Help me build my Graphic Novel Collection

lofoa82

Civilian
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I've started building my graphic novels collection. I'm trying to look for series and characters with rich stories throughout the years, and with a vast collection of stories available.

So far I collect:

- X-Men
- Wolverine
- Justice League
- Batman
- The Avengers
- James Bond (Dynamite)
- Deadpool

I'm looking for at least two additional major series or characters that you would recommend. It can be from any publisher.

Thank you!

The Sandman, by Neil Gaiman, published by DC/Vertigo. The trade paperbacks run ten volumes. Some are better than others but they're all good - and some are outstanding.

Daredevil
Swamp Thing
Nightwing
Moon Knight
Wonder Woman
Superman
Animal Man

Edit: how did I forget Green Lantern? Hal is my favorite DC character. Also, check out Aquaman.

Last edited:
The Sandman, by Neil Gaiman, published by DC/Vertigo. The trade paperbacks run ten volumes. Some are better than others but they're all good - and some are outstanding.

I second this. Sandman at its best is fantastic and at its worst it can be a little tough to get through.

Thank you, Sir!

I'll put it on the list.

Daredevil
Swamp Thing
Nightwing
Moon Knight
Wonder Woman
Superman
Animal Man

Edit: how did I forget Green Lantern? Hal is my favorite DC character. Also, check out Aquaman.

Thank you! I have received several recommendations regarding Daredevil.

I think it may be Daredevil and Sandman my next two targets :)

I second this. Sandman at its best is fantastic and at its worst it can be a little tough to get through.

You guys have been very kind!

I've never got into Sandman... wasn't interested at all, BUT I'll definitely give it a shot thanks to you.

As far as characters go, I'm a DC girl, so these are musts for me:

Superman
Wonder Woman
Green Lantern
Martian Manhunter
Animal Man

And this one's a non-superhero but you should definitely check out Saga by Brian K. Vaughn and Fiona Staples, published by Image Comics. One of the best series out there, imo.

As far as characters go, I'm a DC girl, so these are musts for me:

Superman
Wonder Woman
Green Lantern
Martian Manhunter
Animal Man

And this one's a non-superhero but you should definitely check out Saga by Brian K. Vaughn and Fiona Staples, published by Image Comics. One of the best series out there, imo.

Thank you flickchick85!

To be honest with you, I wasn't interested in the past on Superman because I find him too good, perfect and invincible. I do have to say that I haven't read much from him though, mostly JLA and important stories like The Dark Knight Returns but haven't got into specific Superman stories.

I believe that flawed and vulnerable characters serve for better stories. Again, I may be wrong with Superman though.

At this moment, I'm hesitant between collect Spider-Man or Superman stories.

Are there any specific Superman stories that you could recommend, chickflick85?

Thank you!

I can recommend two great (IMO) Superman stories - Kingdom Come and Red Son, both of which are Elseworld tales. Red Son is a Superman story through and through, whilst Kingdome Come (for me the greatest comic ever written) is essentially a Justice League story that's centered around Superman's actions (or lack of them). I enjoy stories that look at the moral implications of having a Superman and what he should/shouldn't do - both of these do that.

Edit: Have you tried Injustice: Gods Among Us? It's one of the best series to come out of DC in recent years. It treads some similar ground to KC and RS but it's different enough to be well worth a read.

Last edited:
Thank you flickchick85!

To be honest with you, I wasn't interested in the past on Superman because I find him too good, perfect and invincible. I do have to say that I haven't read much from him though, mostly JLA and important stories like The Dark Knight Returns but haven't got into specific Superman stories.

I believe that flawed and vulnerable characters serve for better stories. Again, I may be wrong with Superman though.

At this moment, I'm hesitant between collect Spider-Man or Superman stories.

Are there any specific Superman stories that you could recommend, chickflick85?

Thank you!
Of course! I actually find Superman more relatable than most "dark" heroes like Batman or his ilk, because his upbringing and goals in life are very simple - he just wants to fit in, make friends, hold down a decent job, settle down with someone he loves, take care of his family, be a good neighbor and make a difference as best he can. I can't relate to being a billionaire genius playboy on a neverending self-destructive mission of justice, or a princess of an ancient warrior society, but I can relate to that. His powers and alien origin just make most of these simple goals a bit more difficult for him. ;) And I like that he's more humble than most and open-hearted and that his first inclination in any conflict is to attempt to understand and relate to his opponent. He struggles with the most basic things that we all do, while others can only see him as a god. He certainly has flaws and vulnerabilities...they just aren't as often the physical kind.

