HBO's The Pacific

I'm watching the second episode right now. The army just showed up. Supplies!!

I think I've accepted the fact this won't be half of what Band of Brothers was. I just don't like any of the main characters. The acting and dialogue are too bland to make me care about any of the main characters.

I really like "what's his face". the guy from the first episode that put the Japanese Solider out of his misery in the river.

I think I've accepted the fact this won't be half of what Band of Brothers was. I just don't like any of the main characters. The acting and dialogue are too bland to make me care about any of the main characters.

diddo... I expect more from the Spielberg/Hanks duo

I think they needed a few more recognisable faces in the cast like the original series (which IMO was absolutely perfect casting. ever).

I was pretty much raised on Band of Brothers and this show, from what I've seen of it, doesn't look a fraction as good. Judging from the trailers and promos, the dialogue is beyond cliched and the cinematograpy ain't too impressive either. I'll still check the show out once it's released on dvd, but until then, I am disappoint.

The cinematography is fine, it's more how they quickly rushed into an important battle with little to no character develoment.

Infact they only just started fleshing out the characters in episdoe 3.

And there is one guy that is on the show that always makes me think he looks like he should belong in an American Pie movie playing Stifflers cousin or something. Very off putting lol.

You know, that guy was in Eurotrip. So that is hilarious that you say American Pie movie.

He was? haha, I actually didn't know that!

Yeah. The guy that wore the blanket into the stadium and didn't go out to party, was in Eurotrip.

Can someone pm a link to the 3rd episode?

4th epi was better than the 3rd, but not by much. Half the episode spent in a mental ward where Lecki was trying to get over his bed wetting problem.

what the hell is wrong with this show? Everything I watch in it is good, but as a whole, it's a pathetic excuse for a television mini series.

It just doesn't stand up to all the awesome content that the first series had.

The characterisations were just spot on in series one, where each episode would mostly centre on a different character.

They don't seem to have as much options with this one.

I actually really liked tonight's episode. Maybe it's because Eugene is actually a likable character whereas Leckie is just boring as ****. The battle scenes were also pretty fantastic. All I can say is FINALLY. This is the series I was waiting for. Can't wait for next week.

Now I just wish the episodes were more than 40 minutes or so long.

I actually really liked tonight's episode. Maybe it's because Eugene is actually a likable character whereas Leckie is just boring as ****. The battle scenes were also pretty fantastic. All I can say is FINALLY. This is the series I was waiting for. Can't wait for next week.

Now I just wish the episodes were more than 40 minutes or so long.

agreed, last night was a vast improvement over the previous episodes... mostly because they now have a 'developed' character that the narrative can follow.

I also agree about the episode length... they barely break 40 minutes if that... and that includes the eternity of f'n drawing at the begining of each episode.

Anna Torv's sex scene was pretty hot. No wonder her and Mark Valley split. lol

First each episode is about 50 minutes long.

I have enjoyed this so far. I think too many around here are holding it up hoping it will be a copy of Band of Brothers "In the Pacific". I like how they are not showing nothing but the "heroic" side of war. They are showing that many of our own soldiers had many horrible psychological things happen and at the same time it shows the insanity that can follow.

Band did some of this but not to the extent that The Pacific did. I agree though that it has not been as strong as Band, but that is no means bad. I remember people complained about not knowing many of the characters when Band of Brothers first aired in 2001. But hopefully The Pacific as a whole makes sense.

But I will say its a good show, I won't deny its not as good as Band but I like how they are showing different aspects of the war, and not just another theater.

yeah, but you forget that the episode proper, doesn't actually start until about 10 minutes past the hour.

I understand what you're saying about showing other aspects of the war... but the way it is delivered is flawed. As you say, the show is good, but not that good... and the problem is not with the subject matter, the acting, the writing, the cinematography... it's a problem with whoever is putting the show together.

But last night's episode was a major step in the right direction. If the show improves steadily from here, I will be excited to see what comes next.

Yes I do agree with you. I keep hearing of these extended cuts of the first 2 or 3 episodes hopefully they will re-appear.

But yea I think the last one was good too. But yea I think the show may be getting on a better narrative now.

I think this series is great but I still need to see Band of Brothers. I'll definitely be netflixing that series.

I've been highly critical of the early episodes of this series, Gadalcanal and the shore leave episodes were pathetic, as far as building a TV show goes. They failed utterely IMO with the opening arc of this miniseries.

that being said. The Peleliu arc is brilliant. Ever since Joe Mazello has shipped out to the pacific, the show has been infinitely better... and every subsequent episode has improved upon the last. If the show keeps moving in the same direction, it should end on a great note.

it's just too bad they wasted 30-40% of the miniseries on the opening arc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"