Help! Need Opinion on Work Relocation

dpm07

Hiking Hero
Reaction score
I have just been offered a job in Corrections in Wyoming.

My background and education is not in this field, but with the economy bad in my home state of Michigan, I was offered the job the other day on a recruiting session Wyoming did in Michigan.

The issue isn't the money. It's decent. It's not the job itself. I can deal with it, and work on going to school for something else. The main issue is what is there to do in WY?? By the recruiter's admission, there's little culture. It's a dust bowl practically, and it's a real cowboy wrangler kind of place which is really not my style. Still, it's a job.

Background on me. I love the Arts (Volunteer Speaker at the DIA in Detroit), Single in my 30's, and never been married or kids, so I don't have that baggage or dead weight. I love ballroom and Latin Dancing, too (activities I do in my spare time). The primary selling points the recruiter gave for recreation are hunting and fishing. I am totally not into either activity. Outdoor activities I enjoy are Scuba Diving (Which is not big in WY). Some of the women I've seen there are pretty disgusting looking and I'm concerned that any social life I might be interested in would be gone. There doesn't appear to be any kind of metropolitan life there. It's the least populated state in the US, and all the prisons are like 2 hours from Cheyenne. The main city in WY.

While I have no long term ambitions on being a Corrections Officer, I could segue or transition later on into Forensics, or Police Work, or one of the nearby states that do have more population. I guess I am just used to having an option of going to different clubs, or seeing a large cinemaplex, or enjoying music that is not hillbilly or country. I like the cultural activities and international events that I do with the DIA, and that are a part of my part-time job I currently have.

I'm not sure what I should do. Any suggestions?

Well... this is what the Tourism site for Cheyenne, Wyoming has to say:

Welcome to Cheyenne, Wyoming, your Rodeo and Railroad Capital! Cheyenne boasts many western attractions, including Cheyenne Frontier Days, the world's largest outdoor rodeo. Cheyenne's colorful railroad history ranges from its historic train depot to Big Boy, the world's largest steam engine.

http://www.cheyenne.org/

However, there is some hope, because I found a site advertising lessons in Ballroom Dancing (and where there are lessons there ought to be places to use the learning)

http://www.accessdance.com/dance_lessons/state/WY/C/

And apparantly there are Salsa Bands too...

http://www.gigmasters.com/Salsa/Salsa_Cheyenne_WY.asp

I suggest you do some internet searches on Cheyenne and then perhaps visit for a weekend to actually see what the city is like.

:woot: Hey, I aim to please, and for folk of the same sex all I can really do is offer advice ;)

:woot: Hey, I aim to please, and for folk of the same sex all I can really do is offer advice ;)

I am grateful. I do appreciate this.

As a single male who has this in front of him, you've definitely been helpful.

The thing that bothers me the most is that people say, "Well, change your interests." The thing is, one can't change who they are, or what they like. I enjoy a more metropolitan life. I will definitely have to do some thinking to see if this is worth it. If the state were not so far away, I'd definitely go out there and check it out to see if it is a place I would like.

dpm, I have spent time in Wyoming. It's a beautiful state and a haven if you are somewhat of a loner and enjoy outdoor activities. For the type of person you have described yourself as, though, I can't see it being a good fit, to be honest. There's a REASON they have to go to places like Michigan to try and recruit people to work in their penal system. Wyoming's not the only place in the country that has jobs. Perhaps some time spent on Monster.com would be of better benefit to you?

jag

One of the best and simplest things you can do is just list out the pros and cons of making that move. That way you can get a clearer picture of if this is going to be a good thing for you or not. From what you described above it doesn't seem like WY really fits your way of life. And while there may be hidden things that you could find there that you really like...coming from a state that also doesn't have alot to do (Nebraska)....when someone suggests that there isn't much to do there, they are pretty much correct.

I am grateful. I do appreciate this.

As a single male who has this in front of him, you've definitely been helpful.

The thing that bothers me the most is that people say, "Well, change your interests." The thing is, one can't change who they are, or what they like. I enjoy a more metropolitan life. I will definitely have to do some thinking to see if this is worth it. If the state were not so far away, I'd definitely go out there and check it out to see if it is a place I would like.

I agree. You can't change who you are, though sometimes you can "open your doors" to new experiences. I still think your best bet would be to try to visit the place. After all, this is a major change you're thinking of and you should try to check it out to the best of your ability before making the jump. You might want to see if there are discount flights at different times or seat sales or something. See if the people who offered you the job can recommend a hotel/motel to stay in that wouldn't be too expensive. Frankly, would you rather turn over your entire life only to find you've made a mistake or invest a few hundred dollars to see what you'ld be getting yourself into?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"