HD-DVD add-on

TNC9852002

Banned User
Reaction score
Now that the HD-DVD Player is dropping in price big time, I'm now wondering if it's in my best interest to pick one up.

Should I go for it or should I just wait for all of the previous HD-DVD exclusives to come to Blu-ray?

-TNC

I don't know why you would want to buy a dead format.

Now that the HD-DVD Player is dropping in price big time, I'm now wondering if it's in my best interest to pick one up.

Should I go for it or should I just wait for all of the previous HD-DVD exclusives to come to Blu-ray?

-TNC
Dropping in price is more like its been discontinued. I wouldnt pick one up as the format is now dead. Id wait to save up for BR when that goes down in price or just settle with using regular DVDs

Yeah Microsoft has stated that they will not make them anymore they are being dropped right now. I think your money is better spent on a PS3 or Blu-ray's.

And there is a decent chance M$ will make a BR drive add-on.

Don't go for it. HD DVD is a dead format and dead formats are just not worth an investment. All the studios are now supporting blu-ray so all the HD DVD exclusives will end up on blu-ray eventually.

Frankly it's only worth it to buy HD DVDs is if you already have an HD DVD player.

I'd say it's a great deal, especially if you don't have an DVD upconverter yet.

Think about it. For $50 you'd get the HD DVD drive, 6 HD DVDs, and a universal remote. And although the releases for new releases are about to dry up, that doesn't mean that the previous 450 or so releases won't be available to buy and use.

Also remember that the drive can be used with your computer, too.

$50 is a steal.

I'd say it's a great deal, especially if you don't have an DVD upconverter yet.

Think about it. For $50 you'd get the HD DVD drive, 6 HD DVDs, and a universal remote. And although the releases for new releases are about to dry up, that doesn't mean that the previous 450 or so releases won't be available to buy and use.

Also remember that the drive can be used with your computer, too.

$50 is a steal.

But all those movies are either already on blu-ray or will eventually be on blu-ray now that Paramount and Universal have announced their support blu-ray.

Buying into format who's releases are now very limited just isn't worth it when you can get all the same movies on blu-ray. If he's serious into going into HD movies it would be a waste of time because he'd eventually have to go into blu-ray anyways.

The HD DVD firesale is only really worth it to those who already have an HD DVD player, not those who don't.

-TNC

Those HD-DVD won't be exclusives for long, so if you really want a hi def DVD player, get Blu-Ray, HD-DVD is a dead technology.

Well you can also try and look at it from a past point of view and try and think how you would have felt. Do you think you would have regretted buying a super cheap Betamax player if you knew VHS showed market dominance?

Well you can also try and look at it from a past point of view and try and think how you would have felt. Do you think you would have regretted buying a super cheap Betamax player if you knew VHS showed market dominance?

I regret buying a Sega Saturn.

But all those movies are either already on blu-ray or will eventually be on blu-ray now that Paramount and Universal have announced their support blu-ray.

Buying into format who's releases are now very limited just isn't worth it when you can get all the same movies on blu-ray. If he's serious into going into HD movies it would be a waste of time because he'd eventually have to go into blu-ray anyways.

The HD DVD firesale is only really worth it to those who already have an HD DVD player, not those who don't.

What would be your advice to someone if they thought about getting a PS2 if it went down to $50 today? Would you tell them not to waste their money and get a PS3 that plays all the PS2 games and will continue to have more games out, even though it costs 8x's as much to get the player than the PS2?

well its different. If the person is also interested in PS3 games, then Id tell them to get the PS3 with BC. If they have no desire at all in PS3 gaming, then they should stick with the much cheaper PS2. The analogy you put out there is under the assumption that the buyer only wants whatever films have been released on HD-DVD and no other future titles or BR exclusives. I think most HD buyers wont fall under that

I was thinking of buying a HD-DVD player since they are going to be dropping in price. It would be a nice addition to my Blu-Ray player. There might be some movies that were released in HD but not Blu-Ray...Beowulf, TimeCop, Transformers...

What would be your advice to someone if they thought about getting a PS2 if it went down to $50 today? Would you tell them not to waste their money and get a PS3 that plays all the PS2 games and will continue to have more games out, even though it costs 8x's as much to get the player than the PS2?

That's completely different. The Playstation 2 has a very good and large library of games, there are no plans for third parties to drop Playstation 2 support, and a video gamer has the choice to go with the Playstation 2, Xbox 360, Playstation 3, Wii, and whatnot.

But we're talking about hi-def movies here which is completely different from gaming. There is no choice any more between blu-ray or HD DVD. If you want to get into hi-def movies now you pretty much have to go with blu-ray because Toshiba and Microsoft decided to stop supporting it and the support of Universal, Warner Bros., and Paramount will end very soon too. The HD Format War is over and blu-ray won.

All those HD DVD movies that are exclusive to the format will eventually end up on blu-ray. Why waste investing in something where the very same thing will end up on the competing format that has a future that he's going to have to get eventually if he's serious in hi-def movies.

I was thinking of buying a HD-DVD player since they are going to be dropping in price. It would be a nice addition to my Blu-Ray player. There might be some movies that were released in HD but not Blu-Ray...Beowulf, TimeCop, Transformers...

Those movies will end up on blu-ray now that Paramount and Universal support the blu-ray format.

Those movies will eventually come, especially Transformers and Beowulf.

Those movies will end up on blu-ray now that Paramount and Universal support the blu-ray format.

Those movies will eventually come, especially Transformers and Beowulf.

The crappy part of all this is that I bought the HD-DVD addon for the 360 and bought a bunch of HD-DVD movies. I've noticed that the 360 runs loud when watching movies, so I figured I would buy a cheap HD-DVD player at some point to play these movies.

The crappy part of all this is that I bought the HD-DVD addon for the 360 and bought a bunch of HD-DVD movies. I've noticed that the 360 runs loud when watching movies, so I figured I would buy a cheap HD-DVD player at some point to play these movies.

Can't you send it in to fix it then?

I mean the fan is loud. Not the unit itself. It's not quiet like a normal DVD player.

-TNC

Honestly, I wouldn't advise it. The player and the movies will of course still work long after the format dies. However, once they stop producing HD DVD players, and any warranty on said players stops, if your player breaks down you're stuck with disks you can't do anything with. However, there are going to be a lot of really cheap deals, so if you see a great BOGO sale or something and see movies you think justify the price, then just go for what makes you happy. Some of the clearance prices for HD DVD will probably make the movies far cheaper than DVD prices, just as HD DVD and Blu-ray have had with BOGO's last year. Like I said tho if you build up a collection of cheap movies and that player dies after your warranty is out you're going to be stuck with a collection of movies you can't play unless you go flea market/pawn shop/ebay hunting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sumilumi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"