• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

How can you make a good Superman game.

Dude101

Sidekick
Reaction score
An open world- like Fallout 3/GTA 4 with the ability to do the main quest or side mission and the ability to fly into different cities of the DC Universe and also to fly into space and go explore a couple of planets and have some space battles. The ideal size of planets would be something 2 or 3 cities worth of exportability and roaming area.

Any story I like a Intergang,Lex Luthor, and Darkside plot.

Bosses Darkside,Luthor,Bizarro,Female furries,Metallo,and Superman Revenge squad(Limewire,Maxima,Metallo.Parasite.) for the first film.

I'd leave Brainiac,Zod and co pals,Doomsday,Atlas,Mr. Mxyzptlk,Manchester Black, and Mongul. For the second film.

Open sanbox game with locations being Metropolis,War World, The phantom zone where you fight zod, and other little bit of space.

You could fly through space like it was a city, it changes with different cosmic events going on and different planets popping up as you move around. Instead of cars, have asteroids. And there's always the fast travel option where you select the city/planet on a map and he flies there at hyper speed.

I'd make the combat system like Batman AA just less ninjaee and the environment is completely destructible. The game would be like Hulk Ultimate Destruction,Batman AA,Spiderman 2, and Star Wars.

Woah dude you kinda lost me there first you were talking about a Superman game then I see all the business about the first and second film. I'm assuming you think there should be movie based games?

First and foremost you need a good story that can stand on its own, it shouldn't HAVE to be movie based game or tied in to the movies, and second you need a committed and willing group of developers that will take their time and do the game right.

It needs to be open city.

Fully destructable and intelligent environments.

You need good, smooth flight and running mechanics.

The fighting needs to be smooth simple yet engaging

Take advantage of full use of all of Supermans abilities

Great voice cast, and story like TAS (the game has to be about Superman, don't overcrowd it with unnecessary hero and characters)

Acceptable graphics

Unique missions and challenges.

Easy upgrade system.

Visually pleasing graphics and animations.

Everything I just stated is basically what made Batman arkham asylum a great game because that's what's needed to have a successful super hero game, and movies!

Get Rock Steady to do it.

Last edited:
The reason why Superman games suck is mainly due to the flight. There hasnt been a good super hero game featuring flight based characters bc developers cant seem to implement that well into gameplay. Gameplay and controls are arguable the biggest contributing factor to making a good game and screw that up and you automatically have a crappy one. If someone can somehow find a way to perfect it then, I dont think Supes will have much of a problem getting a decent game.

Keep the idea of the city having health, I thought that was a really cool feature of the last game.

Make the city smaller though, I never knew why they felt the need to make this huge city just to show that Superman can go really fast. Bleh.

Just like Superman Returns but with more monster designs. It felt like the same monster over and over and over. Oh and less random encounters so I can enjoy flying about.

easy to use controls (flying) good graphics and a good story free roam

The reason why Superman games suck is mainly due to the flight. There hasnt been a good super hero game featuring flight based characters bc developers cant seem to implement that well into gameplay.

Lies I say!

[YT]r7U2TFIayos[/YT]

I would have been curious to see what the factor 5 superman game would have turned out like. I know they went bankrupt but I wonder if everything was cancelled or if they have given the opportunity to another developer.

Superman Returns game was kinda on the right track, it wasnt terrible but i think the graphics needed to be upgraded and the controls definitely needed work. Also the voice acting from Brandon Routh was the worst thing i have ever heard. But it was still kinda fun flying around. I hope some studio out there tries to pull a Batman: Arkham Asylum with Superman and really tries to make a quality game.

only footage of the factor 5 superman game that was cancelled
[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9SS4shM3XY&eurl=http://www.unseen64.net/2009/03/09/superman-factor-5-x360ps3-cancelled/&feature=player_embedded#t=15[/YT]

Last edited:
Superman Returns game was kinda on the right track, it wasnt terrible but i think the graphics needed to be upgraded and the controls definitely needed work. Also the voice acting from Brandon Routh was the worst thing i have ever heard. But it was still kinda fun flying around. I hope some studio out there tries to pull a Batman: Arkham Asylum with Superman and really tries to make a quality game.

only footage of the factor 5 superman game that was cancelled
[YT]D9SS4shM3XY[/YT]
Put the code after the equals sign to make the video work. ;) Fixed BTW

The reason why Superman games suck is mainly due to the flight. There hasnt been a good super hero game featuring flight based characters bc developers cant seem to implement that well into gameplay. Gameplay and controls are arguable the biggest contributing factor to making a good game and screw that up and you automatically have a crappy one. If someone can somehow find a way to perfect it then, I dont think Supes will have much of a problem getting a decent game.

I think that EA did a good job of capturing the flight mechanics / the feel of flying with Returns the game, the problem was a severe lack of variety in gameplay. They needed to give Supes more to do, a lot more.

So, I would start with the flying mechanics that were implemented in Returns the game, and use that as a starting point.

With a character like Superman, you have to give him a free roam environment, but not just one environment, lets give him five or six different free roam environments where each environment consists of dozens of well mapped out locations to visit and accomplish goals and missions from

heres a quick example from the top of my head.

1.) Metropolis (10 missions)
2.) Kandor (10 missions)
3.) Warworld (10 Missions)
4.) Phantom Zone (10 Missions)
5.) Fortress of Solitude (10 Missions)

Make each of those environments free roam in order to avoid linear gameplay.

was the flight actually good in Superman Returns? I was scared to touch that game bc of all the horrible things I read and heard about it

the flight was decent, the best part was accellerating speed as you flew.

The flying was okay in the SR game, accelerating was the best part about it, but the combat was horrible. The footage for the factor 5 game looked pretty good, too bad nothing came out of it. There's really a lot of potential in a Superman game if a developer takes the time to do it right.

Superman Returns did almost everything about Superman himself right, except the lack of telescopic and x-ray vision plus crappy combat, but the city, missions, etc really needed to be dumped and completely overhauled. No clark and/or Lois = instant fail in a superman game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"