How does Raimi and company feel?

Venom75

Sidekick
Reaction score
They've said all the right things about looking forward to the reboot(at least Tobey and Kirsten have),but how do you guys think Sam Raimi and co. really feel about the Amazing Spider-man? I really get the feeling that deep inside,Kirsten is done with the series and is glad to have moved on. She never seemed that fond of doing the films anyway,especially parts 2 and 3. I could be wrong,but just my impression. Tobey seemed a little bit saddened about moving on,but I'm sure he won't miss the constant working out and watching his weight that he had to do in order to prepare for the films. As for Sam Raimi,I've never really heard from him about being kicked off the series or anything about the reboot.

It would be silly to have any feelings except for excitement over TAS-M. Their feelings of despair or anger(if they still have any) should be directed towards Sony.

I'm sorry. I'm sure none of them have anger towards the new film,but I guess what I meant is what do you think their true reactions are about Sam's series being "cancelled?" Do you really think Sam,Tobey,Kirsten;etc would've done a 4,5 and 6? Or that they were even looking forward to just doing a 4th?

Tobey has said that he is excited for the new movie, but we can't really say how he feels inside. He isn't going to go on television and say "Boycott the reboot!" Kirsten Dunst once said "They have a lot to live up to." I know she isn't talking about Spider-Man 3, now that's for sure. Willem Dafoe said he really has no interest in TASM either.

Sam Raimi is the one who decided to leave, but I'm sure he has some kind of mixed feelings towards the film. Who really knows. He is making a Wizard of Oz prequel with James Franco, so at least there is a small reunion there.

They've said all the right things about looking forward to the reboot(at least Tobey and Kirsten have),but how do you guys think Sam Raimi and co. really feel about the Amazing Spider-man? I really get the feeling that deep inside,Kirsten is done with the series and is glad to have moved on. She never seemed that fond of doing the films anyway,especially parts 2 and 3. I could be wrong,but just my impression. Tobey seemed a little bit saddened about moving on,but I'm sure he won't miss the constant working out and watching his weight that he had to do in order to prepare for the films. As for Sam Raimi,I've never really heard from him about being kicked off the series or anything about the reboot.

I would really be surprised if he really cares one way or another. He is a Hollywood filmmaker. He knows how the business works.

Raimi said in a recent interview that he watched the movie and it's the best spider-man movie ever.

Raimi said in a recent interview that he watched the movie and it's the best spider-man movie ever.

Hmm...that sounds fishy. Though, if true, I'm glad to hear Raimi being a good sport. I don't think we've actually heard anything from Raimi since Spider-Man 4 was canned.

I would really be surprised if he really cares one way or another. He is a Hollywood filmmaker. He knows how the business works.

True. But he's a well known Spider-man fan and the man responsible for first bringing Spidey to the big screen,in a mind blowing hugely successful trilogy I might add. I'm sure he would've wanted to at least do a part 4,if anything to make up for the "failure" of part 3. I'm not sure of who was at fault,but I don't think he liked the idea of being booted off his film series in favor of newer people.

True. But he's a well known Spider-man fan and the man responsible for first bringing Spidey to the big screen,in a mind blowing hugely successful trilogy I might add. I'm sure he would've wanted to at least do a part 4,if anything to make up for the "failure" of part 3. I'm not sure of who was at fault,but I don't think he liked the idea of being booted off his film series in favor of newer people.

I agree but again, he knows this is how the business works. I'm sure like any Spider-Man fan he wanted a great movie and as a professional he is not going to wish the film to fail.

Raimi is a class act and I'm sure he is very happy for Marc Webb. I doubt his feelings go any further than that.

I really wonder if Raimi even considers 3 a failure since it blew the box office apart. I think it made upwards of almost $900 mill, as far as he and Sony are concerned people LOVED SM3, it made more than #2 which is widely regarded as the best superhero movie of all time.

Hopefully this answers some questions for y'all.

What went into your decision to reboot the franchise instead of just doing another sequel? How did you come to that decision?

AVI ARAD: I’ll start?

MATT TOLMACH: I love it when you start.

