Iron Man 3 How Iron Man 3 can set up for Phase 2

gugumugats

SKIDOOOOOSH!!
Reaction score
Very very speculative. I (nor do most of us) have no idea what's gonna happen throughout Phase 2 or for Avengers 2.

If Marvel decides to go down the Civil War route, does anybody think that Iron Man 3 would set up Tony Stark's character such that he would now cooperate with the government?

I hope they don't go down this route. Going pro-Shield/government/registration totally contradicts MCU Tony Stark's personality.

I say AIM will be important. Maybe have AIM play a role in the Captain America and Ant-Man films. It might lead up to something in the Avengers 2. I find it odd how they'd introduce such a huge concept to just use in one film.

Here's something to consider: if what Whedon has said is true, Marvel does *not* immediately plan to use Thanos in big metaplot manners. That means the plot for Avengers 2 likely doesn't involve him.

I tend to think its highly likely that the villain for Avengers 2 will be the Masters of Evil, giving us our first really big and genuine team vs team conflict ( and lots of dramatic opportunities related to the villainous personalities ). AIM could figure into the setup for that, as could the seeming large number of mook villains in IM3.

Yeah, I also read some other people's ideas on the Ant-Man forums on AIM being Phase 2's villain analogue to SHIELD.

It would be cool to see Phase 2 build up to the MoE

Here's something to consider: if what Whedon has said is true, Marvel does *not* immediately plan to use Thanos in big metaplot manners. That means the plot for Avengers 2 likely doesn't involve him.

I tend to think its highly likely that the villain for Avengers 2 will be the Masters of Evil, giving us our first really big and genuine team vs team conflict ( and lots of dramatic opportunities related to the villainous personalities ). AIM could figure into the setup for that, as could the seeming large number of mook villains in IM3.

What exactly did Whedon say that leads you to believe he said "no Thanos?"

Also, I think people are getting the wrong idea about AIM in the MCU. Unlike the goofy guys in beekeeper helmets from the comics, AIM in IM3 seems to be a tech company, probably the one run by Aldrich Killian that develops the Extremis virus. It's unlikely that such a corporation would wind up being a catch-all enemy for all or most of the other Avengers.

OTOH, I could see AIM being a front for a re-emerging HYDRA terrorist organization, and HYDRA being the "centralized" baddie for Phase II (and beyond).

^THIS. I've been thinking that ever since I realized that most of the Avenger's personal arch enemies were already done (and still alive, like Abomination, Loki and Red Skull) or being planned on making their debut (Mandarin, and lets not forget Radioactive Man - who is an original member of the Masters). That coupled with the fact that Thanos, I believe, needs time to built up as a formidable threat. Granted, Guardians of the Galaxy will be helping to do this, but I'd like to think that this more "personal" sequel would test each hero against their major opponent.

He said throwing in Thanos was something he decided, not Marvel. Thus, it can't have been part of their grand plan. Granted, it might get *incorporated* into such, especially that far out. But I suspect they had at least a broad outline of what they wanted to do with Avengers 2 before Whedon finished Avengers 1. Speculative, yes, but present.

He said throwing in Thanos was something he decided, not Marvel. Thus, it can't have been part of their grand plan. Granted, it might get *incorporated* into such, especially that far out. But I suspect they had at least a broad outline of what they wanted to do with Avengers 2 before Whedon finished Avengers 1. Speculative, yes, but present.

And you seriously think GOTG was on Feige's drawing board before Joss serendipitously dropped the Thanos cameo into place.....? :spockeyebrow:

Look, GOTG wasn't announced until April of THIS year, long after Joss' film was already in the can. So it's safe to say that it was the Thanos cameo that got the gears turning for GOTG. As I've been saying in multiple threads, Thanos is THE reason GOTG is getting made. And it's safe to say that he's the lynchpin in Phase II.

Ya I see AIM playing a big part in phase II as well as maybe Hydra. Even if they do Thanos in GotG and TA2 doesn't mean he will have the IG and just like most of the other MCU baddies I'm sure multiple appearances are in order.

And you seriously think GOTG was on Feige's drawing board before Joss serendipitously dropped the Thanos cameo into place.....? :spockeyebrow:

Look, GOTG wasn't announced until April of THIS year, long after Joss' film was already in the can. So it's safe to say that it was the Thanos cameo that got the gears turning for GOTG. As I've been saying in multiple threads, Thanos is THE reason GOTG is getting made. And it's safe to say that he's the lynchpin in Phase II.

