Guitar Hero III vs. Rock Band

Timstuff

Avenger
Reaction score
Alright, first of all, you'd have to be living under a rock for the last two years to not know that Guitar Hero is the biggest rhythm game since Dance Dance Revolution. But as most people are probably aware, this fall things are going to get considerably shaken up. Harmonix, the original developer of Guitar Hero, got purchased by MTV, and now they're making a new game, Rock Band, for EA while their former partner Red Octane teams with Activision and Neversoft to make Guitar Hero III. So now, fans of guitar-themed music games are in the rather awkward position of having to choose whether to follow Harmonix, or stay with Red Octane and the Guitar Hero name.

First, let's look at what the two games have in common. The Guitar playing is essentially the same in both games, where the player holds down "fret buttons" while strumming a paddle representing the guitar's strings. They both have wireless controllers, online co-op, and downloadable tracks.

However, Rock Band is a little more ambitious in scope because it also includes drums that involve using a controller with 4 drum pads and a base kick pedal, and vocals using a microphone (think "Karioke revolution, another Harmonix game). Players can also opt to form online "bands" (clans, essentially) with custom band logos and avatars.

Also, another difference is the controllers. Guitar Hero III offers a familiar looking guitar controller that fans will quickly recognize. Based on the Gibson Les Paul, the GH3 wireless controller offers a removable neck for easy storage, and has changeable face plates to give you whichever look you're after.

800px-Guitarhero3-lespaul.jpg

Rock Band on the other hand, has a wireless controller based on the Fender Stratocaster. It does not have a removeable faceplate or guitar neck, but it does have five additional fret buttons for solos (as if GH isn't hard enough already, lol). Harmonix is clearly going for more of the "replica" look on their controller, rather than an openly video game one.

Rockband-guitar.jpg

So, we have two fairly similar games coming out around the same time, with one offering more of the Guitar Hero action we know and love, and the other trying to more closely simulate actual instruments. While on paper Rock Band sounds like it should blow every other music game out of the water, two questions loom over the horizon: is it too ambitious for it's time; and will it be more expensive than it's worth? I mean, Rock Band will offer similar guitar thrills as the GH series, but when you get to having 10 fret buttons, you really have to wonder if it'd be almost as easy just to pick up a real guitar. The same question could be applied to the drums, or the vocals. And since the whole package will supposedly cost nearly $300 (2 guitars, drums, and a mic), it starts to come into question how much harder it'd be to start a real garage band.

Still though, Rock Band does sound exciting none-the-less. I personally am on the fence as to which title I will buy, so I'm going to wait and see what kind of reaction they get publicly before I throw my full support behind either. After all, what good is a robust online mode if you can't find anyone to play with, right? I still want to know if Guitar Hero is on it's way out and Rock Band will be the new king, or if GH will still reign supreme while RB fizzles into obscurity.

I think it's pretty silly to paint Rock Band's depth as a flaw in the "you might as well start a real band" style. I also think It's sily to paint a presumed price point as a flaw.

That said, GH has brand recognition on name alone, while Rock Band does not. In the video game world, that alone may put GH3 over the top, even though, by my guess, Rock Band will be a higher quality game. (Harmonix are the developers of Guitar Hero 1&2, Red Octane just publish).

Wow... That's a pretty evenly divided poll so far, I must say... :wow:

Rock band looks kinda gay.. I mean mostly guys play GH, and can you picture guys playing those dumb drums, let alone sing? I mean picture yourself with your friends... Are you really gonna look cool/do it? Sounds lame, but cool concept.

Rock band looks kinda gay.. I mean mostly guys play GH, and can you picture guys playing those dumb drums, let alone sing? I mean picture yourself with your friends... Are you really gonna look cool/do it? Sounds lame, but cool concept.

link? pictures?

i have a feeling that GH3 is going to be better because, Rock Band is going to cost way more than GH, but i have to agree Rock Band is a really nice concept, i guess we will have to wait until both games comes out to see whats better...

Is no one worried about Neversoft on GH3?

I am. They have used the same model of tony hawk for the longest time. After THPS 4, oh wait, we need cities in games. After THUG2 we need open world. Now what? Few innovative ideas since THPS started to be fair.

I tried Guitar Hero in a store.

I sucked at it and then bought a movie

I think as long as Rock Band still has that Guitar Hero feel to it as well as the new ideas, other than the price, it should be better. I think it all depends on the options and depth of online play for RB. If, say, you can just play guitar online while not having to have a whole band with vocals and drums, or maybe you just want to play drums, stuff like that. That would include in single player as well. If they can do that well, then it should be a lot better than Guitar Hero. For a lot of people it would just come down to price.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/801/801493p1.html

Hands on preview of Rock Band. It pretty much answered all my questions about it. Looks to pretty much be awesome, due to its depth and options over what instrument you want to play, it will be better than Guitar Hero 3. Even better is that you don't have to spend a whole lot of money for it, because if you don't want have the vocal mic, or the drum set, then you don't have to buy them. If you just want to use a guitar, it works with just a guitar. Sounds like they will be sold separately and probably all together in a bundle pack deal as well.

