Help a girl out

Compatibiliy should be just fine. (Of course, back them up anyway ;))

I've transferred and open Word and Excel documents a lot. I've even open documents on one system in the other without copying them over. Like I said, the only issue I ever found in Office was with PowerPoint animation.

Okay, now I'm really excited ^_^

It's like two computers in one...:up:

Does the tech in Mac's hold up better? Greater longevity and all? I've heard of a few people who have Macs more than a few years old and they still work fine.

*Just so you know it's really hard coming up with questions, and again, I'd rather hear it from users I respect than a salesman*

They hold up OK.
I know they had problems with applying too much thermal compound and it was causing the macbooks to explode
The main problem is that they use ****ty components, but all companies do

I've never had any problems with the hardware quality on my Mac's. They run excellent for years if you take care of them. The other nice thing about Macs is that they will run the latest version of the Mac OS X for many, many years. My in-laws have one of the first editions of the G4 iMac's that I set them up with, and it's running the latest version of OS X just fine (I put more memory and a bigger hard drive in it and it was set). That iMac is seven or eight years old, I think. PC's don't run the latest version of the Windows OS when it gets released; just look at Vista and the fact that the vast majority of people who want to use it have to get a new system.

jag

At the school, my laptop was running the latest OS, but the computer was a few years old. A little slow because of all the software I loaded on it (I pushed it to the limit). But I was still able to run Windows in Virtual PC.

With today's faster tech, it'll be even harder to push the hardware beyond it's limits.

Wow...you must be super lazy. You acknowledge that it's possible to learn how to use a Mac in a few hours but won't switch to one because you'd rather stick with something you're used to? :confused:

Sadly, you're not alone. Most people are afraid to ever try something new or try to break free, even though what they have is painful, complicated, unreliable and difficult to learn and maintain in of itself. I view that as a warning sign of Stockholm Syndrome. All I will say is that anyone who's afraid to step outside of their comfort zone to try something new, especially something that might be better than what they have now, deserves what they get: mediocrity. Most Mac users have been forced to use Windows and know all too well what it's all about. I've found that the reverse is very rarely true with Windows users.

As far as Linux distro's go, Ubuntu is aces. I've used it a little bit and was impressed. aptget uses it pretty steadily, I believe.

jag

I've used a Mac, I just don't feel like buying new programs. A lot of the stuff I have only works for windows.

I might get one, but I'm not in the mood to buy new programs.

Well an Update, I went to the Apple Store and played around a bit.

I also got GREAT counsoling concerning my degree, from a girl who works there and has the same degree as myself.

So, I am getting a Mac, and I'm also changing schools! ^_^

Well an Update, I went to the Apple Store and played around a bit.

I also got GREAT counsoling concerning my degree, from a girl who works there and has the same degree as myself.

So, I am getting a Mac, and I'm also changing schools! ^_^

Wow! And good for you on both counts.

Hey, good for you, twy! Hope you enjoy the changes you're making, both with your new Mac and your new school and direction in your education! :up:

jag

Jag,

What are the fewest fonts that you need in the system fonts folder?

Jag,

What are the fewest fonts that you need in the system fonts folder?

Just whatever the OS installs. You don't need to add any more than that. Removing some of them from your root system folder COULD cause some issues with some applications or the system itself, though, so unless you really know what you're doing, don't muck with them.

jag

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"