Graphic Novels in Chronological order?

Josh Bond

Sidekick
Reaction score
Could someone please tell me the chronological order of Batman graphic Novels?
Thanks.

I think it's obvious that Year One takes place in the first year, as probably does The Man Who Laughs, the Monster Men, and it's sequel the Mad Monk (although I haven't read it, that's what it sounds like). The Long Halloween and Dark Victory are probably in the next two years, either 2 and 3, or 3 and 4 I'm guessing.

Can't say I'm too sure about some of the other ones, I remember someone made a pretty good timeline a while back, I'll see if I can dig that one up.

This is the list of my graphic novels-
http://www.superherohype.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10883249&postcount=6

I'm not completely sure how right I am, but it flows nicely.

Year One obviously takes place over 12 months, but glosses over some months, and it's been said by Wagner that Monster Men and Mad Monk take place in the last couple of pages of Year One, and of course The Man Who Laughs is referenced there too.

This is the list of my graphic novels-
http://www.superherohype.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10883249&postcount=6

I'm not completely sure how right I am, but it flows nicely.

Year One obviously takes place over 12 months, but glosses over some months, and it's been said by Wagner that Monster Men and Mad Monk take place in the last couple of pages of Year One, and of course The Man Who Laughs is referenced there too.
Really good list. :up:

One thing though; DKR isn't in continuity.

Really good list. :up:

One thing though; DKR isn't in continuity.
Oh I know DKR isn't in continuity :yay:
That was a list of the books I own, and since the majority of buyers would get those ones, I just added them to show where they could go.

Thanks again everybody, this is a big help!

One question- what are graphic novels and what does chronological order mean??

I don't know how to explain a graphic novel... it's like a comic in book form instead of the single issues. Someone else can probably give a better definition but that's the general idea. And chronological order is just the order of which came first through which came last. Like events, in the order that they happened.

One question- what are graphic novels and what does chronological order mean??

imagine if you took numerous single issue comics, and published them all together in one big book...thats pretty much what a graphic novel is. chronological order meaning, the events in "this" batman story happens before the events in "that" batman story.

Now imagine a sock puppet. Imagine the sock puppet making dirty sock puppet gestures.

That's how Mark Millar spends his weekends.

imagine if you took numerous single issue comics, and published them all together in one big book...thats pretty much what a graphic novel is. chronological order meaning, the events in "this" batman story happens before the events in "that" batman story.

I don't know how to explain a graphic novel... it's like a comic in book form instead of the single issues. Someone else can probably give a better definition but that's the general idea. And chronological order is just the order of which came first through which came last. Like events, in the order that they happened.

thanx guys!! I understand it now!! :hyper:

imagine if you took numerous single issue comics, and published them all together in one big book...thats pretty much what a graphic novel is.

Not to be nit-picky, but a graphic novel is a stand-alone story not written as a part of a normal monthly comic (like the Killing Joke). What you described is a trade paperback. :cwink:

Not to be nit-picky, but a graphic novel is a stand-alone story not written as a part of a normal monthly comic (like the Killing Joke). What you described is a trade paperback. :cwink:

yeah, i know, i usually point that out myself...i just didnt want to confuse the kid....they'll learn in time.

Not to mention, nearly everyone refers to TPBs as GNs even though they're not.

For all Batman fans out there (still) wondering how to order their comics (trades & issues) in reading order,
or for those curious to find out if X issue of Nightwing happened before Y issue of Batman (without reading 4-5 issues again),
or if you're just looking for the names of creators of a certain issues,
here's the link to a .pdf document (53 pages) of my exhaustive "personal" continuity.

http://www.box.net/public/s7e3x4g4yr

It includes most post-crisis on infinite earths Batman-related stories, so pretty much any batman title (and related characters) that's been published after 86/87 should be in there somewhere... except elseworlds, a few (IMO uninteresting) GNs and some (ok, lots) LotDK story arcs... and the pre-crisis stuff of course (though I'm slowly working at incorporation some more of these stories that are still relevant).

There's still some stuff I need to insert, but I've listed whatever is pending/missing in the notes section at the end, and figuring out where they fit in shouldn't be too much of a problem others (except for the JLA and Gotham Central stuff).

It's a work in progress, so don't hesitate to give me your feedback/comments.

enjoy!

For all Batman fans out there (still) wondering how to order their comics (trades & issues) in reading order,
or for those curious to find out if X issue of Nightwing happened before Y issue of Batman (without reading 4-5 issues again),
or if you're just looking for the names of creators of a certain issues,
here's the link to a .pdf document (53 pages) of my exhaustive "personal" continuity.

http://www.box.net/public/s7e3x4g4yr

It includes most post-crisis on infinite earths Batman-related stories, so pretty much any batman title (and related characters) that's been published after 86/87 should be in there somewhere... except elseworlds, a few (IMO uninteresting) GNs and some (ok, lots) LotDK story arcs... and the pre-crisis stuff of course (though I'm slowly working at incorporation some more of these stories that are still relevant).

There's still some stuff I need to insert, but I've listed whatever is pending/missing in the notes section at the end, and figuring out where they fit in shouldn't be too much of a problem others (except for the JLA and Gotham Central stuff).

It's a work in progress, so don't hesitate to give me your feedback/comments.

enjoy!

Woah.

Hmn,interesting.Does anyone have a list of Pre-Crisis Batman novels?Or were there none?It would be interesting to see a Pre-Crisis list that evolves into Post-Crisis times.

Good lists from everyone! CConn, the batsquad link wouldn't pull up?? Is the site old, or was I experiencing internet problems at work?

Oki, here's the latest update of my post-crisis Batman continuity list

html version: http://www.box.net/shared/ny34uqqm00

pdf version: http://www.box.net/shared/735z84k6jx

Just Added:

- Both Batman / Punisher books
- Underground Railroad (last missing NML core title arc not in there)
- JLA: The Tornado's Path
- Green Arrow: Seeing Red
- Scream If You Love Me from 1998 Batman Villains secret files and origins
- 3 stories from 1997 Batman secret files and origins

Also, even though they're still listed in the "Insertion Uncertain" category in the notes, I've decided not too include the Matt Wagner Dark Moon Rising series (Monster Men and Mad Monk) for various reasons. Not because I disliked them, but because they (Monster Men at least) "clash" too much with Prey and the initial post-crisis interpretation of Hugo Strange. For those who are wondering where "exactly" they would fit, I would put Monster Men between "Catwoman: Year One" and "Prey," and Mad Monk would go between "Prey" and "Gothic."

No changes / corrections otherwise (that I remeber as I post this)

So there you go. I don't think I'll have much time to update this until WWIII starts at least, but I'll definitely come back once I get some more done.

As always, feedback etc is more than welcome.

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"