Has DC changed for the better since NEW52?

Comics N' Toons

Viva La Revolucion!
Reaction score
Let me preface this by saying I started collecting in 2006 at 22 years old, grew up with Batman so I started with him, moved to Superman then to Marvel and then filled out my DC collection. Joined these forums 2007 and I would estimate that 90% of my collection I owe to die-hard fans HERE who told me, "BUY THIS... DON'T BUY THIS... THIS IS A MUST... IGNORE THIS" etc. So... for those who helped with recommendations, THANK YOU, guys.

I feel like since the 2011 reboot, recommendations havent been as frequent. Granted, I have NOT been here regularly in a few years... BUT, how has DC/Batman/etc. changed since 2011 and has it been for the better when compared to his evolution from 1960's to the 2000's?

Are his post 2011 stories as iconic as the biggies pre-New52?

It has not changed for the better but its changed for the better since New52/Didio left and they are finally starting to rebuild themselves.

But DC needs to stop being lazy and this whole "everything is in continuity!" thing just gotta end.

I think that it depends on the titles and the runs. Like everything, there have been ups and downs. Post New 52, there have been some incredible gems, such as Lobdell’s Red Hood and the Outlaws run in Rebirth, the Green Arrow Rebirth run, Tomasi’s Superman, Tom King’s various limited series, like Mr. Miracle, Up in the Sky, Supergirl: Woman of Tomorrow, and Human Target. Also Tom Taylor’s Nightwing run in Infinite Forntier has been fire, and Rucka did wonders in Rebirth with Wonder Woman.
But then there have also been the low points, with Bendis’ Superman being the top of that list. But also Doomsday Clock would also be included there.
In all, though, I think it has been an improvement.

Hm, i dont know...i enjoyed new 52 quite well and everything that came after for the most part.
To me its less about the timeline and more the individual runs.

Like im not a fan of the Rebirth Batman Run, but of the new 52, i liked the rebirth Superman run but not the new 52...and certainly not bendis run.

I do think that my consume of comics has been greatly multiplied since new 52 and i feel like i enjoy DC comics very much at the moment with a wide variety of Series i subscribed to.
So i guess i would say that things have become better in my opinion.

Let me preface this by saying I started collecting in 2006 at 22 years old, grew up with Batman so I started with him, moved to Superman then to Marvel and then filled out my DC collection. Joined these forums 2007 and I would estimate that 90% of my collection I owe to die-hard fans HERE who told me, "BUY THIS... DON'T BUY THIS... THIS IS A MUST... IGNORE THIS" etc. So... for those who helped with recommendations, THANK YOU, guys.

I feel like since the 2011 reboot, recommendations havent been as frequent. Granted, I have NOT been here regularly in a few years... BUT, how has DC/Batman/etc. changed since 2011 and has it been for the better when compared to his evolution from 1960's to the 2000's?

Are his post 2011 stories as iconic as the biggies pre-New52?

Naturally, it depends on who you talk to, but...

There was a point in the New 52, around the DCYOU phase of it, where I was not reading any DC at all. Any book that started strong very quickly devolved into one big homogenous mess that left me turned off. I think Swamp Thing was the only book I was reading at a certain point and even then, I wasn't enjoying it.

Rebirth brought me back. Tom King's Batman was the first time in a long time that I had been truly excited by a Batman title. Even then, it still took him one arc to do that. I was on the fence until his "I Am Suicide" run won me over. Despite other opinions shared here, I love King's Batman and I go back to it with some frequency. Superman was in solid hands. Wonder Woman was as well, with Greg Rucka returning to the character. The Sandman Universe books were excellent, especially Lucifer and Hellblazer(the latter being one of the BEST DC books in a very long time). Tom King unleashed Mister Miracle on us all.

And despite what Bendis did with Superman a few years into Rebirth, he managed to bring some very high ranking talent into DC. Kelly Sue DeConnick did a solid run on Aquaman. Matt Fraction and Steve Leiber did the excellent "Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen" book. Greg Rucka came back and did a great Lois Lane series. Ivan Reis and Steve Epting drew Superman and Action Comics. David Marquez is working for DC now.

