Daredevil Compare DD Season 1 with the rest of the MCU

It's above everything else except The Winter Soldier.

Damn, people really love The Winter Soldier. That movie did absolutely nothing for me. I couldn't distinguish it from all the other vapid blockbusters that Hollywood churns out for a buck. I suppose I'll have to steel myself and give it another watch.

But the first season of Daredevil is probably number one for me. If you catch me on another day, I might say The Avengers or Guardians of the Galaxy, but this series exceeded my expectations.

Captain America: Winter Soldier
Daredevil season 1
Agent Carter Season 1
The Avengers
Iron Man
Avengers: Age of Ultron
Ant Man
Guardians of the Galaxy
Captain America: The First Avenger
Iron Man Three
Agents of SH.I.E.L.D season 2
Iron Man II
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D season 1
Thor
Thor: The Dark World
The Incredible Hulk

Better than anything Marvel ever put on film, or anything DC, Fox and Sony ever released for that matter.
That first season is the best comic book adaptation to EVER grace the screen. Period.

And anyone thinking otherwise is wrong. :D

I really enjoyed Daredevil. And after AOU, I'm looking forward to the Defenders characters's shows more than the movies.

I can't compare a 13 hour long series to 2.5 hour long movies. To me its not fair at all.

DareDevil is without a doubt one of the top 3 comic books put to screen I've ever watched though.

Nevermind yeah I'd probably say its number 1 when comparing it to all the movies and other TV shows.

I really like Agents of Shield and Agent Carter though. Also The Avengers and all three Iron Man movies are hard to beat.

1. Av1
2. Cap2
3. Daredevil Season 1
4. IM1
5. Guardians of the Galaxy

Daredevil’s the only MCU TV series I’ve seen so I can only compare it to the movies.

Thor (just ’cause it’s what got me into the MCU at all) - 8/10
The Avengers - 7.5/10
Daredevil - 7.5/10
CA: TWS - 7/10
CA: TFA - 6/10
IM 1 - 6/10
Thor: TDW - 5.5/10
Avengers: AOU - 5.5/10
GOTG - 5/10

Didn’t include the X-Men movies, since they aren’t part of the MCU, are they? Anyway, I was definitely not expecting to enjoy Daredevil as much as I did, given that most of the MCU stuff doesn’t leave much of an impression on me.

Maybe it’s just unfair to compare a 13 hr season to a 2-hr movie, but I just felt more connection to the characters, like they just felt more real. Matt Murdock is the best thing since Loki, for me anyway :p

1. TIE: The Avengers / Captain America: The Winter Soldier
3. Thor
4. Iron Man
5. Daredevil Season 1
6. Thor: The Dark World
7. TIE: Guardians of the Galaxy / Avengers Age of Ultron
9. Agents of Shield Season 1
10. Agents of Shield Season 3 (1st half)
11. Agent Carter Season 1
12. Ant-Man
13. Captain America: The First Avenger
14. Agents of Shield Season 2
15. Iron Man 2
16. The Incredible Hulk
17. Iron Man 3

I have to say that the only thing from that list that I really didn't like was Iron Man 3.

Gave my rankings another thought and realized it could be switched around. GotG takes the top spot as had a lot of emotion, something most of the Marvel movies lack. Pretty much All the movies/series down to Captain America TWS are all so close and considered great.

Guardians of the Galaxy
Daredevil Season 1
Iron Man
Jessica Jones Season 1
Captain America: Winter Soldier
The Avengers
Avengers: Age of Ultron
Ant Man
Captain America: The First Avenger
Iron Man 2
Iron Man 3
Thor
-
-
The Incredible Hulk
-
-
-
Thor: The Dark World

Avengers / Iron Man 3 / The Winter Soldier
Iron Man / Daredevil
Captain America / Agent Carter
Thor / Age of Ultron / Jessica Jones
Iron Man 2 / Incredible Hulk / Gaurdians of the Galaxy / Agents of Shield
The Dark World / Ant Man

Man, looking at all the rankings, I have to ask: Am I the only one who doesn't hate Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.?

