Group Unveils Satan Statue Design for Oklahoma

So they joke about believing in something just to piss off a group of people?

Thanks for giving me another reason to hate Atheists. Like a Vegan who constantly tells me how bad the burger I'm eating is bad for me. Just stop talking, you're a ****ing moron.

Well, that's not very Christian of you. This religious tolerance you speak of works both ways.

Yeah it was wrong. I am apologizing. I know its hard to believe, especially on the internet.

Says the guy who made fun of the Pastafarian for what he was wearing when he was sworn in :whatever:

Pot, meet kettle.

You judge me, and yet you still don't have the ability to look at your own comments and realize they were insensitive.

Sadly, I know one of the individuals involved with this effort.

What does that have to do with y'all? Unless you two are hundreds upon hundreds of years old, what is the point of bringing up old stuff? This is like me holding a grudge against white people for slavery. It wasn't my fight nor is it my place to be harbor hostile feelings because of it. At least be contemporary, y'all.

:o

I love how Atheists tend to just hate Christians. They never talk about Jihadist's or the Israeli Palestinian slaughtering's over the rule of Jerusalem for centuries. You know why? Because most Atheists in the US grew up Christian and chose it as their personal vendetta to stick it to anyone who believes in Christianity.

Believe me I get it, Christians did some horrible stuff a thousand years ago, but so did every other group of human beings since the beginning of time.

I also get that you guys don't believe in a God, I have no problem with it. What I do have a problem with is the constant backhanded comments about believing in "make believe friends and talking snakes". Which clearly is yet again another example of crude and insensitive comments made to just get a rise.

It's people who pull that bullsht that I have no respect for.

Who said I was an atheist? That's like saying I must be gay for defending gay rights. Or black or a woman because I defend their rights. Using this assumptive logic I must be a black lesbian atheist who hates Christians.

All you really know about my religious beliefs is that I find the self-righteous attitude of some Christians as unacceptable. Beyond that you don't know anything about me.

And my point was that Christianity has so long held a tight rein on the government (in all its forms) throughout all of America's and most of Europe's history that now with other religions or lack of religions is becoming acceptable, you're suddenly becoming the persecuted.

You don't have to go back a thousand years. You don't even have to go back one hundred years to see the kind of **** Christians pull in the name of religion. I can probably find something in the past month that shows how dispicable Christians can be. That's a far cry from declaring all of them as the same however, unlike the declarative that all atheists must be terrible people.

And plenty is said against the jihadists and the slaughters over Jerusalem, you just choose to ignore it because you're often right next to them condemning them for those acts of violence. It only crosses your radar when someone is talking about your religious beliefs. Suddenly it's intolerance or it's persecution against you. You fail to see just how much your own biased views have colored your perspective.

I think the worst any atheist has ever done to a Christian (or any religion) is mock them. I don't know of a single atheist who ever killed someone else in the name of believing. But plenty of people have died for not being Christian. Atheist, pagan, Muslim, Buddhist, the "wrong" flavor of Christianity... Muslims do that too but they aren't the topic at the moment.

That still happens today btw. It might not be in the US or Europe but it does happen in other predominately Christian countries where you being a nonbeliever will get you killed.

Who said I was an atheist? That's like saying I must be gay for defending gay rights. Or black or a woman because I defend their rights. Using this assumptive logic I must be a black lesbian atheist who hates Christians.

All you really know about my religious beliefs is that I find the self-righteous attitude of some Christians as unacceptable. Beyond that you don't know anything about me.

Jumping the gun again, man. I never said you were an atheist. I questioned what persecution of non-believers hundreds of years ago is relevant to the discussion. It doesn't matter whether you were atheist or not. What does it have to do with you, whether you are an atheist or not?

That still happens today btw. It might not be in the US or Europe but it does happen in other predominately Christian countries where you being a nonbeliever will get you killed.
What country is this? I'm genuinely curious.

Id just like to post this here as well.

As soon as I acknowledge I was in the wrong, some of these people just stop posting. Some just come online just to argue their point and have no desire to find common ground or any type of reason with an opposing side. It's people like this that make debate impossible.

There has to be room to speak your opinion, then hear what the other has to say. If you are so hell bent on just trying to prove how right you are and how wrong they are, you run yourself in circles.

I understand I was contradicting myself before when making fun of the Pastafarian for his beliefs but then get upset when an Atheist bashes mine for having "imaginary friends and talking snakes". Both comments were in the wrong and I would just like to apologize.