Actually, Guardians of the Galaxy was name dropped by Feige well before then, I think back before Thor and Cap came out. Obviously, a name drop isn't much, but it does indicate which properties Marvel wants to put feelers out for. Similarly, IIRC, the GotG episode of Avengers EMH was announced well before Avengers came out, and was probably decided upon before Thor and Cap came out.

Basically, I think Marvel wanted to push GotG, and cosmic stuff in general, well before Whedon's whim.

Also, I think people are getting the wrong idea about AIM in the MCU. Unlike the goofy guys in beekeeper helmets from the comics, AIM in IM3 seems to be a tech company, probably the one run by Aldrich Killian that develops the Extremis virus. It's unlikely that such a corporation would wind up being a catch-all enemy for all or most of the other Avengers.

OTOH, I could see AIM being a front for a re-emerging HYDRA terrorist organization, and HYDRA being the "centralized" baddie for Phase II (and beyond).
Well for one, when asked by SFX (via DigitalSpy) in early March about how he would make Avengers 2 bigger, he responded,
"By not trying to. By being smaller. More personal, more painful... By being the next thing that should happen to these characters, and not just a rehash of what seemed to work the first time. By having a theme that is completely fresh and organic to itself."
Some have interpreted this to mean that the threat in Avengers 2 would probably not be alien in nature, or at least not be an invasion of some kind. Masters of Evil, Ultron, and even Kang are threats that fans have pointed to in thinking of "smaller, more personal, more painful" threats. I like how people are thinking MoE because it does seem like it's "the next thing that should happen to these characters." If villains saw heroes team up for the first time during the events of The Avengers, it could make sense that a sequel would show a mastermind bring villains together. But who knows? Maybe Thanos could be that mastermind!

Also, when Kevin Feige was asked be Empire (via some place) in late May if Thanos would be in Thor 2, he replied,
"No, future, future. But there will be a major new villain. A major, major new antagonist..."
The way he says "No, future, future," makes me wonder about the tone with which he said it. I can imagine him waving his hand while saying it, indicating that we won't be seeing Thanos as the villain for a long time, and certainly not in just two years (GOTG).

As for AIM, you are one of many people have speculated that the tech company might be a front for Hydra or the Ten Rings or whoever. Marvel seems to know its stuff, and they have been pretty true to the spirit of the comics, even with the few liberties they've taken while adapting their properties to film. It'd be pretty cool if AIM seemed like just a tech company throughout IM3, only revealing near the end that there's more to them that meets the eye--just like how they did that with Coulson in the first IM movie.

Very very speculative. I (nor do most of us) have no idea what's gonna happen throughout Phase 2 or for Avengers 2.

If Marvel decides to go down the Civil War route, does anybody think that Iron Man 3 would set up Tony Stark's character such that he would now cooperate with the government?

I hope they don't go down this route. Going pro-Shield/government/registration totally contradicts MCU Tony Stark's personality.

I'm pretty sure they will save Civil War for a potential Phase 3.

The new phase will certainly be about the MCU heroes' unity against Thanos.

Heroes united.

The, with Phase 3, will get an "Avengers Disassembled" theme so to speak with the Civil War developing. A nice contrast to the "Avengers Assembled" theme of the first phase.

I don't know.

While not physically appearing, Thanos played a big part of The Avengers, being the one to give Loki the army.

I think they planned both simultaneously and one really didn't set up the other.

I do agree though, Thanos and the more Cosmic elements (such as the Gauntlet, then 10 rings possibly) of the Marvel universe will serve as the lynchpins for this phase.

Also, I think Thanos will end up using the villains that currently exist and have been some of the greatest threats to the Avengers individually (such as Abomination, Skull, and of course Loki, if he doesn't kill him) to challenge them yet again as a part of his greater plan.

To me, IR3 doesn't even have to set-up the "phase 2 of MCU" especially we just got the Avengers this year. I think they need to rest the idea in this movie that there's going to be another Avengers team-up in the future. They can save that for Thor 2 or to the 2014 movies. I want the movie to be like a stand-alone. Its related to the other Iron Man movies but what happens in the movie will have no effect or big connection to the other MCU movies (well except for the future Iron Man movies).

To me, IR3 doesn't even have to set-up the "phase 2 of MCU" especially we just got the Avengers this year. I think they need to rest the idea in this movie that there's going to be another Avengers team-up in the future. They can save that for Thor 2 or to the 2014 movies. I want the movie to be like a stand-alone. Its related to the other Iron Man movies but what happens in the movie will have no effect or big connection to the other MCU movies (well except for the future Iron Man movies).