I like AoS more than I like Daredevil, but that's not nessisarily a slight at DD. I'd say technically that DD had very few objective faults (the lighting, some pacing issues, the poorly written exposition) but it just happened to hit a lot of my personal dislikes:

1. Constant violent fighting - yes, I know that's part of what makes it so popular with others but I'm not a visual person and fighting tends to be all eye candy so I just get bored. My favorite thing about fight scenes is one liners, finishing poses, awesome pre-action shots, and quick beats that are only there to serve a character point rather than being about the actual fight none of which are actually part of the fighting and none of which belong in a gritty crime drama ala Daredevil.

AoS and the Marvel Movies, on the other hand, seem to live on this trope. I love it.

anigif_optimized-7727-1419277349-14.gif

bda7e6540c2c1ba9512163c78aef7696.gif

mockingbird-hunter-1429617588.gif

daisy2.gif

tumblr_inline_nkava4b3qN1suf48t.gif

black-widow-disagree-with-my-top-choice-tell-me-who-your-ultimate-female-badass-would-be-gif-175527.gif

2. A poor balance of vigilantism/procedural; like Matt are you even really a lawyer dude? People get tired of SHIELD going out on missions of the week or dealing with other SHIELD like groups and corporations but considering that is SHIELD's job, I'm pretty okay with it.

3. The use of Urich, Karen, and especially Foggy where I feel like their idea was to show that although Matt is surrounded by friends and a support system that would do anything they could to help him, he felt that this fight was his responsibility and so he isolated himself. That's all fine, I actually love that theme. Only it works better if you see what the other characters bring that could help Matt that he was losing out on because of his self isolation. I don't really feel like he suffered all that much for leaving them out of it. He suffered, sure, but most of it was because of stuff they wouldn't have really been able to help with in the first place. The stuff they could help with, they helped with regardless. Plus his forced separation means that for long stretches of the show the Foggy/Karen scenes seemed unrelated. Which I didn't mind as much as others - I love a big cast on shows and don't always have to focus on the main character - but it clashed with what the show wanted to do which is the reason some people didn't like those scenes.

4. There is thematically, dramatically dark and then there is gritty, reality-is-hell dark. Almost any time you have one you automatically engage the other, but usually you lean one way or another. Jessica Jones leaned towards the thematic, and I personally prefer that. DD leaned towards the gritty. There is nothing wrong with that, I just don't personally find it very engaging.

5. Actually, I failed to find most of the characters engaging. I liked Wes and Foggy and Urich. So... that turned out well for me. But again, this is entirely subjective and personal.

AoS has a huge cast, and I'm very much so a character person. I don't know how many times I've mentioned it but if Avengers 2 had just been Joss writing two hours of those guys hanging out at Avengers tower I would have eaten it up. They tend to do a little more than sit around playing Xbox (although there is that!) but the cast on AoS is constantly interacting and I find most of them engaging (although not Lincoln... Lincoln is easily the worst.)

So just because of my personal preferences I really loved AoS despite it's many faults and missteps, where as most of DD just failed to click with me even though I appreciate how well received and much loved it is by the community.

Daredevil is really like a great 10/10 twelve hour movie.

It's not fair to compare it to the films. Imagine giving RDJ's Tony Stark 12 hours of character development in chunks like they are giving DD.

I have to say, I'm only on Episode 3 of Season 1 and this is by far the best thing Marvel Studios has to offer. The movies are crap compared to this. This is how you adapt a comic.

In general, I think television is the way to go for comics. Daredevil, The Flash, Arrow, and Supergirl have felt like comic books come to life more than any movies I've seen.

It's silly waiting 2-3 years for a new movie when there's so much more content with better character development and writing on TV weekly.

Not sure what movies really offer other than too much CGI.

I put Daredevil Season 1 on par with the absolute best of the MCU. It's an absolute game-changer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"