Nick, I'm not saying I'm in the same boat as you, but I simply cannot comprehend the idea of someone not believing in God, or more specifically, believing in some kind of spiritual presence. And yeah, I've bashed atheists too, like you, which is wrong, and it's good to see when people like you (or us) own up to it :up:

The point is that the Ten Commandments should not be displayed anywhere in a PUBLIC setting.

You say this as if the Ten Commandments are a list of rules that are pertinent only to one religion. To quote a movie: "Do not kill. Do not rape. Do not steal. These are principles which every man of every faith can embrace." Christians and Jews follow these yes; and though they don't follow the Decalogue specifically, many other religions have similar codes of behavior because...well...trying to remind people not to lie, steal, kill, etc is kind of universal.

The idea that people - of any faith - can't/shouldn't display aspects of their religion "in PUBLIC" as you say, is a direct violation of the Free Exercise Clause.

Why should the Christians be allowed to ignore the separation of church and state, but no one else is allowed to?

This is funny. First off, you mistake the fact that 78% of Americans identify as "christian" with government favoritism. Secondly, though Christian imagery is seen more simply because it is the largest religion of this country, other religions are not absent from public view. Never mind the fact that Christian imagery is absolutely not safe from taken down, and is constantly being fought over. Just look here for some examples. And here. And here. And here. And here's one more (of many). These are just some examples of the Ten Commandments being taken down. Plenty more you can find of other Christian imagery being removed (ie: here and here).

Why should atheists (or any other religion for that matter) ignore the blatant disregard of the constitution?

Have you read the Constitution? If so, you wouldn't be calling it a "blatant" disregard. The "separation of church and state" is not the absence of religion in public or government, which you seem to think it is. A "blatant" disregard would be a person being arrested for being of a particular faith, or, the government saying "we are now officially THIS religion, so you can only practice THIS religion", or (something less subtle): the passing of laws that give larger tax breaks to one qualifying religion and not the other.

The Establishment Clause means the following: No state, nor the federal government can not establish a particular church/religion as the "state religion" (ie: North Korea, Pakistan, England, Finland ,etc. The government is also not allowed to pass laws that support/hinder any religion over any other.

The Free Exercise Clause means: The government can not force people to practice - or not practice - any religion; nor can it punish a person for their beliefs/nonbeliefs. It also cannot enact any laws that impede the ability to practice a specific religion.

If there are unconstitutional acts occurring, then YES, it needs to be addressed, but allowing the Ten Commandments, Menorah, Quran passages, etc in public is NOT establishing a religion, nor sponsoring one as the "official" religion. Religious imagery - of all types - has been an incredibly large and significant part of all of human culture and history. The majority of people in this country hold some type of religious view and to claim that the Constitution means that said religious heritage and imagery should be hidden away from public view is bogus and is itself unconstitutional - iconoclasm is NOT what the Constitution intends.

Do you really think that Christians would just ignore a monument to Allah? Of course not.

Well, considering 74% of Americans approve of non-christian religions being allowed to have imagery displayed, I think it's safe to assume that most Christians (making up 78% of the population) wouldn't complain.

The Satanist statue is obvious trolling,

Which is why it shouldn't be allowed. Have you not heard of the Lemon Test?

If Christians are so against the statue, then they should realize that other religions (or lack of) are so against their display of the Ten Commandments.

Christians are against it because as you said, the statue is nothing but trolling and its from a "religion" whose beliefs mostly are the exact opposite of Christianity and most other religions. If you're going to purposefully name your religion after the ultimate evil entity of another religion you don't really have the right to complain or be surprised when that religion doesn't like you. That being said, most religious people (here anyway) are pretty accommodating to other religions in that regard. Sure, there's the vocal minority, but everyone wants to be allowed to practice and promote their faith and are aware that in order to do so, you have to allow others the same ability. But I find it amusing that you complain about christians, as if they are the major voice in religious censorship. Atheists have that title.

In other words, take down the damn Commandments and people will stop trying to erect Satanist statues.

This is baffling. I hope you don't apply this type of logic your life - what a crummy way to live.

You say this as if the Ten Commandments are a list of rules that are pertinent only to one religion. To quote a movie: "Do not kill. Do not rape. Do not steal. These are principles which every man of every faith can embrace." Christians and Jews follow these yes; and though they don't follow the Decalogue specifically, many other religions have similar codes of behavior because...well...trying to remind people not to lie, steal, kill, etc is kind of universal.

