Hamilton

Jefferson making it rain the reynolds pamphlets was hilarious
fb4772d5447ba41c399ec4360dbd5b43e7125855.gifv

15c152780755dc0456438604a7c731ba1b166a88.gifv

Last edited:
I'm also really glad that I avoided listening to the soundtrack for the last five years (other than "My Shot"). Since I live in New York, I had been planning on seeing the show eventually but hearing the songs and seeing them performed by the original cast like this just added so much to the experience. The next best thing would have obviously been seeing this performance live.

I thought this was maybe a half hour too long. The writing, music, and lyrics, are truly impressive. But I think the story just didn’t merit such a long runtime.

But while watching it, it reminded me of Rent, which I was fortunate to see live with the original cast. It was so different from your typical Broadway show and really brought it to a new modern era. I can see how Hamilton has done that as well.

I was honestly bored watching this and dont get the hype. I was expecting to be blown away and wasn't. I can only recall one song and while the rap lyric flows were pretty good it wasnt enough to keep me interested.

Then again I'm not a fan of musicals really so I definitely think I'm biased.

I wonder if they'll put out a Hamilton DVD or Blu-Ray?

This is fantastic and I wish I was able to see it in person when the OG cast were doing it.

I still think they are planning to release this in theaters. I wouldn't be surprised if it's in Imax for a Holiday season coming up. I'll still go.

I wonder if they'll put out a Hamilton DVD or Blu-Ray?

So far they haven’t put out any of their Disney+ content. I’m still waiting for The Mandalorian as well.
Somehow I can't see them releasing Hamilton on disc as long as it's still on Disney+. I'm sure it'll happen eventually since this was originally intended to be a theatrical release anyway but since this is the only way to watch this right now and Disney+ got rid of the free month trial, I don't think we'll see Hamilton released on disc for another year at least.

The Mandalorian's first season could be released on disc before the season two premiere this fall if they follow Netflix's marketing approach for shows like Stranger Things but it's not a guarantee.

I figure it will eventually be released on Blu-Ray/DVD, as it's just another way to squeeze money out of this deal. And yes, I will 100% be one of the naive pigeons who pre-orders this knowing full well that 1 month after its release the price goes down by at least 30%.

Last edited:
I was honestly bored watching this and dont get the hype. I was expecting to be blown away and wasn't. I can only recall one song and while the rap lyric flows were pretty good it wasnt enough to keep me interested.

Then again I'm not a fan of musicals really so I definitely think I'm biased.
This is very much a musical-musical - it’s a theater experience first and foremost. This is in no way something that is set-up for an “adaptation” treatment, the way 1776 was, or the way Wicked is. You buy a ticket to this. You are paying for the very theater-specific type of tropes and performances.

King George’s songs were the most consistent part for me, and Jefferson’s “What did I miss?” and Burr’s “Room where it happens” we’re my favorite songs.

I enjoyed it a lot... but I am very much still a 1776 guy.

This is very much a musical-musical - it’s a theater experience first and foremost. This is in no way something that is set-up for an “adaptation” treatment, the way 1776 was, or the way Wicked is. You buy a ticket to this. You are paying for the very theater-specific type of tropes and performances.
This. I really can't see this being adapted into a film, at least not successfully.

This. I really can't see this being adapted into a film, at least not successfully.
You’d modify it heavily if you did... and that’s a rare recipe for success.

Something like Wicked is basically ready made for a cinema take, in comparison.

Doubled-up casting, exclusively rapping and singing for dialogue, tricks like the “rewind” scene, etc., make it more like a live music video drama, greater interactivity with the audience, and thus more of an experience than adaptable material.

Not that I would put money against it. Stranger things have happened.

Maybe critically. But it would make serious bank, which is all a studio needs. I think they'll see how In the Heights does next summer, and this will for sure follow.

Maybe critically. But it would make serious bank, which is all a studio needs. I think they'll see how In the Heights does next summer, and this will for sure follow.
Ah yes, I meant critically. A Hamilton movie would still do great at the box office. If they were to strike while the iron is still hot and got the original cast to play the roles, it would have a better chance at being a worthy adaptation critically.

The show will open in our country next year - I don‘t see it being sucessful.
No one really cares for the history of the declaration of independence here (maybe a few interested in history generally). The majority of the audience will see it as big patriotic propaganda. And if Trump wins the election again, the disgust against everything american will increase.
Though the music was really good, the story was very political and historic driven and never got me like in Les Miserables. If the lyrics were translated into oug language, I doubt it will sound fluent.
Americans love their history - but other countries really don‘t care much for it. Maybe UK

My prediction: it won‘t work in Germany (and maybe other countries as well). Like our most successful show never worked in America, The fearless vampire killers or how it’s called here Dance of Vampires

Last edited:
I loved this, and I'm also glad I held off on listening to the entire soundtrack until I could see it for myself.

The show will open in our country next year - I don‘t see it being sucessful.
No one really cares for the history of the declaration of independence here (maybe a few interested in history generally). The majority of the audience will see it as big patriotic propaganda. And if Trump wins the election again, the disgust against everything american will increase.
Though the music was really good, the story was very political and historic driven and never got me like in Les Miserables. If the lyrics were translated into oug language, I doubt it will sound fluent.
Americans love their history - but other countries really don‘t care much for it. Maybe UK

My prediction: it won‘t work in Germany (and maybe other countries as well). Like our most successful show never worked in America, The fearless vampire killers or how it’s called here Dance of Vampires

You'd be surprised. Hamilton's been successful in the UK (the "bad guys" of the show) and in Canada, the ticket sales were off the chart until the pandemic hit. This is not a right-wing patriotic show by any means; the show itself is really about drawing an analogy between the anger of young men of color in today's society and the revolutionary founders of the USA.

I was really impressed with the choreography of the “rewind” scene.

I have to say, I found Odom as Burr and Jackson as Washington more compelling presences than Miranda himself.

Diggs as Jefferson and Groff as King George were hilarious.

Loved the Cabinet meeting rap battle.

Washington’s retirement, Eliza’s “Burn”, and her again in the end.....feels were felt in the feeler.

So, I've been aware of Hamilton since it came out, was kind of interested by the content hype, and people saying, it's as good as the hype says...
So heard songs out of context and all over the years, never even seeked out bootlegs. Growing up outside NYC, all the historical references surrounded me growing up. The Burr/ Hamilton duel is like Kong falling off the Empire State Building. Knew he was Washington's staff in War and as President. So walking into this being that familiar, I was expecting something pleasing, at least...

But WOW this really got hooks into me! I 1,000,000% get why this was a seismic event, and people gloat about the stars. I'm not normally into musicals at all, but this really is something special. Not expecting it to be everyone's thing, but if you want to be entertained about American History with some semi-modern flash and fun character stuff, here you go!

It made me feel bad for Aaron Burr, FCOL..

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"