Has anyone here read the No Man's Land novel?

Brain Damage

Everything Under the Sun
Reaction score
I remember picking it up like five years ago and falling in love with it.
I seem to have lost my copy however, so I can't reread it t make sure if my opinion remains the same.

But having never read the comic No Man's Land, how does it compare, for those of you who've read both?

I've read it once before about a year ago, and believe it or not I am actually re-reading it again now. I'm just over half way through it and am loving it all over again. It's exceptionally well written by Rucka. He really gets inside all of the character's heads. Batman, Gordon, Oracle, Joker, Two Face, Penguin, Huntress....all perfectly written.

In comparison to the comics, you're not missing anything because you've got everything you need in the novel. There's some stories in the comics that are not covered in detail in the novel, but are mentioned. So you're really not missing anything. All the major stuff is in there.

I can't urge you enough to pick up this novel again. It is a brilliant read.

Well, I'm glad that I wasn't just nostalging out of my rear end. I'll definitely pick this one up again, and considering how dirt cheap it is used, I have no excuse.

I was also thinking of picking up the new volume one of the comic, since it seems like a better idea to get that and the subsequent releases, rather than five separate goddamn paperbacks.

Good idea?

No Mans Land is awesome. One of my favourite Batman stories and comic book cross over "events" in general.

Need to read it still; I know it's LONG. If I were to read Volumes 1-5 would I have it all covered or is there more to it with cross overs and such?

I've been meaning to get a copy of the novel. I just finishes up another reading of Denny O'Neill's Knightfall novel, i love the uncertainty from Bruce on Batman's existence at the end. I'm probably going to spring for a brand new copy of NML instead of a used one.

Funny, I was just thinking about borrowing the novel from the library to re-read it a few days ago. I read it while on vacation in Cancun in 2007 and couldn't put it down. I thought it was one of most well-written Batman stories. I love the whole No Man's Land storyline and how desolate Gotham is.

I really enjoyed this novel. I enjoyed the depth of the storytelling & characterizations.

I read the novel a few weeks ago. Really didn't like it, to be honest. I am an avid book reader and Batman comic fan but this showed me that those two worlds don't mix that well. I cannot point my finger on it, but something did rub me the wrong way.
I think you cannot really describe the way batman looks or moves in a cool way without having the visual. I know, in books you have to use your own imagination, but I found the book still lacking in that respect. The action pieces just didn't felt right in the way they were written, I think.
I liked the Gordon and Two Face parts but everytime Batman appeared it somehow felt wrong. I dunno, maybe its just me.
Couldn't even finish it and thats coming from a guy who completely read "under the dome" by King in just three days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"