The idea that people - of any faith - can't/shouldn't display aspects of their religion "in PUBLIC" as you say, is a direct violation of the Free Exercise Clause.

This is funny. First off, you mistake the fact that 78% of Americans identify as "christian" with government favoritism. Secondly, though Christian imagery is seen more simply because it is the largest religion of this country, other religions are not absent from public view. Never mind the fact that Christian imagery is absolutely not safe from taken down, and is constantly being fought over. Just look here for some examples. And here. And here. And here. And here's one more (of many). These are just some examples of the Ten Commandments being taken down. Plenty more you can find of other Christian imagery being removed (ie: here and here).

Have you read the Constitution? If so, you wouldn't be calling it a "blatant" disregard. The "separation of church and state" is not the absence of religion in public or government, which you seem to think it is. A "blatant" disregard would be a person being arrested for being of a particular faith, or, the government saying "we are now officially THIS religion, so you can only practice THIS religion", or (something less subtle): the passing of laws that give larger tax breaks to one qualifying religion and not the other.

The Establishment Clause means the following: No state, nor the federal government can not establish a particular church/religion as the "state religion" (ie: North Korea, Pakistan, England, Finland ,etc. The government is also not allowed to pass laws that support/hinder any religion over any other.

The Free Exercise Clause means: The government can not force people to practice - or not practice - any religion; nor can it punish a person for their beliefs/nonbeliefs. It also cannot enact any laws that impede the ability to practice a specific religion.

If there are unconstitutional acts occurring, then YES, it needs to be addressed, but allowing the Ten Commandments, Menorah, Quran passages, etc in public is NOT establishing a religion, nor sponsoring one as the "official" religion. Religious imagery - of all types - has been an incredibly large and significant part of all of human culture and history. The majority of people in this country hold some type of religious view and to claim that the Constitution means that said religious heritage and imagery should be hidden away from public view is bogus and is itself unconstitutional - iconoclasm is NOT what the Constitution intends.

Well, considering 74% of Americans approve of non-christian religions being allowed to have imagery displayed, I think it's safe to assume that most Christians (making up 78% of the population) wouldn't complain.

Christians are against it because as you said, the statue is nothing but trolling and its from a "religion" whose beliefs mostly are the exact opposite of Christianity and most other religions. If you're going to purposefully name your religion after the ultimate evil entity of another religion you don't really have the right to complain or be surprised when that religion doesn't like you. That being said, most religious people (here anyway) are pretty accommodating to other religions in that regard. Sure, there's the vocal minority, but everyone wants to be allowed to practice and promote their faith and are aware that in order to do so, you have to allow others the same ability. But I find it amusing that you complain about christians, as if they are the major voice in religious censorship. Atheists have that title.

This is baffling. I hope you don't apply this type of logic your life - what a crummy way to live.

Why do we need the Ten Commandments on government property? Why not display the golden rule instead?

and you can have religious beliefs on billboards or church signs both in public view without much problem. If you want to endorse those beliefs on government property you are inter-mixing church and state just like prayer in public school.

Government shouldn't establish any one religion; putting the 10 commandments in government buildings does just that. At the very least its showing favouritism towards christianity.

The popularity of christianity is besides the point. The constitution protects the rights of the minority. If the majority of christians wanted a theocracy (sometimes I get the impression that the more hardline republicans would love nothing more), it wouldn't be allowed to happen. Aside from all that, there are many christians under the delusion that the US is a christian nation and government displays of the 10 commandments help them along in that delusion.

Along with not stealing, and not killing, there's the first 3 commandments -

Thou shalt have no other gods before me.
Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.
Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain; for the LORD will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain.

These beg the question of which god. The christian god?? The 10 commandments are there in government buildings to the EXCLUSION of other religions. There are many people that have no interest in these first 3 commandments yet these are promoted BY government. Of course its a violation of the separation of church and state.

Last edited:
In Canada we have three sections in our Charter of Rights and Freedoms that help protect the beliefs of Canadians.

