How should each JLA member be handled?

I think most of the league will be handled pretty much how they are in the comcs save John stewart. I want to see them be faithful to him and not turn him into the sterotypical black guy, With him saying Dayum and other slang or basically Tyrese(he'll end up with the role probably) playing the same chracters he's been in all his other films. I don't want to see Jojo from Baby Boy with a power ring.

*upon seeing the aliens descend upon Earth*

"I'm telling you, Batman, you ain't never seen...maaaaannn, if you seen this ****!"

One, I was being facetious. Get off the liberal pseudo intellect elite high horse and take a joke. And two, you get that label because you've decide in your limited life experience and studies that you know what's best for the world.
Oh, I didn't know you were being facetious (it's hard to tell sometimes on the computer, you know?), I'm sorry.

By the way, it's easy to put together a string of words like "liberal pseudo intellect elite high horse," but Scandinavia does have the most progressive policies in the world. This board isn't the place to get into it, but the policies of a few of those countries are quite remarkable. And when I say "progressive" it just means equality and acceptance. Scandinavia embraces equality and acceptance of all people more than any other place in the world and, as all of us are clearly fans of superheroes, we can all agree that traits like treating people as equals and greeting people with acceptance are positive traits. That's not just me deciding what's best for the world in my "limited life experience and studies," that's me having humanity. That's the core of all superheroes: doing what's right, being selfless and showing humanity in the face of greed and corruption and Scandinavia embodies those qualities more than anywhere else in the world.

...if the United States does adopt the progressive policies of say Sweden I hope you enjoy your required military service. Iraq is a lovely place.
First, it's not specifically military service, it's just a mandatory public service of some kind. Second, I would certainly take the trade of mandatory public service for knowing that my government, my leaders, and my neighbors are morally upstanding people who create a place of equality rather than one of prejudice, pain, and fear.

Oh, I didn't know you were being facetious (it's hard to tell sometimes on the computer, you know?), I'm sorry.

By the way, it's easy to put together a string of words like "liberal pseudo intellect elite high horse," but Scandinavia does have the most progressive policies in the world. This board isn't the place to get into it, but the policies of a few of those countries are quite remarkable. And when I say "progressive" it just means equality and acceptance. Scandinavia embraces equality and acceptance of all people more than any other place in the world and, as all of us are clearly fans of superheroes, we can all agree that traits like treating people as equals and greeting people with acceptance are positive traits. That's not just me deciding what's best for the world in my "limited life experience and studies," that's me having humanity. That's the core of all superheroes: doing what's right, being selfless and showing humanity in the face of greed and corruption and Scandinavia embodies those qualities more than anywhere else in the world.

First, it's not specifically military service, it's just a mandatory public service of some kind. Second, I would certainly take the trade of mandatory public service for knowing that my government, my leaders, and my neighbors are morally upstanding people who create a place of equality rather than one of prejudice, pain, and fear.

You're alright in my book for responding calmly and thoughtfully when I was clearly trying to be a jerk! :) Good show!

GREEN LANTERN a.k.a. John Stewart, architect. Designed the Hall of Justice. His emerald power ring shoots beams of energy.

They better not be doing what they did in early JL episodes, giving GL nothing but beams and shields. But i guess that's what you get when you use the unimaginative John Stewart.

I'm glad they won't be using Nolan's Batman in this movie. That version of Batman still stays in the shadows, and works at night it seems. I've always thought the JL version of Batman was more open to being out during the day, and not just at night.

You're alright in my book for responding calmly and thoughtfully when I was clearly trying to be a jerk! :) Good show!
Hey, thanks. The same back to you because I thought that you would keep being a jerk ;):) so that's cool.

Don't get me wrong, I love America (I mean, I live here). I'm just very passionate about improving the quality of life for all people in this country because, for a land that calls itself "the greatest country in the world" we definitely need to create a better example for other countries to follow. We can't just say that we're the greatest country, we have to achieve it. Seeing the flaws in the country and passionately striving to improve them is true patriotism.

They better not be doing what they did in early JL episodes, giving GL nothing but beams and shields. But i guess that's what you get when you use the unimaginative John Stewart.

