How does GoT hold up for you since the final season?

Discussion in 'Game of Thrones' started by a user, Aug 26, 2020.

?

Does GoT still hold up for you despite the final season?

1. The whole show's dead to me because of the final season.

2 vote(s)
    11.8%
  2. I still love GoT, despite a lackluster final season.

7 vote(s)
    41.2%
  3. I still like GoT, but it WAS a show that I loved.... until the final season.

5 vote(s)
    29.4%
  4. The final season wasn't even that lackluster. GoT for life.

3 vote(s)
    17.6%
  1. DarthSkywalker My Hands Are Cold (he/him)

Thus far...

Snow Queen likes this.
  2. Roose Bolton Son of Katas

I think part of my overall disappointment started when the show botched the AFFC/ADWD storylines in seasons 5/6.

But I’m also kind of fascinated in a horrible way of how/why they included what they did and how the thought process of that adaptation worked. Because the show versions of the Martells and Greyjoys...well, yeah...

3. CaptainWagner I'm A Worrier, It's What I Do (P) (he/him)

HEY NOW! Winds is gonna come out eventually. Dream? (Assuming he can actually keep the ending contained to two books) Well, Dream is far less likely, but I like to think that once he gets everyone back to Westeros it will be easier to finish.
    Yep. I could write a freaking thesis about everything that went wrong with the Martells and Greyjoys. I feel so bad for the Dorne cast especially. Some wildly talented actors who got wasted (Alexander Siddig, Jessica Henwick, DeObia Oparei, Kiesha Castle-Hughes) and then the young POC who lost the chance to break out their careers as Arianne, Quentyn or Alleras/Sarella.

4. Drizzle Penguin Silvia

The show might have actually been improved with the addition of the missing Greyjoy and Martell characters from the books. The addition of those characters also could have stretched seasons 7 & 8 to 10 episodes each with extended storylines but Benioff and Weiss were in a mad rush to the finish line so it is what it is.

Also, this coming Monday will be ten years to the day since A Dance with Dragons was published. A whole decade of procrastination!

[​IMG]

CaptainWagner likes this.
  5. CaptainWagner I'm A Worrier, It's What I Do (P) (he/him)

At the very least sticking to the source would have improved the 5th and 6th season, since they were always pretty good when they directly adapted the novels. It was their original content that struggled (outside of individual scenes of dialogue like Varys/Littlefinger, Robert/Cersei).

And you know what's REALLY crazy? It will have been 6 years since that Conan sketch came out. And 4 years since a major Hollywood movie (Logan Lucky) included an extended gag about how TWOW still hadn't been released. And most insane - 10 years and a month since 'Leviathan Wakes' came out, which means George's assistants have written an entire series AND had it adapted into a television show within the time its taken for him to write TWOW :dry:

6. Drizzle Penguin Silvia

I think the added stress of the show took the wind(s of winter) out of GRRM's sails. He was clearly discouraged about the decision for the show to move past the books but I can't really blame HBO/D&D for that because of all the lost revenue that would have come from the show taking a very extended hiatus after season 5.

7. Roose Bolton Son of Katas

Alexander Siddig as Doran was genuinely one of the things I was most excited about seeing and...while he was predictably good, the role itself was really cut down and morphed without Arianne to play off.

DarthSkywalker and CaptainWagner like this.
  8. CaptainWagner I'm A Worrier, It's What I Do (P) (he/him)

I still can't get over his death scene. Like, a lot of the changes they made make logical sense within what they were doing in the show. But there was no reason to not just have Doran reveal his plan to the Sand Snakes and back Daenerys. Instead, they decide to end his story with the exact opposite of where it goes in the books. Show Doran is never more than meets the eye, his disability and concern for peace are ruled as literally making him "weak" and therefore unfit to rule. It feels like willfully spitting in the eye of the source.

DarthSkywalker and Roose Bolton like this.
  9. Roose Bolton Son of Katas

Yeah I definitely get a sense of, well, contempt for the source material at times. Certain characters really seem like they’re attacked or undercut by D&D.

And I recall ages back it came out that they often changed their minds quite a bit with what characters they were going to include. The Greyjoys return in season 6 was evidently a late thing that they debated doing.

10. DarthSkywalker My Hands Are Cold (he/him)

While I definitely felt like they got full of themselves, I think it was less contempt and more not realizing how to adapt past season 4. That was their goal. To adapt ASOS. One they did that, they didn't seem to care.

Also overall, any attempt at condensing or changing material feels like they don't know what is and isn't important. You get a lot of this with Jon beyond the Wall or Dany season 2 and 5 material. This is before we get into how they handle characters like Stannis, Barristan, all the Greyjoys, and many others.

11. Roose Bolton Son of Katas

The whole Sansa issue as well....

12. CaptainWagner I'm A Worrier, It's What I Do (P) (he/him)

Once I started reading the books, it was truly amazing just how much they undermine Sansa's agency from the very beginning. In the books, she's an active participant in her escape from King's Landing. In the show, she just gets dragged off at the last minute. Even things as small as making her just flop around helplessly when Lysa is trying to kill her, instead of fighting back, as she does in the books.

And that's all before getting to the Ramsay disaster :barf:

Roose Bolton and DarthSkywalker like this.
  13. DarthSkywalker My Hands Are Cold (he/him)

I think I blocked that from my memory.

14. Roose Bolton Son of Katas

It’s why I’m not really inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt about anything with this show.

DarthSkywalker likes this.
  15. CaptainWagner I'm A Worrier, It's What I Do (P) (he/him)

I still really want to know whether they really did intend to adapt the Vale storyline when they shot that final scene of Season 4 and just changed their mind later. Or had they already made their decision but not told Condal? Or was the whole thing just a massively cruel "prank" on Sophie Turner to tell her she was going to get a love interest and learn to play the game like Littlefinger in the next season?

They ran the show so haphazardly and were so petty to the cast that any of the above seem equally possible answers.

DarthSkywalker likes this.
  16. childeroland Registered

Except for individual sequences (The Mountain and the Viper, Hardhome, Red Wedding, the Hound vs. Brienne, the Cercei-Dany summit, Hold the Door, etc.), not very well.

17. Another_Fool Registered

I tend to almost pretend "A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms" is the last episode and if I do, then the series holds up very well. However I still don't think the entire final season tarnishes the whole series for me. I only think Jaime's arc gets hurt a bit with his actions and some of his dialogue in his last 2 episodes but I still will always have love for the series.

I genuinely hope the new prequel series will unite the fandom again.