Section 1 (aka within reason), Section 24 (aka remedies to violated rights) and Section 33 (aka Notwithstanding clause)

The nature of this statue would then be subject to interpretation by the courts (perhaps pushed up to the Supreme Court of Canada) and if it is found to be, primarily in offence and a violation of the practising rights of others, the statue could be turned down. Furthermore, if the court finds that the reason for the statue was simply to stir a commotion, they could be charged with contempt.

EDIT: In the same light, these same three points, in hand with Section 2 (freedom of speech/religion/etc) and Section 15 (equality), could be used to defend the position of the Statue.

Sections 1 and 33 are completely up to the courts' discretion though.

Wow, that was really long and convoluted. Your first statement is already wrong. The Ten Commandments DOES NOT mention rape at all. The list is as follows:

1. Thou shalt have no other gods before me.
  2. Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth. Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the Lord thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me; And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments.
  3. Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain; for the Lord will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain.
  4. Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work: But the seventh day is the sabbath of the Lord thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates: For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the Lord blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.
  5. Honour thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the Lord thy God giveth thee.
  6. Thou shalt not kill.
  7. Thou shalt not commit adultery.
  8. Thou shalt not steal.
  9. Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour.
  10. Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour’s house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbour’s wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor any thing that is thy neighbour’s.
The first 2 commandments are about god. Stealing and killing are the only 2 commandments that are more "universal" as you put it. There is nothing in there about rape, incest, molestation, etc etc. These are not universal rules, they're rules for 1 specific religion. The government is barred from favouring any religion above another and also for using public funds to display any religious symbol. As much as you like to split hairs, the Ten Commandments is a religious symbol and they are not rules that the rest of us need to live by (other than 2 of them, and we figured that one out a long time before Christianity ever came about).

But I find it amusing that you complain about christians, as if they are the major voice in religious censorship. Atheists have that title.

Give me a break. Atheists are just starting to fight back and now they're "censoring" religion. Ridiculous. You know what's really censorship? When people are killed for not holding specific beliefs. Or when atheists are barred from holding office because they are atheists (here is your proof: http://americanhumanist.org/HNN/details/2012-05-unelectable-atheists-us-states-that-prohibit-godless)

What you see as censorship, the rest of us see as fair game. Public schools can't display religious symbols because it would essentially be using taxpayers' funds to promote religion. Yes, people could put their own religious symbols up (if you can have one, you can have more), but given how atheists are bombarbed with death threats when they refuse to pray at football games, I can't see Christian students being very happy if a Muslim kid wanted a symbol of Islam put up in the school. It would invite bullying and probably violence.

It would be easier to remove the Christian symbols then it would be to let every religion put their symbols up because Christians aren't known for being too tolerant in that regard (can't have a mosque anywhere near the World Trade Centers).

I think you're wrong. What people say and what people do are totally different. This is what happened when atheists put up a monument in Florida:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/atheists-unveil-monument-nonbelief-god-article-1.1386919

Hmm, a toilet seat being thrown into a crowd? That's quite violent.

Or:

http://www.examiner.com/article/atheist-holiday-display-vandalized-los-angeles

It seems around Christmas, atheist holiday displays seem to get vandalized and stolen. What did you say again, about Christians not complaining about non-Christian imagery being displayed?

Last edited:
Jumping the gun again, man. I never said you were an atheist. I questioned what persecution of non-believers hundreds of years ago is relevant to the discussion. It doesn't matter whether you were atheist or not. What does it have to do with you, whether you are an atheist or not?

What country is this? I'm genuinely curious.
You may not have although your post was ambiguous, "what does that have to do with y'all," being the atheists presumably.

I was making the point that what happened and still happens is Christians are quick to demonize (at times, literally) anyone who dares defy or question their beliefs.

And what countries still that are Christian still kill people for not believing as they do? I'm not going to dig deep into that one since officially it doesn't happen anymore but that doesn't perclude individuals from killing those who don't. Mostly it happens in third world countries where the records are poor or nonexistent and I'm not going to play researcher to prove something that you'll dismiss anyways.

I'll give you this, in some Islamic countries it's still legal to execute atheists however.

The easier one is to point to this link where it's forbidden for atheists to even hold a public office in some states and that open discrimination against them is legal and unquestioned. But you're still the persecuted ones?

To Nick though, I can and do acknowledge you admitted you were wrong on your comments. Religious beliefs or those who lack them often are among the worst arguments on the internet. It's not easy for someone to admit they overstepped and you did which should be encouraged.

