Group Unveils Satan Statue Design for Oklahoma

Should I speak the name?

Affleck.

:exp:

And what countries still that are Christian still kill people for not believing as they do? I'm not going to dig deep into that one since officially it doesn't happen anymore but that doesn't perclude individuals from killing those who don't.

Then what point are you trying to make? You can say that about anything. The United States isn't officially an anti-Islamic country, but that doesn't preclude individuals from discriminating Muslims. See?

Mostly it happens in third world countries where the records are poor or nonexistent and I'm not going to play researcher to prove something that you'll dismiss anyways.

So you try to make a point, then say you're not going to list something because you assume I'm going to dismiss it? Nice one.

:up:

I'll give you this, in some Islamic countries it's still legal to execute atheists however.

The easier one is to point to this link where it's forbidden for atheists to even hold a public office in some states and that open discrimination against them is legal and unquestioned.

Yes sir, I understand. However, that discrimination and laws against openly expressing their view is against anyone who isn't Muslim. It's not solely against atheists.

But you're still the persecuted ones?

Am I persecuted?

I say let 'em build it.

Nick, I'm not saying I'm in the same boat as you, but I simply cannot comprehend the idea of someone not believing in God, or more specifically, believing in some kind of spiritual presence. And yeah, I've bashed atheists too, like you, which is wrong, and it's good to see when people like you (or us) own up to it :up:

Is the lack of evidence not grounds enough for comprehending where we come from?

Is the lack of evidence not grounds enough for comprehending where we come from?

jmc, I like you dude, so I'm just gonna say that there has to be something more. I've always believed that and will continue to believe that until the day I die (in which case one of us will turn out to be right :oldrazz:)

I can appreciate that, actually. I believe the human mind, with its tendency (and susceptibility) to seek agency, causes a lot of people to have difficulty with atheism.

The idea of there being no supernatural forces is a pretty damn advanced concept, considering just a thousand years ago, it was unthinkable.

Without devolving this topic into another theist/atheist debate (or debacle, whatever tickles your fancy :oldrazz:) I'll just say this, that if the human soul (or consciousness) is composed of energy, and energy can neither be created nor destroyed, merely transferred, then where does it go after death?

Without devolving this topic into another theist/atheist debate (or debacle, whatever tickles your fancy :oldrazz:) I'll just say this, that if the human soul (or consciousness) is composed of energy, and energy can neither be created nor destroyed, merely transferred, then where does it go after death?

Worm food

Anywhere it wants to go...just as we can in this life.

[YT]WxfZkMm3wcg[/YT]

Well, part of it becomes gas, the rest of it becomes worm food...

Decomposition is pretty gross.

Though the consciousness is just something your brain creates. It's constantly using energy.

Meh :o I'm fine believing in something greater than myself, thanks :woot:

Though you all have valid scientific points. But science, while in and of itself is good for exploring and trying to comprehend the physical universe, I however believe that it is simply not enough.

I guess that makes me a crazy person :awesome:

Well, there probably are aliens out there, far "greater", but there's nothing supernatural about them.

Just keep it out of the schools, and don't make me pay for it, and you can believe whatever you like.

That's all I ask.

I'll just say this, that if the human soul (or consciousness) is composed of energy, and energy can neither be created nor destroyed, merely transferred, then where does it go after death?
It doesn't come or go anywhere. It just stops being generated by the brain that once generated it.

jmc, I like you dude, so I'm just gonna say that there has to be something more. I've always believed that and will continue to believe that until the day I die (in which case one of us will turn out to be right :oldrazz:)

That's perfectly fine if it gives you comfort. You are right, there's more, the universe is so big and so vast we've barely even scratched the surface of what its secrets are, we may never know everything before it eventually rips itself a part (or contracts depending on the theory). But history has shown that there tends to be a logical solution to things that were once the place of gods. The thing is in the last 500 years science has eaten away at these characters and their place in the universe, slowly but surely they are being reduced to bit players because we are discovering the real meanings behind how things work. And as technology gets more and more advanced that's only ever going to continue. There is more, a lot more, but as history as shown we will actually work it out at some stage, and that to me is actually the greater achievement, that's when we truly reach our full potential. At the moment we are still at a stage in human development where the old myths are trying so desperately to hold on, even going so far as to create nonsense like intelligent design as a means of justifying their teachings. But at some point I'm quite confident we will rise above that, we will reach out full potential as a species and these religions of today will be looked back upon as being no different to ancient Green, Roman, Pagan, Mesopotamian, Egyptian or Norse ones. And that my friend is the one heaven Atheists do think is possible.

That's exactly why I can't get behind atheism. You're all so pessimistic :o
Yet I'm enjoying my consciousness. While accepting it wont go on after my brain stops generating it.
You're the one projecting your sad pessimism.

Mondragon, did you not see the ":oldrazz:"?

I'm goofing with ya, not criticizing ya. :yay:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"