Rock Band looks a lot cooler, but I'm pissed off that they took my idea

^^yours and everyone elses who ever played guitar hero....lol

Damn... the song lists for both are getting impressive as hell... I will probably have to buy both.

Guitar Hero III:

* "3's and 7's" – Queens of the Stone Age
* "Barracuda" – Heart
* "Cherub Rock" – Smashing Pumpkins
* "Cities on Flame with Rock and Roll" – Blue Öyster Cult
* "Cult of Personality" – Living Colour
* "Even Flow" – Pearl Jam
* "Knights of Cydonia" – Muse

* "La Grange" – ZZ Top
* "Lay Down" – Priestess
* "The Metal" – Tenacious D

* "Miss Murder" – AFI
* "Mississippi Queen" – Mountain
* "My Name Is Jonas" – Weezer
* "The Number of the Beast" - Iron Maiden
* "One" – Metallica
* "Paint It, Black" – The Rolling Stones

* "Paranoid" – Black Sabbath
* "Raining Blood" – Slayer
* "Reptilia" – The Strokes

* "Rock and Roll All Nite" – Kiss
* "Rock You Like a Hurricane" – Scorpions
* "Sabotage" – Beastie Boys
* "School's Out" – Alice Cooper
* "She Builds Quick Machines" – Velvet Revolver
* "Slow Ride" – Foghat
* "Suck My Kiss" - Red Hot Chili Peppers
* "Through the Fire and Flames" - DragonForce
* "Welcome to the Jungle" – Guns N' Roses

Bold denotes Master Track, Italics the ones I'M excited about...

Rock Band:

• "(Don't Fear) The Reaper" – Blue Öyster Cult
  • "Enter Sandman" – Metallica
  • "Go with the Flow" – Queens of the Stone Age
  • "In Bloom" – Nirvana
  • "Learn To Fly" – Foo Fighters
  • "Main Offender" – The Hives
  • "Mississippi Queen" – Mountain
  • "Paranoid" – Black Sabbath
  • "Reptilia" – The Strokes
  • "Rockaway Beach" – The Ramones
  • "Say It Ain't So" – Weezer
  • "Suffragette City" – David Bowie
  • "Tom Sawyer" – Rush
  • "Vasoline" – Stone Temple Pilots
  • "Wanted Dead or Alive" – Bon Jovi
  • "Won't Get Fooled Again" – The Who
It will be interesting to see how they both do Paranoid and Mississippi Queen :o

As long as the guitars are compatable, I wouldn't be put off to buying both games at some point or another.

Anyone who plays either of these games doesn't have the right to call anyone else gay :dry:

if you spent as much time playing a real guitar as you no doubt spend playing this you'd be really good, but instead you'd rather play with a fisher price knock off :whatever:

Anyone who plays either of these games doesn't have the right to call anyone else gay :dry:

if you spent as much time playing a real guitar as you no doubt spend playing this you'd be really good, but instead you'd rather play with a fisher price knock off :whatever:
And those of us who play both and well? Ass. :whatever:

I know!
I played drums for freaking 11 years, and I'm really looking forward to buy the drum peripheral, it just looks like a lot of fun.

I really REALLY hate the "I play REAL guitar, so I can't be bothered to play guitar games....also, you're losers!!!!1" crowd :down :rolleyes:

They both have nice lineups...One is the only song that every got me teary eyed, especially the video that goes with it.

My older brother plays guitar for real (and he's good) and he loves Guitar Hero.

Revisiting the topic of which game costs more initially, I'm actually beginning to second-guess my initial assumption that Rock Band is more expensive. Guitar Hero 3 apparently will retail for $99 with one guitar, while Rock Band will retail for $199 in a bundle with a guitar, drums, and a mic. The guitars for both games will be in the $60-70 range, while the drums in RB will be $80, and the mic will be about $30. Economically, the two games end up costing you about the same if you are going for similar setups.

By the way, anyone wonder if they'd consider adding a synth / piano instrument to Rock Band? Sort of to Rock Band's drum peripheral what Keyboard Mania was to Drum Mania? Granted, keyboard mania is a completely ridiculous concept for a "game," but offering piano and synth arrangements in Rock Band would certainly make it a more comprehensive experience.

1058119215ju8.jpg

My younger brother is a very skilled pianist, so I'm not sure if he would just laugh off the prospect of "playing piano" through Rock Band, or if it would genuinely interest him. Maybe for Rock Band 2, perhaps?

My older brother plays guitar for real (and he's good) and he loves Guitar Hero.
I know, I've been compared favorably to an early Joe Perry. I can play just about every song on GH and GH II (the ones I can't are the songs i have no interest in :o) and very well. Freebird is the song that got me into my last band. (seems weird saying it in the past tense. We just broke up this year.. :csad:.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Otewe2001
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"