Warhammer

Half Monk, Half Hitman
Reaction score
How do you rate films?

- 1 to 10 Scale?
- 4 Stars?
- 5 Stars?
- Letter Grades?

Personally, I love the 4-star ratings. Letter grades are great, too. 5-star ratings are a tad bit wide, and I hate the 1-10 scale. It is just too many numbers.

I like when people rate films out of ten ... You can get a far better idea of what standard the movie will be.

none of the above.
Enjoyability
Re-watchability
tone, humor, or depth
and
intelligence

I've used the five star rating for about 14 years now and find it to be the best suited to my particular criticisms. I switched to letter grades for about a year but found a few too many variations to deal with and justify. The thing about any rating system, however, is that they are ultimately flawed. I gave Spider-Man 2 and On The Waterfront five star ratings, but they are in no way comparable to eachother. So, while the rating system works in some ways, it is the actual written review that properly rates a movie's quality. The rating is just an easy eye-catcher that people can use to justify whether they should see it or not.

none of the above.
Enjoyability
Re-watchability
tone, humor, or depth
and
intelligence

this would have been a much better thread..."The way in which one rates a Movie" focusing on qualitative aspects!

This is how I rate a movie...

"I liked it."

"I loved it."

"I hated it."

"I've already mentally purchased the dvd." (Combo of the Loved and Hated ones)

I don't do polls anymore, unless I really really hate it.
I either love it, hate it or just liked it.

As far as individual reviews go, 5 star or 1-10 scale.

In poll format, however, it's got to be a like/didn't like/indifferent sort of thing. Numbers are far too abstract for something like that, and what different numbers *feel* like are going to be different for each person even if they technically liked something the same amount, this creates a lack of consistency for any one number, and as a result very rarely will the most recurring number be anything other than a 1 or a 10.

Plus it's very easily misleading. For instance say 50 people voted on a poll about Ambush Bug 2 - Return of the Bug. 20 people gave the movie a 10, 9 gave it a 1. 7 gave it a 2, 8 gave it a 3, and 6 gave it a 4. Your poll would end up having a huge bar for a the 10, and fairly small bars for the smaller numbers, which would make you believe that most people liked the movie, which wouldn't be the case, the majority of people would have given it a low number, but again different numbers mean different things to different people. You can really define the difference between a 2 and a 3. So it's better to make a poll that actually tells you whether people actually liked something or not, rather than just telling you what abstract number recurred the most.

5 Star

1-10 is just way too big scale.

Out of 100 & including decimal points.

Giving only a thumbs up or down seems lazy from a professional reviewer. They're getting paid - they should stick their neck out.

I like letter grades, and 1-10

cause I mean there has to be a standard when it comes to like 3/4 stars, well there is a clear difference between the 3/4 stars I would have given Pirates 3 vs the 3/4 stars I gave American Gangster. so I go with the +/- letter grade

so like Pirates 3 B-, American Gangster B+

that is my favorite, I also like 1-10 . scale so I can give like Pirates 3 8.3 and then AG 8.7

Out of 100 & including decimal points.

Giving only a thumbs up or down seems lazy from a professional reviewer. They're getting paid - they should stick their neck out.

I give this post a 50.000035 out of 100.

It's above average, but only very slightly. Might read again.... but it will be a very close decision.

1-10

1-2=worst movie ever

3-4=had some things I kinda liked

5-6=It was ok to good

7-8=Realy good to excellent

9-10=Goes into my fav movies of all time

I give this post a 50.000035 out of 100.

It's above average, but only very slightly. Might read again.... but it will be a very close decision.
I'm flattered :up: :woot:

1-10

1-2=worst movie ever

3-4=had some things I kinda liked

5-6=It was ok to good

7-8=Realy good to excellent

9-10=Goes into my fav movies of all time

I don't personally rank using a system, but when someone poses me a question like this, your categories are basically how I break mine down.

...but if you have basically 5 different criteria, why not just use a 1-5 scale, or the 5 stars instead of 1-10. I always hated the 1-10 scale honestly. It's too broad.

outta five

one - walk out of the theatre

two - nice bits to it

three - average shizzle

four - a good flick

five - wow factor

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"