

Heinberg cites his predecessor Greg Rucka’s work on the series as a heavy influence, and said that he and Dodson will “attempt to continue to tell Wonder Woman's story in a way that honors his extraordinary, deeply felt work on the book.”

Another creator heavily influencing his approach to the series and character will (of course) be its penciler, Terry Dodson.

“Terry Dodson is without question one of the most brilliant artists in comics and a wonderful, generous, inspired collaborator,” Heinberg said, “The pages I've seen so far are absolutely gorgeous, incredibly sexy, and - best of all - fun. Working with him (and with Rachel Dodson and colorist Alex Sinclair) has been a complete pleasure.”

And Dodson’s particular talents in terms of drawing female characters will not go wasted either…

“The Golden Age Wonder Woman's story was originally set in motion by her attraction to Steve Trevor,” explained Heinberg. “Her uniform and her sexuality were revolutionary in the 1940's and a huge source of her subversive power at the time. So, inspired by that version of the Wonder Woman, Terry and I are hoping to bring some of her subversive sexiness to the modern age character and to the book, as well.”

Before letting the writer go, we also asked him about the series’ scheduling, first inquiring how long he plans to remain with the series?

”Right now, Terry are focused on our first arc, which continues to evolve, and could be as many as five or six issues. And I'd love to be on the book for as long as I have solid stories to tell - and enough time to write them properly, so stay tuned...”

And on that subject, we also asked if what steps are being taken to assure a regularly shipping series given the writer’s television work and other comic book assignments?

“Without meaning to sound defensive, I think there's been a fundamental misunderstanding about my scheduling issues,” he responded. “My TV and film commitments really only limit the number of issues of a particular book I'm able to do. Companies like Marvel and DC simply cannot afford to have their artists waiting around for a writer to deliver pages. And artists (who get paid by the page) can't afford it, either. If a writer is late with script pages, you lose your artist. It's an economic reality of the business.

“That said, Young Avengers (which is now bi-monthly) is an extremely labor-intensive book for everyone involved, and Marvel has been unbelievably generous about giving Jim Cheung and me the time we need to make every single issue everything we want it to be.

”As for Wonder Woman, DC has taken pains to give Terry and me enough lead time to allow us to meet our monthly deadlines. But the fact is, we're human beings and comics are a creative medium. In the end, I'd rather produce a book I can be proud of than one that comes out every month regardless of its quality.”

Finally, we wrapped up our conversation by asking Heinberg for a few teases to hold fans over until the new series launches this summer…

His reply?

“Some fresh and familiar faces, classic and new antagonists, action, romance, and hopefully a few surprises.”

What's with that part of her not trusting her instincts? After so many years she now doubts herself? Not very inspiring. So many contradictions it's hard to see where they're taking her.

Also, Wonder Woman can become stronger than Superman. She only has to pray for that power and zip, the gods give it to her. Even Ares would grant her more power if she prayed to him.

Well, by trusting her instincts in the first place, she killed Max Lord and ultimately got a bunch of her sisters killed before banishing them from this realm of exsistance. I think she would start to doubt herself a bit after all that business.

The outside world will never accept the Amazons as they are. The threat can come from anywhere.

Except it came as a result of her actions. Sure, I agree with you, it coulda came from anybody and for whatever reason. But it didn't, and maybe WW will come to that conclusion eventually, but for now, she's gotta deal with the consequences of her actions.

I think the whole "trusting her instincts" part of the interview was talking specifically about the portion of Wonder Woman history in the 70s when she lost her powers and went all mod squad on us, not about currently in the Crisis or how he's planning to write her.

It's good to hear that he likes Rucka's run. Hopefully he'll be able to tie up the numerous loose ends that were left by Rucka.

Oh, guess I should stop skipping around. But I'm still right. :)

I think Heinberg's upcoming run on relaunching Wonder Woman will overshadow Greg Rucka's run.

Still, it was a good run for Rucka.

Are you kidding? Rucka did a phenominal job on WW. I never seen her so well-defined.

Well, I can't make a proper comparison, seeing as it's the only run on Wonder Woman i've ever read.

I've never read a WW comic in my entire life, but I'm getting this because I loved Heinberg on Young Avengers and the Dodsons always give me something pretty to look at.

Orko Is King said:
I've never read a WW comic in my entire life, but I'm getting this because I loved Heinberg on Young Avengers and the Dodsons always give me something pretty to look at.

You'll wanna check out Rucka's run. :up:
Pretty sure it's slowly being collected into TPB, too.

I'm looking forward 2 Heinberg run on Wonder Woman , hopefully he would show Diana true STRENGTH/FIGHTING-SKILLS & History...
I feel nobdy really understand Diana true strenght/chacarter but Wolfman & Perez..

I thought Rucka did a respectful job of defining Wonder Woman.

I'm glad to see Heinberg wanting to write Wonder Woman. I'm hoping this won't hinder his work on Young Avengers.

He's taking a year off on YA. The books going into hiatus. So, WW will be the only book he's gonna be writing.

Which sucks. I'd take more Young Avengers over Wonder Woman any day. :(

I'd take both. I want to see what he can do for Wonder Woman. I'm sure he's gonna suprise us all... just look at all the twists and turns in Young Avengers.

TheCorpulent1 said:
Which sucks. I'd take more Young Avengers over Wonder Woman any day. :(

Thats because your a boy hungry perv.

There are girls in Young Avengers. Just because you focus solely on the boys, don't start projecting your perversions on me. :o

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"