They need to use him for this movie. The budget will already be sky high, so no extra outrageous ring creatures are needed.

How should each JLA member be used in the film? Given that this will be the introduction for many of the characters in the film to the movieverse, which themes should be explored with each character, and where should their storyarcs go. Some quick thoughts:

SUPERMAN
Superman is the leader of the JLA, but I'd like to see a number of things explored with his character. One, he's a bit of a reluctant leader, two, I'd like to see his need to handle everything on his own come into play. I'd also like to see more than just a relationship between he and Batman. I want to see how much these two care about each other despite their differences. And Superman can be played as a mentor, too, which is always nice to see.

BATMAN
The reluctant leaguer/mentor. He may be involved with the league, but he still sets himself apart. His paranoia is obviously going to be explored as is his need to be ten steps ahead of everyone else. Some mentorship aspects could be utilized.

WONDER WOMAN
Wonder Woman's an ambassador, but she's also a very proud warrior. I'd love to see her struggle with this dichotomy of her character. She's going to want to do whatever she has to in order to ensure peace for mankind. And if she doesn't butt heads with the other powerhouses of the JLA when it comes to making big decisions, I think there'll be a missed opportunity.

J'ONN J'ONNZ
J'onn J'onn is an alien, but he's also the most compassionate of the leaugers. I want to see J'onn trying to understand humanity and his fellow heroes, and fostering hope when things are dark through his actions. The fire thing is obvious, and needs to be explored, as well as his attempts to overcome it. Less obvious is the way J'onn's powers affect him, and the burden they place on him, both in deciding not to use them to their full extent, and using them to feel exactly what's going on at times.

GREEN LANTERN
Given that this is John Stewart, I'm not sure what there to explore that wo uldn't feel somewhat redundant with J'onn's arc. Perhaps the nature of power? Depends on if we get a young or a veteran John Stewart.

THE FLASH
He has got to be more than just a wisecracking speedster. I'd love to see Flash's competitive nature brought to the screen, and have him pushing himself to equal his fellow leaguers. He's often called the heart and soul of the JLA. I don't think that means he needs to be cracking wise.

AQUAMAN
Aquaman tends to have a problem with the bigotry and various other elements of the surface. Still, he should be portrayed as fairly loyal to the JLA when he's not dealing with his kingdom's issues.

Great post, couldn't agree more. Especially about Flash. It would be really great to see him be more than a one-dimensional smart-ass. I'd even like to see Flash coming through and saving the day in League in the end.

I'd definitely like to see Aquaman and Batman be reluctant members of the League, and even see Arthur's royal duties in Atlantis included.

----

Last edited:

I HATE that. I mean, "you're a GL, John, with one of the most powerful weapons in the universe, and what do you use it for? to create little energy beams and shields? How unimaginative. You lack some serious vision." :woot: Seriously, I can't believe how uninteresting JLU made GL when it comes to what he can do with his power ring.

lucid said:
Hey, your signature is funny, Sun_Down. What does "The Heather" mean?

I always wanted to know that. Sounds fun.

----

Last edited:
Oh, so it's pronounced "heether." Yeah, that one's definitely silly, especially since "heather" is already a word, it's confusing. Maybe "Jokeledger" would be better... or "Ledgoker." "Lejoker"? Haha.

LOL, maybe I ought to add a hyphen for phonetics' sake.

Superman: I'd cast someone in their fifties and give him gray/white hair. I'd make his image in the world of the movie that of a fossil from another era-- nolonger appreciated. He would be drained of all his remaining power fighting Darkseid on the dark side of the Earth (after fighting Doomsday) and would then be frozen as Darkseid's (open air) throne/chariot/ship (of Metron) climbed higher into the atmosphere of Earth and into space. He would return like Han Solo in the film after.

Batman: I'd cast someone in their fourties. He wouldn't like Superman-- he'd call him a boyscout and takes stabs at his costume.

WonderWoman: In her 30's-- she would be the only character whose origin is shown in the film (during the opening). Her powers would come from alien artifacts she finds in a temple in Peru.

Flash: In his late 20's-- his powers would be shown to come from his suit; also alien in origin, with gold machinery all the way up his legs. He would die in the last quarter of the film.