I'm not trying to shame anyone or say they aren't right to an opinion but opinions are not facts. An opinion is some Christians feel they are persecuted because their religious beliefs are questioned or given less prominence. A fact is many atheists are persecuted for being atheist. This is in the legal, definable and undeniable form of persecution. The denying of legal rights.

I acknowledge the fact that SOME Christians persecute other religions and openly bash their beliefs. Like any religion or belief their are extreme examples. I have really good friends who are Atheists. I don't try and convert them, and they don't try and convert me. We have mutual appreciation for one anothers beliefs.

Some people on here just want to argue and don't want to hear anyone else's side like CosmicPinchy. The moment I apologized they stopped posting, but as soon as someone else posted how they felt he/she immediately came back with their opinion, trying tirelessly to prove that they are right. It's people like this that I can't deal with.

Thanks for acknowledging my effort Teelie I appreciate it. The only point in which we can come to common ground is when we discuss in a calm and rational way.

I agree with that. I don't like extremists of most stripes, regardless of religion, politics, fandom (some fans who don't agree with other fans over something in a fictional universe can be the worst), etc. since they always distort the majority and reasonable group who are probably slapping their foreheads with their hands over the nuttery the extremists are spouting.

I acknowledge the fact that SOME Christians persecute other religions and openly bash their beliefs. Like any religion or belief their are extreme examples. I have really good friends who are Atheists. I don't try and convert them, and they don't try and convert me. We have mutual appreciation for one anothers beliefs.

Some people on here just want to argue and don't want to hear anyone else's side like CosmicPinchy. The moment I apologized they stopped posting, but as soon as someone else posted how they felt he/she immediately came back with their opinion, trying tirelessly to prove that they are right. It's people like this that I can't deal with.

Thanks for acknowledging my effort Teelie I appreciate it. The only point in which we can come to common ground is when we discuss in a calm and rational way.

I don't get you. If I don't post, you complain. If I do post, you complain.

Last edited:
I agree with that. I don't like extremists of most stripes, regardless of religion, politics, fandom (some fans who don't agree with other fans over something in a fictional universe can be the worst), etc. since they always distort the majority and reasonable group who are probably slapping their foreheads with their hands over the nuttery the extremists are spouting.

Funny thing is I saw an article of an Atheist militant who wound up beating a Pastor.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...Sunday-sermon-accused-abusing-girlfriend.html

There's crazy all over the place.

The worst part of humanity is our insatiable need to be tribal. We need to feel apart of something. The problem with this is there is not one universal tribe, there's soo many factions of ideas and beliefs. Imagine the peace in society if there was just one ideology.

The one reason I hate religion is one of the main reasons why I love it soo much. The main idea of any religion is to live harmoniously with your fellow man and woman. The persecution, death, and destruction has been over the technicality of each belief which is soo sad. It has turned from love everyone to love the ones who believe in the same thing as you. The irony of religion is one of humanities greatest downfalls. It could of been our saving grace but has turned us into monsters.

I think this is the first time you and I spoke in a civil manner Teelie.

This made me laugh. It's no wonder we can't get along on a world stage, we can't even agree on the smallest details in a make-believe universe.

Funny thing is I saw an article of an Atheist militant who wound up beating a Pastor.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...Sunday-sermon-accused-abusing-girlfriend.html

There's crazy all over the place.

The worst part of humanity is our insatiable need to be tribal. We need to feel apart of something. The problem with this is there is not one universal tribe, there's soo many factions of ideas and beliefs. Imagine the peace in society if there was just one ideology.

The one reason I hate religion is one of the main reasons why I love it soo much. The main idea of any religion is to live harmoniously with your fellow man and woman. The persecution, death, and destruction has been over the technicality of each belief which is soo sad. It has turned from love everyone to love the ones who believe in the same thing as you. The irony of religion is one of humanities greatest downfalls. It could of been our saving grace but has turned us into monsters.

I think this is the first time you and I spoke in a civil manner Teelie.

You mean like the Borg from Star Trek?

No but seriously, a single ideology for mankind is flat out terrifying whether I agree with that ideology or not.

What if the ideology was to just like harmoniously. That's literally it. You live to support the man next to you so everyone can live on the same level.

There's one really good point Joe Rogan's made on his podcast that I've been listening to. With all the money DARPA has put into trying to fix other countries, why not fix the one we live in first? Put the same money into fixing Detroit.

A country is as only strong as its weakest link.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"