HD Help..

Daredevil886

Civilian
Reaction score
Here is my TV

It says it supports up to 1080i.
I just bought an arcade system, and as you might know.. they do not come with component cables, forcing me to buy a set.
I got a set of psyclone cables with 360, ps2, ps3 and wii attachments for like $20.

Now, i'm aware of the fact that 480 is not HD.. so when I go to change that in the system blade to 720 or 1080 and my picture gets alot thinner.

My question is.. is it because my tv is 4:3, or could it be the piece of s**t cables?
I read somewhere that certain component cables can act as composite cables, just brighter with sharper colors.

:huh:

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Make sure the HD "switch" is on HD, and that in the system menu, you have it set to take 1080i or 720p.

That's the thing, with these cables I bought, there is no HD switch like on the microsoft ones.
But I figured since they were only component, there was no need for one.

Are there Red, Green Blue and audio wires? If it's just red white and yellow, there's no HD.

The wires are red, green and blue for the video then red and white for the audio.

Anyone think a VGA cable might be the answer to my problems?
Cause I really don't see anything else that would help..

I prefer the picture I get with my VGA cables to the one I get with the component cables.

The wires are red, green and blue for the video then red and white for the audio.

Plug them all into the appropriate slots on your TV. Then, make sure the console is outputting in high-def via the Dashboard.

There HAS to be an HD switch on the cable plug. Check again.

Plug the tv in. Oh wait, this isn't Baadshah.

How did you get $75 cables for $20? :confused:

Plug the tv in. Oh wait, this isn't Baadshah.

How did you get $75 cables for $20? :confused:

They're not the microsoft cables, they're "psyclone".
3rd party s**t.
Therefore, there's no HD switch.
I know exactly what you guys are saying, but since the arcade system didn't some with component cables, I had to buy a set. And they were only 20 bucks.

I'm thinking they're just acting as fancy composite cables and that's why my image is streched vertically.

Tomorrow after work i'm gonna pick up the actual microsoft VGA cable and see if that changes anything.

Do you mean "thinner" as in widescreen with the black bars on top and bottom of your screen?

If so 720p, 1080i, and 1080p are broadcast in widescreen format while 480p is in standard 4:3.

your set up is fine.

Do you mean "thinner" as in widescreen with the black bars on top and bottom of your screen?

If so 720p, 1080i, and 1080p are broadcast in widescreen format while 480p is in standard 4:3.

your set up is fine.

Nope, no black bars.. that's the problem.
It's stretching vertically, filling in the space where the black bars are supposed to be.
I mean, it's not THAT bad.. but I know for a fact it's not supposed to be like that because everything is waay thinner.

Obviously the 360 doesn't have a big enough engine to ride on the road of HD. :confused:

Nope, no black bars.. that's the problem.
It's stretching vertically, filling in the space where the black bars are supposed to be.
I mean, it's not THAT bad.. but I know for a fact it's not supposed to be like that because everything is waay thinner.

in that case, i'd look at your tv settings.
you might have an option to change formats(most tv's do).
it's more than likely set at 4:3 stretching the image to fit your screen.
hopefully, you have an option to set it to 16:9.
good luck!

If your TV looks like this, you're doing it wrong.

whathassciencedone.jpg

in that case, i'd look at your tv settings.
you might have an option to change formats(most tv's do).
it's more than likely set at 4:3 stretching the image to fit your screen.
hopefully, you have an option to set it to 16:9.
good luck!

I got 3 settings.. 4:3, full and zoom.

4:3 and full are the same, so i dunno wtf it's even there, and zoom just crops the hell out of it.

Off to get my VGA cable.
And if that doesn't work, then it's off to the fridge for beer, to forget about my xbox troubles.

EDIT: Went to get the VGA cable, dude at gamestop told me not to bother because my tv's aspect ratio is only 4:3.
He was really cool about it and just said i'm better off keeping it at 480 and run progressive scan.
Oh well, haha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"