I also find Superman stories more compelling than most because when you have such an extremely powerful being at the center, the conflict of the (good) stories inevitably becomes less about whether he CAN do something, but more about what he SHOULD do. So this gives way to some great and nuanced morality fables when in the hands of good writers.

Anyhoo, some of my favorite Superman stories:

-Superman: Birthright by Mark Waid (this is the best take on Supes' origin story, imo, and an ideal introduction to the character)
-Superman: Secret Identity by Kurt Busiek (an "Elseworld" tale, but a great one)
-Superman: Up, Up and Away by Kurt Busiek and Geoff Johns
-All-Star Superman by Grant Morrison
-Superman Unchained by Scott Snyder
-Action Comics by Grant Morrison
-Action Comics by Greg Pak (especially Vol.5 "What Lies Beneath")
-Superman: Rebirth by Peter Tomasi

Also, just for the record, The Dark Knight Returns may be a good classic Batman story, but it is a TERRIBLE take on Superman. No one should get their impressions of this character from that book, imo. :)

Last edited:
Of course! I actually find Superman more relatable than most "dark" heroes like Batman or his ilk, because his upbringing and goals in life are very simple - he just wants to fit in, make friends, hold down a decent job, settle down with someone he loves, take care of his family, be a good neighbor and make a difference as best he can. I can't relate to being a billionaire genius playboy on a neverending self-destructive mission of justice, or a princess of an ancient warrior society, but I can relate to that. His powers and alien origin just make most of these simple goals a bit more difficult for him. ;) And I like that he's more humble than most and open-hearted and that his first inclination in any conflict is to attempt to understand and relate to his opponent. He struggles with the most basic things that we all do, while others can only see him as a god. He certainly has flaws and vulnerabilities...they just aren't as often the physical kind.

I also find Superman stories more compelling than most because when you have such an extremely powerful being at the center, the conflict of the (good) stories inevitably becomes less about whether he CAN do something, but more about what he SHOULD do. So this gives way to some great and nuanced morality fables when in the hands of good writers.

Anyhoo, some of my favorite Superman stories:

-Superman: Birthright by Mark Waid (this is the best take on Supes' origin story, imo, and an ideal introduction to the character)
-Superman: Secret Identity by Kurt Busiek (an "Elseworld" tale, but a great one)
-Superman: Up, Up and Away by Kurt Busiek and Geoff Johns
-All-Star Superman by Grant Morrison
-Superman Unchained by Scott Snyder
-Action Comics by Grant Morrison
-Action Comics by Greg Pak (especially Vol.5 "What Lies Beneath")
-Superman: Rebirth by Peter Tomasi

Also, just for the record, The Dark Knight Returns may be a good classic Batman story, but it is a TERRIBLE take on Superman. No one should get their impressions of this character from that book, imo. :)

I love Up, Up and Away. Very underrated story.

I love Up, Up and Away. Very underrated story.
Just saw this post, but yeah, that's my most recent read on the list. Ashamed it took me so long to get to it because I absolutely adore Secret Identity. Finally got to it a few months ago, and yep, instant fave. I really need to read his whole run. That's currently an unfortunate gap in my Superman reading history, and I love his take on the character.

For another take on super heros you might try the :"Astro City" collections by Kurt Busiek.

I love Up Up and Away! Also Birthright and All Star. And any graphic novel collection that doesn’t have Kingdom Come in it is woefully incomplete.

I’d also second Swamp Thing and Daredevil.

From what hasn’t been listed, I’d say V for Vendetta and No Man’s Land. I also love Battle for the Cowl and would recommend that if you are a Nightwing fan

Last edited:
Get anything by Jeff Lemire, you can't really go wrong.

However, to narrow it down definitely check out the Black Hammer stuff that is being released through Dark Horse Comics. Just FANTASTIC stuff!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"