Group Unveils Satan Statue Design for Oklahoma

That's perfectly fine if it gives you comfort. You are right, there's more, the universe is so big and so vast we've barely even scratched the surface of what its secrets are, we may never know everything before it eventually rips itself a part (or contracts depending on the theory). But history has shown that there tends to be a logical solution to things that were once the place of gods. The thing is in the last 500 years science has eaten away at these characters and their place in the universe, slowly but surely they are being reduced to bit players because we are discovering the real meanings behind how things work. And as technology gets more and more advanced that's only ever going to continue. There is more, a lot more, but as history as shown we will actually work it out at some stage, and that to me is actually the greater achievement, that's when we truly reach our full potential. At the moment we are still at a stage in human development where the old myths are trying so desperately to hold on, even going so far as to create nonsense like intelligent design as a means of justifying their teachings. But at some point I'm quite confident we will rise above that, we will reach out full potential as a species and these religions of today will be looked back upon as being no different to ancient Green, Roman, Pagan, Mesopotamian, Egyptian or Norse ones. And that my friend is the one heaven Atheists do think is possible.

Well said jmc, this pretty much reflects my views on the matter.

Religous beliefs aside,

The body produces and uses too much energy to just "go away" after death. I'm sure there's some kind of scientific plausibility for "ghosts" and other paranormal events, we just haven't figured it out yet. But I'm dead set (no pun intended) on believing that our body's energy has something to do with it.

I'm seeing people misusing the word "energy" left and right in here. Some of you need to brush up on the definition of that word and maybe brush up on the scientific method while your at it.

---------------

How do some of you NOT see that the door for this was opened the moment the 10 commandments was put there?

Either every belief has equal right to put their monuments at the state capital or NO ONE CAN!

It's that simple!

Sure, I think its a troll move - but its an effective troll move. Look at it objectively. The beliefs of christianity can be seen as just as absurd and with no place in government. Thus, pastafarians, satanists with their ironic winged goat statue, highlighting that absurdity.

Look how mad some of you are getting over it. They're just symbols. By flipping out you're making their point for them.

The point is that the Ten Commandments should not be displayed anywhere in a PUBLIC setting. Why should the Christians be allowed to ignore the separation of church and state, but no one else is allowed to?

Why should atheists (or any other religion for that matter) ignore the blatant disregard of the constitution? Do you really think that Christians would just ignore a monument to Allah? Of course not. So why should atheists ignore a Christian monument?

The Satanist statue is obvious trolling, but it's supposed to make a point. If Christians are so against the statue, then they should realize that other religions (or lack of) are so against their display of the Ten Commandments. In other words, take down the damn Commandments and people will stop trying to erect Satanist statues.

You both nailed it. The point of this statue is whooshing right over so many people's heads.

That's perfectly fine if it gives you comfort. You are right, there's more, the universe is so big and so vast we've barely even scratched the surface of what its secrets are, we may never know everything before it eventually rips itself a part (or contracts depending on the theory). But history has shown that there tends to be a logical solution to things that were once the place of gods. The thing is in the last 500 years science has eaten away at these characters and their place in the universe, slowly but surely they are being reduced to bit players because we are discovering the real meanings behind how things work. And as technology gets more and more advanced that's only ever going to continue. There is more, a lot more, but as history as shown we will actually work it out at some stage, and that to me is actually the greater achievement, that's when we truly reach our full potential. At the moment we are still at a stage in human development where the old myths are trying so desperately to hold on, even going so far as to create nonsense like intelligent design as a means of justifying their teachings. But at some point I'm quite confident we will rise above that, we will reach out full potential as a species and these religions of today will be looked back upon as being no different to ancient Green, Roman, Pagan, Mesopotamian, Egyptian or Norse ones. And that my friend is the one heaven Atheists do think is possible.

I agree; and I am very optimistic about the future.

However, so much damage has been done, I honestly think that in some respects society has regressed in spite of advances in technology and understanding of science.

I mean, I may be wrong, but its my understanding that the young earth creationist movement, its popularity, and the attempts to claim scientific credibility, is a relatively recent phenomenon.

In the 19th century the geologic time scale showed the Earth to be much older than previously believed; and most people were apparently willing to accept that.

Take this source with a grain of salt, I guess.

http://www.beyondcreationscience.com/index.php?pr=Read_Chapter_6

The reason the 19th-century dispensationalists accepted an ancient earth is simple: the idea of an ancient earth was the dominant if not universal belief among Christians at the time, even long before Charles Darwin.