And now that Didio's gone, and Marie Javins(who is apparently one of the most-liked people in comics) is in charge, we're seeing a lot more stability on books, and the better treatment of, and focus on, well loved characters. Wonder Woman has a stable creative team, the first since Rucka left. Nightwing is GREAT. The Flash, as Wally West, is GREAT. John Stewart has the lead in the Green Lantern book and Geoffrey Thorne has been doing a fun job with Jo Mullen (from GL: Far Sector) and Teen Lantern (a Bendis creation). There's a lot of diversity among the creative teams on these books and in the characters in the books. We're getting a GREAT Supergirl book from Tom King, and Greg Smallwood is doing the art on Human Target. And Garth Ennis is always popping by to do some fun stuff. Joshua Williamson seems to be the new head architect and despite a weak, and over-long run on the Rebirth Flash book, seems to be having a blast on Batman, Robin, Justice League Incarnate, et al. Perhaps most importantly, Mark Waid is back at DC and is not only writing World's Finest, but is also writing another Superman series to be drawn by Bryan Hitch that is said to be a sequel to Birthright.

The overall sense I get from DC right now is that everyone's having fun. And it seems very genuine, and not part of some publishing initiative. The reigns of so many books are in the hands of newer, fresh writers that seem to be operating on the idea that superhero comics should be fun. And it shows.

Last edited:
The overall sense I get from DC right now is that everyone's having fun. And it seems very genuine, and not part of some publishing initiative. The reigns of so many books are in the hands of newer, fresh writers that seem to be operating on the idea that superhero comics should be fun. And it shows.

Definitely agree with this statement. I follow more of the limited series than ongoing stuff, but stuff like DC vs Vampires is just a fun story that isn't strictly following DC lore (which is annoying some fans). Tom Taylor's new series Dark Knights of Steel is clearly from the mind of a comic nerd having fun writing.

Limited series I follow are Superman 78 and Batman 89.

I think the general state of the company is worse now than what it was back then. Problem with new 52 was Didios obsession with 52 titles. It should be Called like New 20 or something.

I think the majority of DCs current product is pretty bad, and I only Read s few miniseries etc. I dislike the "talent" and THE continuity is a joke.

Last edited:
I didn't care much for the future state stuff.

Nightwing is good. Great artwork and some entertaining street level superhero stories

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but I truly don’t understand how today’s crop of writers could be bashed in terms of talent.

Tomasi, Taylor, Williamson, King, Rucka, and Gene Luen Yang are all supremely talented and churn out some high quality work.

Currently, Williamson is off to a great start with Batman. I’m loving his characterizations and the cinematic feel he brings to the book. Only two issues in and I’m hooked. His Robin book has been a gem. And Taylor is on fire with Nightwing. Add in the reinvigoration of The Flash with Jeremy Adams’ reintroduction of Wally in the role, and DC has not been this consistently fun since the Bronze Age.

Now if only we could get Superman up to where he was before Bendis jettisoned all of Tomasi’s brilliant foundation that he laid…

I could go for that Tomasi is a good writer, and to some extent Williamson, even if I wont touch anything he will do with that upcoming "Death of The Justice League" stunt. Rest of that list I generally always skip. I find most of their stuff unreadable. I am sure that I could enjoy some of those other writers too, if editors actually did anything ,but these days they seem not to even be awake.

I generally mainly read Superman and Batman stories of the 90s currently. Have been getting a fair bit of trade-paperbacks etc.

Of current in continuity books, the only thing I currently read is the Dan Jurgens Booster Gold/Blue Beetle mini.

Geoff Johns is extremely hit and miss I think, going from really good, to dowrnight stupid. I still am curious about his upcoming return to the "Flashpoint" stuff, and will most likely at least read #1 to see if it is worth readingn.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"