ARAD:
It was a great thing with Tobey [Maguire] and Sam [Rami], and we made three movies together and we became a family, and we’re still a family, there’s great fondness among us. Sam had a story to tell for the first Spider-Man, so it was one form of origin of Spider-Man, versus origin of Peter Parker, more origin of Spider-Man. Then it was the theme of “Spidey-no-more,” and then the darkside, how do deal with your new power, your responsibility and how do you deal with your powers. And at the end of it, because of this, between us and the studio, we all wanted to stay together and do one more, and what was happening, the one more was not a natural version of where we want to go, especially coming from Sam. Sam is not only the most honorable, terrific man but he’s very honest, honest with himself first, and for us as producers, I mean you’re literally putting it on the table, it also represents, if you don’t have your conviction you have to put your money where your mouth is. But we didn’t have a natural story, and this is Spider-Man, this is the coup de gras, you cannot break this thing ever. And it was a mutual decision, with Sam and Tobey and us, we had this story—

TOLMACH: And Sam, people always ask about this, Sam— We tried really hard, we developed a script. What Avi was saying, I was at the studio at the time, believe me, everybody is singularly incentivized to make that movie, because the franchise had been so profitable and so beloved. Sam said, “My version of this has been told. I told these three,” as Avi said, “three installments of the character were a trilogy for me. And I realize it now, that I’ve completed that, and someone else needs to take this on. ” And was very, very clear about that. When your leader tells you that you listen.

ARAD:
And supportive of the change.

TOLMACH: Wildly supportive, and to this day. And at the same time, we always had lived knowing that eventually we’re going to tell another version of the Spider-Man story, because the comic books have. People talk about it like it was some crazy idea, the truth is, it’s been happening over and over and over again. And so one of the things we always talk about, one of the things Sam came to realize is that the ripest moment in the life of Peter Parker happens when he’s in high school, when he’s just out of it, when he’s young and everything is so extreme, and we wanted to get back to that a little bit. We wanted to get back to it in a way that was completely different.

http://collider.com/avi-arad-matt-tolmach-amazing-spider-man-interview/177828/

Ah, thanks. I was not aware that Raimi left on his own accord. I always assumed the studio pulled he plug on him.Perhaps he was angry with studio interference over the third?

At any rate, I recall TMags seeming really surprised over it.

With the way SM3 ended, I always had the impression that they weren't really expecting to make a fourth movie, even though Sony's original plan was to make 6, which they'll end up doing with the ASM trilogy.

But the tone of the ending just felt like one of closure, and even though I had hoped for a SM4 and was expecting one after hearing news about it, the only thing that caught me by surprise was how quickly they got ASM off the ground after Raimi left.

I thought Raimi seemed fatigued. It would of been a huge payday but these people have many options and I can't imagine them feeling that upset about it.

I don't doubt for a second that Raimi is trolling TASM forums!

:woot:

Raimi is making a 200 million dollar Oz movie with James Franco starring. He's not looking back. But I have little doubt he was kind of pissed when things didn't work with Spidey. He stated repeatedly that he wanted to make a great Spidey film. He just wasn't getting a script and timetable he could work with.

Raimi's anger probably goes back to the cluster**** Sony gave him with Spider-Man 3, but, yah, no reason for Raimi to still be angry or what with this new reboot. He still has the credit of Spider-Man 2 which is still the best Spider-Man film.

the only thing that caught me by surprise was how quickly they got ASM off the ground after Raimi left.

It was off the ground before he even left. Sony dangled SM4 around but were preparing this reboot long before it was canned. I remember hearing that Vanderbilt (sp?) scripts were in the motions looong before the cancellation, and it was already implied back then that the cast and crew would change. I guess Sony would have loved one more Raimi-directed money-maker, but knew they needed a more long-term plan to retain rights to this cash cow.

I've long suspected that one major problem with the SM4 villain selection was that Sony already had plans for Lizard. He was an obvious, natural choice for the film, and one that Raimi liked, but it seemed to be blackballed from the start. The studio were never gonna let Vulture headline a film.

I always wondered if one of the reasons Raimi didn't do Lizard was because he wanted a villain with a face, as opposed to a CGI face. I know GG had a mask (although Dafoe's face was creepy enough), but Ock, Sandman and Harry ddn't have their faces covered for long, and Brock's face showed much more than Venom's face. Not to mention, he always wanted to unmask Peter so that people could relate to him.

So seeing how Lizard's face was done in ASM, I wonder if Raimi wanted to avoid that.

I don't see why everyone is so down on the vulture. I don't see any reason why he couldn't be a main villain.

I don't see why everyone is so down on the vulture. I don't see any reason why he couldn't be a main villain.
I personally don't know much about Vulture, so I don't have much of an interest with him, which is how I also felt about Sandman. But I do think that if they wanted to do a villain pairing, he would've fit best with Sandman.

Yeah, i liked Raimi's ideas for the vulture. While having many flaws in the end i think Spider-Man 3 gave a closure to his trilogy, Spidey is even considered to have 3 main villains instead of one: Dock Ock, Green Goblin and Venom, all 3 were used as the main villains of their films.

No problem with Vulture, the problem is with him knowing Pete is Spidey and taking MJ as hostage :dry:
As well as Vultress :wow:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"