Gary North, another historian who differs with Noll on many points, concedes that young-earth creationism was intellectually dead at the time of the Scopes Trial. He says:

[Bryan] was not a six-day creationist. Because, in 1922 there weren't any six-day creationists in the Protestant religion. There was only one guy anyone had heard of who held the position and that was a man by the name of George McCready Price.

The chapter goes on to describes another dude called Morris who thought a literal interpretation of Genesis and Revelation go hand in hand (you're more likely to believe the later if you believe the former). These literal views of Genesis convinced a radio preacher who spouted this stuff off on the radio for millions of Americans.

But Morris was a nut that thought Jesus was coming within his lifetime.

The signs have been increasing in clarity for many years now. I remember my grandmother quoting an evangelist she had heard talking about Mussolini and other supposed signs of that day, predicting that Christ would return in 1933. When the atomic bomb exploded in Japan in 1945, even though I knew better than to set dates for Christ's coming, I was certain His return was so near that I almost decided not to go to graduate school. I have kept a plaque reading PERHAPS TODAY! on my office wall for almost 50 years now, and have noted that the signs which seemed so obvious 50 years ago have continued to grow in intensity with each passing year. Surely the Lord is coming soon!

It's thanks to nut jobs like this that think they see signs of the end times in everything that young earth creationism became what it is today. How sad; how utterly frustrating. And you can hear many fundamentalists today with the same sort of views; not just in young earth creationism, but utterly convinced 'soon! soon! Jesus is coming soon! All the signs are here!', and they keep saying it as half a century passes, and as more and more decades pass.

The scientific understanding of the age of the Earth and evolution has only improved and become more robust in that time and yet young earth creationism is probably more popular now than its ever been. It's very, very sad.

The information age has been a double edged sword. People have access to vast amounts of information right at their fingertips, but ignorance spreads through the same technology, creationists eating up info only from pre-approved sources, existing in their bubbles, immune to the other aspects of the information age.

I don't think the media helps, either.

BdizXmuCYAAmFSC.jpg:large

Yet I remain hopeful. As time goes on, any curious youngsters can easily come across the info to rebuttal the falsehoods of their fundamentalist upbringing, the progress of science will leave fundamentalism more and more behind in the dirt in which they have nothing to show for all of their claims.

So uh, any Satanists have any opinion about the statue?

:o

It's 1pm. They are sleeping Warhammer. A night of goat slaughtering would tire even the most active man out.

Damn it. I was hoping for at least one of them to show up.

:csad:

Religous beliefs aside,

The body produces and uses too much energy to just "go away" after death. I'm sure there's some kind of scientific plausibility for "ghosts" and other paranormal events, we just haven't figured it out yet. But I'm dead set (no pun intended) on believing that our body's energy has something to do with it.
Nobody has ever argued that that energy simply disappears. I think you misunderstand what energy actually is and how it works, not to mention how it functions within the human body.

People love to invoke "energy" as some sort of pseudoscientific catch-all for anything that is intangible. This is inappropriate, inaccurate, and counterproductive.

So uh, any Satanists have any opinion about the statue?

:o

Let's be real. 99% of Satanists are just like pastafarians.... they're just atheists, but pretend they believe and worship spaghetti monsters or red-horned evil dudes to provoke others. But pastafarians are at least funny and lulzy when they do it. Satanists are just kinda pathetic.

"Yaaaah, maaaaaan.... I pray to the prince of daaarkneeessss, maaaaaan.... maybe you've heard of him, his name is Satan, maaaaan, does that frighten you and your fellow sheep?....... My parents didn't hug me enough, maaaaaaaan..... so now instead of moving on, I worship the embodiment of misery and torment, maaaaaan..... I wish my all black wardrobe didn't make all my dandruff stand out so much, maaaaaan... "

As much as I'd like to, I can't take credit for "lulzy." That's been kicking around 4chan for about a decade.

They're not bad per se. They're just confused and they willingly set themselves up for mockery by taking such a dumb concept (worshipping Satan) so seriously. It's not like the pastafarians whose "religion" revolves around irony and satire. I knew a guy in highschool who was a self-proclaimed satanist and no one wanted to be his friend, not because they were scared of him (although that's what he thought), but because, with his all-black wardrobe he bought at Hot Topic, his scented candles, made up belief system and Anton LeVey autobiography he carried everywhere, he made himself into a joke.... just like anyone who tries too hard to be something they're not. Because as soon as he entered college, he was normal again. In my experience almost all "satanists" are like that. None of them really believe in Satan. I'm atheist because I really don't believe in God. And I respect people who really do believe in God, even if I disagree with them. But I can't respect Satanists, because they're just a bunch of phonies looking for attention.

I think this is appropriate for the thread.

[YT]ofamFBk92Pk[/YT]

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"