Yeah.

Plus Feige really has made it known that while the phase 2 films will have threads to set up Avengers 2, they all are stand alone.

No heavy Shield presence, except for CA where its necessary really, and no outright appearances by other heroes, except for in after credits scenes, should that film have one.

Oh I'm sure that there will be parts in the movie that will actually relate to other movies in Phase 2. Maybe it won't be obvious things, but stuff you might notice only after all lose threads come together...or the audio commentary. Whatever comes first.

I'm really hoping they don't touch Civil War. It wouldn't fit thematically, and frankly, there are so many better story arcs for inspiration. No need to touch one of the worst in modern memory.

Very much agreed - no Civil War please. It was a stupid story that barely was coherent much less respectful of the MU and its characters, especially Iron Man.

Personally I'd like to see a Masters of Evil equivalent for phase 3.

Yeah.

Plus Feige really has made it known that while the phase 2 films will have threads to set up Avengers 2, they all are stand alone.

No heavy Shield presence, except for CA where its necessary really, and no outright appearances by other heroes, except for in after credits scenes, should that film have one.
I do think the references should be there still, the easter eggs... I really want them to be able to have fun with the fact that they have a shared universe. I'm not saying that they should overdo it, but I do expect at least a reference to the events of The Avengers in each movie, even if it's short and before the real plot gets underway. That said, I do agree with people here that it's more important that each movie reference what happened in the previous movie of their respective franchise (Thor: TDW needs to address the end of Thor, CA:TWS needs to address where Cap is emotionally at the end of CA:TFA, etc.).

Oh, and you can absolutely count on end-credits scenes for these movies.

Civil war wouldn't work in the movie MCU. First off, Tony Stark's personality is completely different. He would be anti-reg if anything. Second, none of the Avengers have secret identities. Third, we already saw them fight each other in Avengers. They need to move on.

Civil War only works with a ton of other heroes. Leave it for the cartoons. They were hinting at it in Avengers EMH, but then that *****tard Jeph Loeb had to go and cancel it.

My guess is that GOTG sets up Thanos for Avengers 2 (with help from a Thor post-credit scene involving the infinity gauntlet). Masters of Evil would also work, but without the cheesey name. It would be best to recycle the villians from the previous films (Red Skull, Abomination, Loki, etc) but I would love to see movie interpretations of classics like Executioner, Enchanteress, etc.

Civil war wouldn't work in the movie MCU. First off, Tony Stark's personality is completely different. He would be anti-reg if anything. Second, none of the Avengers have secret identities. Third, we already saw them fight each other in Avengers. They need to move on.

Civil War only works with a ton of other heroes. Leave it for the cartoons. They were hinting at it in Avengers EMH, but then that *****tard Jeph Loeb had to go and cancel it.

My guess is that GOTG sets up Thanos for Avengers 2 (with help from a Thor post-credit scene involving the infinity gauntlet). Masters of Evil would also work, but without the cheesey name. It would be best to recycle the villians from the previous films (Red Skull, Abomination, Loki, etc) but I would love to see movie interpretations of classics like Executioner, Enchanteress, etc.
How about Thanos shows up in Mandarin's house at the end of Iron Man 3, and Mandy's like, "Who the hell are you?" and Thanos says, "I'm Thanos. I'm here to talk to you about the Masters of Evil Initiative Infinity Imperative." BAHAHAHAHAHA!

How about Thanos shows up in Mandarin's house at the end of Iron Man 3, and Mandy's like, "Who the hell are you?" and Thanos says, "I'm Thanos. I'm here to talk to you about the Masters of Evil Initiative Infinity Imperative." BAHAHAHAHAHA!

Awesome. I smell a new Marvel short film.

I actually really like the idea of Thanos forming the Masters of Evil. I would say have it be in a behind-the-scenes capacity with him manipulating Baron Zemo who'll hopefully be the villain in CA:TWS.

Marvel has set themselves up in a way DC can only dream of doing.

3 Iron man movies

3 Thor movies

3 Captain America movies

3 Hulk movies (potentially)

3 Ant Man movies (potentially)

3 Guardians of The Galaxy movies (potentially)

... And last but certainly not least... 3 Avengers movies! (definitely)

As far as movies for the last decade and upcoming decade... Marvel > DC

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"