HBO's The Pacific

I'm excited. Mostly to get a 'well' told story about the Pacific theatre. LFIJ and FOOF were pretty meh as far as movies go. So was TTRL. So I hope that this show about the Pacific war is actually good.

Tonight's the night!

Hopefully my Directv signal actually works by tonight.

FFFUUUUUUUUU

As much as I loved Band of Brothers, you can tell this series might be darker and a little deeper theme-wise. Great premiere.

it was ok... it lacked something that draws it all together... this one felt a little pieced together

i have a feeling this will be much more popular among americans than the rest of the world. to the rest of us the pacific side of things is almost like a footnote at the end of the war whereas its a big deal in the states. i have a feeling that unless they do something really amazing Band of Brothers will be more liked universally

i have a feeling this will be much more popular among americans than the rest of the world. to the rest of us the pacific side of things is almost like a footnote at the end of the war whereas its a big deal in the states.

Yeah, I know how China, Japan, and Southeast Asia usually gloss over that part of history.:down

1st episode was a letdown for me.

I rewatched this morning... agreed, BIG Letdown. Everything about the episode was great: except it's lack of clarity. Maybe that was the idea... but this seemed like it was put together without any effort in trying to explain what was happening on screen. Things like, how long were they on the island (I know how long, but honestly, it felt like they were there for a couple of hours... then suddenly, they were all dirty) Not only that, but the epi was very very very short. If this is a trend, I'm pretty sure I'm not going to be happy.

The direction and editing from that first episode was surprisingly horrid. Definitely not in the same league as Band of Brothers.

I didn't think they introduced the characters very well either. I think I heard one guy's named mention and that was Juergens. I couldn't tell you one other characters name.

I didn't think they introduced the characters very well either. I think I heard one guy's named mention and that was Juergens. I couldn't tell you one other characters name.

yeah, I know, didn't pick up one characters name. It was like the episode was a bunch of really good scenes, but glued and taped together with no attempt at making it fit together to tell a story. They basically just wasted 10% of the mini series in one shot.

It wasn't great but you can tell this series is headed into the right direction. That battle at night was beautifully shot and was amazingly epic.

I will admit that perhaps that was the conceptual intention of the episode, to make the audience feel as confused and non-informed as the soldiers they are watching. Not a good episode to open with. But good none the less

I will admit that perhaps that was the conceptual intention of the episode, to make the audience feel as confused and non-informed as the soldiers they are watching. Not a good episode to open with. But good none the less

If you look around online you'll learn that the producers reworked the first two episodes after early critic feedback. This could explain why there seems to be a randomness linking some of the scenes together. I guess the original cut went to the other extreme and had too much exposition which was deleted from the version aired on HBO.

After the first two episodes, the series is supposed to have a vast improvement.

i have a feeling this will be much more popular among americans than the rest of the world. to the rest of us the pacific side of things is almost like a footnote at the end of the war whereas its a big deal in the states. i have a feeling that unless they do something really amazing Band of Brothers will be more liked universally

wasn't Band of Brothers very well received internationally?

That's what he was saying, while simultaneously suggesting that the Pacific theater was not important to anyone, including those involved.

That's what he was saying, while simultaneously suggesting that the Pacific theater was not important to anyone, including those involved.

that's kind of like saying that the Russian's weren't the ones who really won WWII in europe

If you look around online you'll learn that the producers reworked the first two episodes after early critic feedback. This could explain why there seems to be a randomness linking some of the scenes together. I guess the original cut went to the other extreme and had too much exposition which was deleted from the version aired on HBO.

After the first two episodes, the series is supposed to have a vast improvement.

yeah, I'm of the opinion, that what ever they output, it should be good. If they had production issues, they should have delayed until they got the product finished properly. This is what happens when there is lack of available competition

yeah, I'm of the opinion, that what ever they output, it should be good. If they had production issues, they should have delayed until they got the product finished properly. This is what happens when there is lack of available competition

??? is there some other WW2 miniseries out there I don't know about

I'm interested in watching this since the Pacific front is very often overlooked. However, I'm going to hold off on watching it. I don't get HBO at school and I don't feel like waiting 2-3 weeks between episodes.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"