HBO's The Pacific

SolidSnakeMGS

Superhero
Reaction score
From Variety:

"HBO Films has greenlit "The Pacific," a WWII miniseries from "Band of Brothers" exec producers Steven Spielberg, Tom Hanks and Gary Goetzman that will serve as a kind of companion piece to that earlier project.Production will begin in Australia this summer, with the mini to run on the net possibly in 2009.

Spielberg, Hanks and Goetzman will serve as exec producers. HBO Films will produce in association with Playtone and DreamWorks Television.
Tony To and Graham Yost are co-exec producers. Bruce McKenna is supervising producer, and Robert Schenkkan, George P. Pelecanos and Michelle Ashford are co-producers.

Project, an Asian-theater take on WWII whose title had also surfaced at one time as "The Pacific War," had been in development at the pay net.
Cast members and a director have yet to be attached.
"The Pacific" will draw on several sources of material, including Eugene Sledge's tome "With the Old Breed" and Robert Leckie's "Helmet for My Pillow."

Hugh Ambrose, son of the late historian Stephen Ambrose, will serve as a consultant on the project; Stephen Ambrose's book of the same name was the source material for "Band of Brothers."
"The Pacific" follows the stories of the two authors, as well as that of fellow Marine John Basilone, as they the fight against Japan across the entire Asian theater.

Much of the mini will be shot in Melbourne, where U.S. troops were stationed during the war.

"Band of Brothers" was a huge hit for HBO in 2001 and won six Emmys and a Golden Globe.

But despite the similarities between "The Pacific" and "Brothers," HBO Films topper Colin Callender noted that the new project will dramatize how the Asian war "profoundly differed from the European front. This was a different sort of war fighting a different sort of enemy."

After years of movies set in Europe, Hollywood has directed its WWII efforts toward Asia, as with Clint Eastwood's "Letter From Iwo Jima" last year."

Great news! I've been waiting to hear about this project being announced for years. Band of Brothers is one of the best things to ever hit TV, and if we get half the quality of that in this new series, we'll be set!

Cannot wait!

Yes!! :word:

I love to see some of the actors from BoB in it.

Hopefully there will be plenty of characters like in BoB, despite the blurb saying it follows two Marines. Wonder which battles we'll see. I'd like to see:

Battle of Tarawa
Battle of Guadalcanal
Battle of Okinawa

Even though Iwo Jima was pivotal, I don't know if we'd see it since we already saw it in a previous Spielberg produced movie, unless of course we see an angle we haven't seen before.

It looks incredible, the production values are outstanding.

Looks fantastic, too bad we are still a year away from its release.

I love that we're getting more stuff like this. Most of these guys who fought in WWII are gone now so you'll start to hear less and less about it until eventually in the next decade or so there wont be one living person who saw combat in either theater. That was an amazing generation of people with some really amazing stories.

The trailer for this looks great. Can't wait to check it out.

I loved Band of Brothers btw, any show that authentically shows what it was like during the show time period captures my attention. I wasn't, however, to fond of that Iraq War series that ended a few months ago (can't think of it's name right now)....

Me like a lot. :wow::heart: I've been waiting to see something from it since ...... well since 04-25-2007 09:48 PM. :hehe:

The trailer for this looks great. Can't wait to check it out.

I loved Band of Brothers btw, any show that authentically shows what it was like during the show time period captures my attention. I wasn't, however, to fond of that Iraq War series that ended a few months ago (can't think of it's name right now)....

Generation Kill. God I hated Trompley.

So...Besides Generation Kill,has there been a mini-series done about any other war BESIDES WWII. Don't get me wrong, that is an important moment in history that should never be forgotten but it get's tiring to see every drama about war center around WW2 nowadays.

Wow, I got chills. I've been waiting for this ever since Band of Brothers ended.

So...Besides Generation Kill,has there been a mini-series done about any other war BESIDES WWII. Don't get me wrong, that is an important moment in history that should never be forgotten but it get's tiring to see every drama about war center around WW2 nowadays.

The BBC just aired a mini-series called occupation which will probabley air on BBc America or PBS or something in the states.

Occupation is inspired by factual research, and reveals how the lives of three British men are shaped and transformed by their experiences in Iraq.

The drama is set in Basra and explores the personal journeys of three friends from the same regiment, and how they are inspired to return to Basra for different reasons – one for financial gain, one for love, and the third because of his belief in the mission to rebuild the country.

Bowker's drama explores how their different dreams come to define not just their lives but the war and the occupation itself.

The drama is set against the backdrop of growing sectarian conflict in Iraq, awash with billions of dollars from the US, creating a boom time for private military companies.

There's two reasons you see mostly WWII stuff. The first being that we were clearly on the side of "good" and emerged with a clear victory so it makes for good movies, TV, etc. You can't really say that about Korea, Vietnam, Iraq, etc.

The second reason was that it was a multi-front war fought on all ends of the Earth, so you have almost endless battle situations in Europe, Africa, the Middle East, the Pacific, etc. that lead to numerous types of story-telling. Not to mention for decades, a lot of the stuff these guys did was ignored by Hollywood who wanted to put out War fiction with the likes John Wayne, etc. doing ridiculous things.

those trailers look amazing. can't wait.

I just hope it's as emotional and compelling as Band of Brothers was.

Awesome. Learned alot about WW2 from my history class last year, so should be fun to watch on TV.

Why isn't it time for this to be on television yet?!!?!? I hate the waiting. :cmad:

So I guess the battles shown during this will be Guadalcanal, Cape Gloucester, Peleliu, some of Iwo Jima, and Okinawa. Kinda disappointed they didn't do Tarawa. Oh well.

Band of Brothers was tv at its best.

I'm a little skeptical of the new environment but it should still have great storytelling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"