HDTV Shopping Help

HankTheTurtle

Civilian
Reaction score
Ok. I'm currently looking into getting me an HDTV, but I need some help.

I've been looking at product reviews and stuff, but I just don't know what's really important. They talk about all these pros and cons (black levels, color accuracy, ect.), and I can't figure out what really matters. I know there are some great tech minded people here, so..... please help.

Here are the basics of what I'm looking for.

$500 to $850ish - That's what I'm comfortable spending. I might be able to go a little higher, but I'd like to try to stay in that range.

32 inch screen - It's going to go in my room. 32 inches is the biggest I'll be able to fit. (and even then I'll have to jury-rig something)

1080p - When I decided I would get a smaller screen I thought I would settle for 720p and get something less expensive, but I can't bring myself to do it. I realize with the smaller screen the difference isn't going to be very noticeable and I'll be paying a bit more, but I don't want to be stuck with 720p until I can build a real home theater.

Refresh Rate - I don't know how much this matters.

For the time being the only thing on it that would actually be in HD would be my X box. Depending on prices, I would seriously consider buying a BluRay player with, or soon after, the tv. I don't see having HD cable any time soon. Are network stations broadcast in hd?

I found this one, and it seems to fit my requirements. Then I saw the two reviews saying it died, which freaks me out a bit. Any other suggestions?

I brought i 32" LG5700 about a year ago, its amazingly good, and has a pretty high contrast ratio of 50,000:1 and 1080p. Which really makes blu-ray disks on my ps3 look amazing!
http://www.testfreaks.co.uk/tvs/lg-32lg5700/

so if you can find a LG tv with similar specs as that you really cant go wrong

Ok. I'm currently looking into getting me an HDTV, but I need some help.

I've been looking at product reviews and stuff, but I just don't know what's really important. They talk about all these pros and cons (black levels, color accuracy, ect.), and I can't figure out what really matters. I know there are some great tech minded people here, so..... please help.

Here are the basics of what I'm looking for.

$500 to $850ish - That's what I'm comfortable spending. I might be able to go a little higher, but I'd like to try to stay in that range.

32 inch screen - It's going to go in my room. 32 inches is the biggest I'll be able to fit. (and even then I'll have to jury-rig something)

1080p - When I decided I would get a smaller screen I thought I would settle for 720p and get something less expensive, but I can't bring myself to do it. I realize with the smaller screen the difference isn't going to be very noticeable and I'll be paying a bit more, but I don't want to be stuck with 720p until I can build a real home theater.

Refresh Rate - I don't know how much this matters.

For the time being the only thing on it that would actually be in HD would be my X box. Depending on prices, I would seriously consider buying a BluRay player with, or soon after, the tv. I don't see having HD cable any time soon. Are network stations broadcast in hd?

I found this one, and it seems to fit my requirements. Then I saw the two reviews saying it died, which freaks me out a bit. Any other suggestions?

I'd be looking for:

1. 1080p with enough HDMI slots for a Blu-Ray player, Game System, and maybe an extra for a PC hookup if necessary.

2. Refresh rates 90Mhz will display Cinematic 24fps, but if you want 60fps looking shots you should opt for a higher refresh rate.

3. Some Blu-Ray Players and some TV's are internet ready and can broadcoast Netflix, YouTube, Pandora, etc. If you want this functionality I'd suggest getting the Internet Ready HDTV's that are popular now.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sony-KDL32EX500/13812461

$698.00
Sony Bravia 32" LCD 1080p 120Hz HDTV - KDL-32EX500

Experience Full HD 1080p, incredible contrast and sharp, vibrant images with the Sony BRAVIA EX500-Series HDTV. Features incredible motion performance so you enjoy crisp, fluid motion during fast-action scenes plus LightSensor Technology that automatically adjusts brightness based on a room's lighting.
Key Features & Benefits
16:9 LCD panel
With a 1920 x 1080 Full HD resolution
Wide 178-degree vertical and 178-degree horizontal angles
See a clear picture from anywhere in the room
Built in ATSC digital/NTSC analog tuner
Watch conventional and digital broadcasts, including HDTV programs where available
HDMI Inputs: 4
Enjoy a lossless HD experience with HDMI one cable experience

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sony-KDL32EX500/13812461

$698.00
Sony Bravia 32" LCD 1080p 120Hz HDTV - KDL-32EX500

Experience Full HD 1080p, incredible contrast and sharp, vibrant images with the Sony BRAVIA EX500-Series HDTV. Features incredible motion performance so you enjoy crisp, fluid motion during fast-action scenes plus LightSensor Technology that automatically adjusts brightness based on a room's lighting.
Key Features & Benefits
16:9 LCD panel
With a 1920 x 1080 Full HD resolution
Wide 178-degree vertical and 178-degree horizontal angles
See a clear picture from anywhere in the room
Built in ATSC digital/NTSC analog tuner
Watch conventional and digital broadcasts, including HDTV programs where available
HDMI Inputs: 4
Enjoy a lossless HD experience with HDMI one cable experience

Looks good, but I don't see anything saying what the black levels are. I've seen this in a few different reviews of newer sets.

Ok, so I want to a local "Mom and pop" type store, ready to buy, and they didn't have what I wanted. Well, not exactly. They had this one, and I was going to get it, but all they had was the floor model. The guy said it was discontinued, but the new model of it would be arriving in about two weeks along with the new Sonys. Ok, so I'll wait two weeks.

Now, though, I'm looking online and can't for the life of me find anything about the "new model" that's suposed to be coming out. I found this list of what's suposed to be the 2010 models, which lists the 650 series, but anything I find looks like the discontinued one. I thought it might be the 750, but it doesn't look like that's available in a 32 inch model. I'm wondering if the sales guy might have made a mistake, and thought the 750 has a 32 inch model or if the 650 hasn't actually been discontinued. Maybe he was confused with the Sonys. I don't know.

Does anyone know what the deal might be?

Heh. Looks like I'm not the only one who adores LG's LCDs. I've had mine for about 2 months and have no complaints.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"