Harvey Pekar

yenaled

3X2(9YZ)4A
Reaction score
I'm looking to get into some Harvey Pekar comics but not certain where to start.

Mainly there are so many American Splendor collections, best of's, anthologies, trades, around just want to know which ones are reconmended to get a good amount of comics and the best ones for the best price.

I've also ordered The Quitter as I've heard it is good and is Our Cancer Year reconmended too? I know it has won awards but I've heard it might not be the best place to start.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Quitter is a good places to start, since it stands by itself aside from American Splendor. Splendor is more about the day-to-day occurances of his life, his thoughts and feelings, Quitter is more a straight autobiography of his early life. If you enjoy that, your next stop should be American Splendor vol 1, they released a new printing when the movie came out with Paul Giamatti on the cover.

I take it you've seen the movie?

Yeah I have recently bought it on DVD. I think like a lot of people it is what has introduced me to him, fantastic movie though so have to check the comics.

I take it the reprint is;

1840237872.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

I was just wary of it being a movie tie/cash-in... sometimes those don't represent the best work.

Just rewatch the film and then pretend you read the comics. That's what the rest of us do.

yenaled said:
Yeah I have recently bought it on DVD. I think like a lot of people it is what has introduced me to him, fantastic movie though so have to check the comics.

I take it the reprint is;

1840237872.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

I was just wary of it being a movie tie/cash-in... sometimes those don't represent the best work.
correct, this is the original book, reprinted with the new cover, alot of stuff was taken from here for the movie

Excellent I'll start with that then, cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunStorm333
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"