Hipster movies?

Maximus One

Eklypze Is Dead
Reaction score
I don't create threads too often around here but I was sitting here trying to find this old thread I randomly remembered called something along the lines of "List of Hipster Films/Movies" something of the sort and I can't find it anywhere. I've done a pretty extensive search and just cannot find it. I was only looking for it because I remember there being some really great movies mentioned in there I just can't find it anywhere. Any help is appreciated

I'm of two minds of it because 'hipster' is a meaningless word now. It's like if you like Wes Anderson movie or art exhibits, are you a hipster? Stuff like that.

But that said, check out any mumblecore movie if you wanna go textbook hipster I suppose.

I'm just trying to find that thread cuz there were some great movies listed in there. And, that's just what the thread was called. I remember cuz there was a discussion in there about what makes somebody a hipster or a hipster movie blah blah blah. Lol not a big deal

I'm of two minds of it because 'hipster' is a meaningless word now. It's like if you like Wes Anderson movie or art exhibits, are you a hipster? Stuff like that.

But that said, check out any mumblecore movie if you wanna go textbook hipster I suppose.
Yeah I hear it being used at anything that is independent cinema. However I have still not quite understood what a hipster exactly is.

As Octoberist said mumblecore movies are often considered Hipster flicks

Im as sick of hearing the word hipster as much as I've grow To despise anyone who uses the word emo to describe something. Its the same as using the word "ghetto" it's considered generalizing, I find it ridiculous.

The first thing I thought of when seeing the thread title was Jim Jarmusch. Some kind of pseudo cool, black and white movie where a bunch of 'cool' people talk crap and smoke cigarettes. Of course I'm generalising and I'll hear nothing bad said about Ghost Dog.

As for mumblecore, I wouldn't necessarily class the Duplass' brothers films as 'hipster', since they feel emotionally genuine and don't feel like they're trying to be cool.

I remember in the thread I am talking about these were some of the films mentioned which I find all great honestly didn't really get the "hipster" designation.

Garden State
I <3 Huckabees
Being John Malkovich
Adaptation
Rushmore

Just to name a few. And I know this was a pointless thread. I just wanted to find that old one cuz most movies mentioned I thought were great films

The things is everyone coming into this (And the old) thread has an entirely different definition of 'hipster'.

Basically any movie can be "hipster"-like if someone is only proclaiming their fandom for it in order to gain some kind of cultural cache, to put on airs of being edgy or knowlegeable or cool.

There's also matters of purposefully 'ironic' enjoyment
Just because people misuse the term hipster doesn't mean it is meaningless.

That said, I can generally gauge how how well I want to get to know someone based upon their opinion of

fountain_ver2.jpg

Donnie Darko
Requiem for a Dream

I got so tired of people talking about these when I was in college. "I like those movies, they make you think!!" Because of course we need movies to make us think.

Its not as if Requiem for a Dream is particularly complex to begin with...

It is pretty well in your face with everything which is largely the point.

Basically any movie can be "hipster"-like if someone is only proclaiming their fandom for it in order to gain some kind of cultural cache, to put on airs of being edgy or knowlegeable or cool.

There's also matters of purposefully 'ironic' enjoyment
Just because people misuse the term hipster doesn't mean it is meaningless.

That said, I can generally gauge how how well I want to get to know someone based upon their opinion of

fountain_ver2.jpg

I would say, out of 5 people, maybe one would use it within the right context whether if its or satirical or textbook. So it's becoming meaningless though its valid when the word is used right.

Its not as if Requiem for a Dream is particularly complex to begin with...

It is pretty well in your face with everything which is largely the point.

Agreed, which made it even more annoying when I'd hear people say that.

The things is everyone coming into this (And the old) thread has an entirely different definition of 'hipster'.

That's because like most fools on the internet, they don't know the true meaning and just use the word towards Anything they dislike. A few years ago, if someone didn't like something, they would just call it emo.

It's similar to how some directors get called hacks by idiots who simply don't like their films and don't know what a hack truly is.

I don't call really anything emo or hipster because it's pretty stupid.

I remember when the Evil Dead red band trailer hit Youtube, in the comments some *****e bag said, "this looks like hipster horror". :dry:

My only guess as to why he called it that was because one of the guys in the film had glasses on...because that always means someone is a hipster. :dry:

That's because like most fools on the internet, they don't know the true meaning and just use the word towards Anything they dislike. A few years ago, if someone didn't like something, they would just call it emo.

It's similar to how some directors get called hacks by idiots who simply don't like their films and don't know what a hack truly is.

I don't call really anything emo or hipster because it's pretty stupid.

I remember when the Evil Dead red band trailer hit Youtube, in the comments some *****e bag said, "this looks like hipster horror". :dry:

My only guess as to why he called it that was because one of the guys in the film had glasses on...because that always means someone is a hipster. :dry:

I had eye problems back when it wasn't cool.

I had eye problems back when it wasn't cool.

:funny:

Exactly!

I know that's become the hip thing with some people, to wear glasses when they don't really need them. It's just ridiculous to label just anyone a hipster for wearing them without knowing if they really do have eye problems or not.

I think because with the advent of contacts and laser surgery, it's obvious anyone who wears glasses is either doing it for fashion or just reluctance to put **** in their eye.

I don't think movies like Donnie Darko or Inception are even that hard to follow. You don't need a PHD from Yale to follow those movies.
Yep :up:

I don't think movies like Donnie Darko or Inception are even that hard to follow. You don't need a PHD from Yale to follow those movies.

Yep :up:

Indeed and yet there are folks who use them as the standard for "deep" movies and like to act as if they are the only ones who truly understand them.

It is fine to dissect movies and quite a lot of fun to overthink even the most trivial and slight films.

It is quite another to act as if doing so makes you better than other people.

There are some movies that get used this way more than others which whatever the merits of the films themselves may be eligible for such a list.

There's also the case of films doing a similar thing themselves. There are films that are over serious or that try to give weight to some theme or conclusion that is nowhere near as profound or successful as the film wants it to be.

And then there are movies that many consider to be overly twee and emotionally insincere. A lot of people slap Wes Anderson movies with a hipster label but at the very least his style is distinctly his own. It may be more valid for the number of indie films that try and fail to match him.

I don't create threads too often around here but I was sitting here trying to find this old thread I randomly remembered called something along the lines of "List of Hipster Films/Movies" something of the sort and I can't find it anywhere. I've done a pretty extensive search and just cannot find it. I was only looking for it because I remember there being some really great movies mentioned in there I just can't find it anywhere. Any help is appreciated

Is this it?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"