"GRUNGE":The Short-Lived Movement.

im glad radiohead escaped the grundge image that the media tried to pin on them early in their career.

Oh yeah. I don't like grunge. I will give it credit for killing something that needed to die (80s rock) but it also ushered in a lot of bands that did not deserve to be famous. The indie music scene sort of became the new grunge..but with good bands.

Chris Cornell > indie

Basically, Chris Cornell = Grunge.

the grunge years, it was that time when I got out of high school and went to live in another city to study my philosophy degree

yup, had the dock martens, rocked the flannel and for some reason shaved the side and back of my head and let the rest of my hair grow

and that's when I started playing in crappy bands

Ah yes...I remember the "Grunge" days very well. I miss when rock wasn't targeted at 12 year olds. My screenname "Stikmann" is named after the Pearl Jam stick man logo I have tattooed on my arm. I'm glad PJ is still cranking out albums after all these years. That's one bad place of a band.

Ah yes...I remember the "Grunge" days very well. I miss when rock wasn't targeted at 12 year olds. My screenname "Stikmann" is named after the Pearl Jam stick man logo I have tattooed on my arm. I'm glad PJ is still cranking out albums after all these years. That's one bad place of a band.

And thus we have this week's "Moment in Unnecessary Information"

And thus we have this week's "Moment in Unnecessary Information"

Actually I like others was pointing out how the "grunge movement" effected some of us and meant something to us. Seems like your post is far more unnecessary to the topic.

While I appreciate grunge music for killing '80s fashion, I didn't like the music, was a much bigger fan of '80s hair metal. Like songs about sex, drugs and rock&roll, not the whiney b*tches of the grunge era. Also I don't think it would've ever caught on they way it did if Cobain didn't kill himself. After Cobain killed himself, everyone started listening, before that it wasn't nearly as well known.

Actually I like others was pointing out how the "grunge movement" effected some of us and meant something to us. Seems like your post is far more unnecessary to the topic.

You should take that "stik" out of your ash.

While I appreciate grunge music for killing '80s fashion, I didn't like the music, was a much bigger fan of '80s hair metal. Like songs about sex, drugs and rock&roll, not the whiney b*tches of the grunge era. Also I don't think it would've ever caught on they way it did if Cobain didn't kill himself. After Cobain killed himself, everyone started listening, before that it wasn't nearly as well known.

My memory might be off but didn't grunge take off in around 1991? Cobain killed himself in like 1994. That was about the time it started to fade out.

Outrageously erroneous opinion. :huh:

It was right when "Smells Like Teen Spirit" started playing every 10 minutes on Mtv that it started buzzing and then all anyone could talk about was OMG, there's this "Seattle Sound", LOOK! OMG! They wear clothes from a thrift store.
I still remember all the fluffy news stories.
I was there. It did not take off because of Kurt's death. :huh:
The fact that it was already huge is WHY anyone gave a s*** about his death. :huh: lol :huh:

I remember my girlfriend's sister and her boyfriend were all excited to see Nirvana at this huge stadium.
That was, uh, when Kurt was alive.
HUGE stadium show, completely removed from their bar band beginings, with the walls of lights and the giant In Utero statue, etc.

Also, Soundgarden sounded like Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin, and Alice In Chains was GINO. They were a total Hair Metal Band, but one of the better, more serious ones.
Nirvana was more punky, and Pearl Jam was just always amorphous s***.

Soundgarden has always been my favorite outta the Grunge movement. Its funny, I don't think Soundgarden has ever written a song that made coherent sense lyrically.:woot::woot:

That being said I have kinda grown to dislike Nirvana. Yet they are often worshipped as THE band of the early 90's. I always thought Ten and Badmotorfinger were better albums than nevermind. hat being said, I always hated when people say that it died when Kurt did. Albums like Superunknown were still clibing and alot of the bands were more popular than ever after his death.

Hahaha, I remember when it seemed like everyone had a stickman tattoo.

I FEEL SO ALIVEEE!!

anyone remembers any of these bands?

Gas Huffer
Dig
I Mother Earth
Gruntruck
Paw
Stompbox
Therapy?
Quicksand

and while none of these bands would ever feel comfortable naming their music "grunge", most of these bands had hits because of grunge

funny, right?

How about some Pearl Jam and Alice In Chains performances?

[YT]CoG897LvAAI[/YT]
Pearl Jam- Black(Live/Unplugged)

[YT]nrlPtNu5N0[/YT]
Pearl Jam- Jeremy(Live/Unplugged)

[YT]_8IwZUIoBFY[/YT]
Alice in Chains- Down In A Hole(Live/Unplugged)

[YT]01pUckeOYfk[/YT]
Alice in Chains- Heaven Beside You(Live/Unplugged)

The reason I like grunge is because it died out so quickly, it never had a chance to be commercialized. When you listen to grunge, your only options are classic '90's grunge bands. They are authentic, the real deal.

If you listen to many other genres (take rap, for instance) it has been so commercialized, and tailored to sell to middle class, suburban, white teenagers that it bears little to no resemblance to the soul of what rap represents.

That's why I like grunge even though I don't actually like grunge that much. :o

have you listened to Grunge?

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"