Iron Man 3 This movie dismantles the Iron Man character... why?

I loved Iron Man 3, and far from dismantling Iron Man, I thought it made a great statement about the character. They had loads of remote-controlled suits flying around to emphasize that they aren't Iron Man. They put Pepper, Killian, Rhodey, Savin, even the President in Iron Man armor, all to emphasize that they aren't Iron Man. It's Tony Stark that makes Iron Man, not the armor, and so a film that focused on Tony over his armor was a great way of crafting that particular point.

Except even Tony himself wasn't iron man in the suit this time. If we had seen Tony himself was the synthesis of man and machine that made Iron man great, but we didn't.

I loved Iron Man 3, and far from dismantling Iron Man, I thought it made a great statement about the character. They had loads of remote-controlled suits flying around to emphasize that they aren't Iron Man. They put Pepper, Killian, Rhodey, Savin, even the President in Iron Man armor, all to emphasize that they aren't Iron Man. It's Tony Stark that makes Iron Man, not the armor, and so a film that focused on Tony over his armor was a great way of crafting that particular point.

wow, i never really noticed that! great pick up dude :)

Except even Tony himself wasn't iron man in the suit this time. If we had seen Tony himself was the synthesis of man and machine that made Iron man great, but we didn't.

although thats what i liked about the movie. seeing Tony without the suit. The scene where he's going through the hardware store and then building his own weapons was really cool and showed you his skills kind of like at the star of iron man 3. going on from that i absoulotley loved the scene when he sneaks into the mansion because it felt like an old spy film with the cool music and fast paced scenes :)

They put Pepper, Killian, Rhodey, Savin, even the President in Iron Man armor, all to emphasize that they aren't Iron Man.

And that no matter how tall or short, or how skinny or built you are, or how narrow or broad your shoulders and waist are, you'll fit in an Iron Man suit as though it were custom-made for you.

And then you find out that Extremis enables you with skills like Ong Bak's Tony Jaa so that you may whomp the film's most dangerous villain.

Seriously, the movie is so riddled with errors, it really is more of a comedy than a superhero movie.

And that no matter how tall or short, or how skinny or built you are, or how narrow or broad your shoulders and waist are, you'll fit in an Iron Man suit as though it were custom-made for you.

And then you find out that Extremis enables you with skills like Ong Bak's Tony Jaa so that you may whomp the film's most dangerous villain.

Seriously, the movie is so riddled with errors, it really is more of a comedy than a superhero movie.

perhaps that was the idea

I thought it was good in showing how he becomes so independent on the suit to keep him safe and protected, thinking that he can't do anything otherwise. And then you see him discover that actually he is Iron Man himself, not the suit. He is what makes Iron Man, the essence. And he's no longer relying on the suit alone to keep him safe. He's able to move on, be his own man.

That part kind of irks me...yeah he is Iron Man without the suit because it's his ingenuity that brought Iron Man to life, but I thought his sudden ninja skills that allowed him to drop henchmen came out of left field. I found that both silly and distracting.

"Tony Stark IS...Ninja Man"

But I do like the concept of the movie as a whole, I just wish Favreau had directed it, because I think where they bungled everything was in the execution. You can make anything work if it's done well.

That part kind of irks me...yeah he is Iron Man without the suit because it's his ingenuity that brought Iron Man to life, but I thought his sudden ninja skills that allowed him to drop henchmen came out of left field. I found that both silly and distracting.

"Tony Stark IS...Ninja Man"

More like Tony Stark became Bruce Wayne.

But I do like the concept of the movie as a whole, I just wish Favreau had directed it, because I think where they bungled everything was in the execution. You can make anything work if it's done well.

Giving the wheel to Shane Black was a colossal mistake, IMO.

Also, remember that nifty weapon Iron Man used to slice down all the drones in one move in the finale of IM2? Did we get to see that in IM3?

although thats what i liked about the movie. seeing Tony without the suit. The scene where he's going through the hardware store and then building his own weapons was really cool and showed you his skills kind of like at the star of iron man 3. going on from that i absoulotley loved the scene when he sneaks into the mansion because it felt like an old spy film with the cool music and fast paced scenes :)

If I want to see a spy movie, I'll see Bond or something. I expect Iron Man action in my Iron man movie. Even the finale just fell flat because he never got the Iron Man moment.

If I want to see a spy movie, I'll see Bond or something. I expect Iron Man action in my Iron man movie. Even the finale just fell flat because he never got the Iron Man moment.

Hello, Steamteck. :)

I agree with you. A superhero movie where the superhero is nowhere to be seen sounds a bad idea to me.

Cheers.

Why? (to the main question)

I think there is also a different look on this. They did that, because nowadays - see ASM - you want to show the ACTOR, and not the suit!
RDJ became the big star for Marvel - therefore they did a RDJ movie, and not a Iron Man movie ;)
Why does Garfield always takes his mask off in the ASM movies? It is the same thing...

RDJ sells, not Iron Man - therefore we see him doing the job! Quite simple...
Making money is the only reason here - almost...

The other story to this is Age of Ultron. Iron Man 3 sets up the new Avenger movie, and the story to Ultron. "Remote Control"!

But it was surley not necessary to do it over and over again during the movie!
But, as bad as the final battle was, it was partly right to let the suits do the job - because that leads to Age of Ultron!
(but it was a mess what they did here with Pepper saving the day, and with War Machine)

I'm thinking it has more to do with advancing the entire MCU Avengers storyline into AoU. Tony recently made a bunch of suits and now has advanced his design to the point where he can control this powerful tech remotely. What's the next natural progression of his technology? Some sort of design that involves AI or something along those lines where Stark no longer has to be in total control of his suits.
When it's all said and done, Tony realizes that "with great power, comes great responsibility" and should have full control of his suits at all times. He decides to dump the remote control and supplemental AI.

I'm just shooting from the hip here with this theory......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"