Help! Being treated unjustly at work and have no idea how to change it

hopefuldreamer

Clark Kent > Superman
Reaction score
Hey guys, appreciate that it's a bit of boring subject matter, but could really do with an outsiders opinion on my situation :)

I've been at my job in advertising sales now for about a year and a half. The job is £12,000 a year, £37.5 hrs per week +bonus.

It basically entails me acting as receptionist, advertising advisor, and sales person. There are 6 of us, all working towards personal targets, which equate to bonuses if surpassed (£5 for meeting target, and 5% the total amount you are over target).

Whether you take an advert over the counter, over the phone or from a cold call you've made, it is all supposed to go onto your 'code' and count towards your target.

Since I have been on Situations Vacant my target has been higher than everyone elses (Mine is £1000 per week, my Colleagues range from £400- £800), as the adverts are the most expensive in the paper. This is incredibly difficult for a few reasons.

1. The more money the adverts are, the less people are likely to buy them.

2. Most of the people who want to advertise locally for positions, are quite happy to do it for free in the job centre, or on job websites, rather than spend £112+vat on a credit card size box for one week.

3. It is difficult, other than offering your publication to people who you have seen advertising job vacancies in rival publications, to canvas for the jobs section. Unlike other things, you cannot simply go through the phone book calling people and saying 'Hi, have you got any job vacancies you want to advertise'.

4. We are in a recession... there are not a lot of jobs around anyway!

Due to obvious reasons, there are very few adverts being placed for jobs, and the few that do, place them through agencies.

4 months ago I was told I am no longer allowed to put on my code anything that comes from an agency, though I still have to do the work for them.

A month ago, I was transferred down to a smaller office, working with just one other person. I am no longer allowed to put anything I take over the counter on my code, I have to put it all on hers.

The only things that are allowed to go onto my code are situations vacant, and things I have cold called. My target has not been lowered at all.

I feel victimised. I feel like I have been demoted to an office assistant because I have absolutely no chance of ever making a bonus, but I am contributing to my workmates bonus instead. I basically do half of her work for her, and she gets all the money for it (and she's as upset about it as I am).

I am usually just the kind of person who either puts up and shuts up, or just starts looking for another job, but it's begin to make me very bitter.

I do the minimum amount of work possible, because i'm developing the attitude of 'well why the bloody hell should i?', and I know it needs resolving or I am going to end up exploding with resentment.

What do you think I should do?

discuss it with your higher ups. if its fixed great. if not, find another job.

the worst thing you can do is to keep quiet and become a resentful slacker. that won't help anything.

I agree with Spider-Who? You have to say something to someone who can change your situation. If you become umhappy you will start to slack.

The problem is, when I was first told about the changes, I objected. I gave my reasons for objecting, and was told that we would have to 'see how it goes' and discuss it at a later date. But every time I try to bring it up again, it gets put off, they are too busy. I'm stuck down in this little office, my bosses are 10 miles away in another office, and so how can I have a meeting with one of them until THEY are ready to give me the time?

By the sounds of it we're very different people, but go and confront them about it. Tell them you're not happy and why. If they don't do anything about it, tell them where to shove their position.

Last edited:
You should just burn that mother ****er down.

They will continue to ignore you until you FORCE them to acknowledge you. Even if you have to walk into their office uninvited and say "We need to discuss this and figure out a solution now, or I'll have no choice but to leave." They're hoping you'll just sit back and accept it, but this is your job, your money, your life on the line, and you deserve to have your concerns met and discussed. Otherwise, it's no one's fault but your own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"