Captain Marvel: Captain Marvel should be in his 30's and like with WonderWoman and Flash, I would attribute his powers to alien technology (his found in Egypt).

Superman: I'd cast someone in their fifties and give him gray/white hair. I'd make his image in the world of the movie that of a fossil from another era-- nolonger appreciated. He would be drained of all his remaining power fighting Darkseid on the dark side of the Earth (after fighting Doomsday) and would then be frozen as Darkseid's (open air) throne/chariot/ship (of Metron) climbed higher into the atmosphere of Earth and into space. He would return like Han Solo in the film after.

Batman: I'd cast someone in their fourties. He wouldn't like Superman-- he'd call him a boyscout and takes stabs at his costume.

WonderWoman: In her 30's-- she would be the only character whose origin is shown in the film (during the opening). Her powers would come from alien artifacts she finds in a temple in Peru.

Flash: In his late 20's-- his powers would be shown to come from his suit; also alien in origin, with gold machinery all the way up his legs. He would die in the last quarter of the film.

Captain Marvel: Captain Marvel should be in his 30's and like with WonderWoman and Flash, I would attribute his powers to alien technology (his found in Egypt).

What the hell? Why on earth would you butcher everyones origins like that? That's honestly the worst suggestion I've ever heard.

Let me guess, you'd have the bat that inspired Bruce Wayne's costume to be an alien bat!!!

Why are people so hellbent on not seeing Batman in a JLA movie, as if it somehow heightens his mystique? It's not like they're putting the JLA in Nolan's Batman franchise. Batman is working with the JLA in a completely seperate one.

And yes, Green Arrow could probably fill the everyman role, but he couldn't fill Batman's role. Batman's a lot more than "A guy with no powers".

I understand everyone's points - all are valid, but my point is this - we're all comic book fans... we understand that a JLA film would be seperate from Nolan's Batman, Superman Returns and Smallville, but the average cinema going punter doesn't.
As an example, i've had to explain to a couple of people that Batman Begins has nothing to do with the last four films in the franchise, that it is a complete restart! That's how non-comic book fans are - if they see a JLA film with Batman and Superman in it, they'll be thinking "hang on, where's Bale and Routh? Why's Batman doing that, he didn't do that in Batman Begins!" etc, etc!

Great post, couldn't agree more. Especially about Flash. It would be really great to see him be more than a one-dimensional smart-ass. I'd even like to see Flash coming through and saving the day in League in the end.

I don't know that Flash needs to save the day, but he needs to be more than just comic relief.

I understand everyone's points - all are valid, but my point is this - we're all comic book fans... we understand that a JLA film would be seperate from Nolan's Batman, Superman Returns and Smallville, but the average cinema going punter doesn't.

The average cinema going punter doesn't care. And if they do, then why the hell couldn't they make a simple leap of logic?

"Oh, these heroes I am familar with are teaming up to fight evil. Cool."

How difficult a concept is that? Some of you are running around like chickens with your heads cut off assuming that people will be struggling to reconcile the differences between BATMAN BEGINS and JUSTICE LEAGUE! People, most moviegoers don't even remember key details of movies after they see them. They're not going to waste time obsessing over how things don't add up.

As an example, i've had to explain to a couple of people that Batman Begins has nothing to do with the last four films in the franchise, that it is a complete restart! That's how non-comic book fans are

Ignorant?

You know, BATMAN BEGINS was a new film, and a lot of people had to have explained to them that it was a new take on Batman. And then, after having it explained to them, a lot of people GOT it and didn't go through life confused about it.

if they see a JLA film with Batman and Superman in it, they'll be thinking "hang on, where's Bale and Routh? Why's Batman doing that, he didn't do that in Batman Begins!" etc, etc!

I have an idea. First, you explain that WB has been trying to make solo superhero movies for years, and hasn't been able to, and that JLA represents a chance to use classic DC Comics characters, and that Batman is generally accepted to be part of the JLA.

Next, you should sit your friends down and calmly explain to them that Batman, like James Bond or Zorro, or any other adapted character, is a character who has been around for many decades, that there have been many incarnations of him over the years, and that not all Batman stories take place during YEAR ONE or involve Christian Bale. You might also explain that later in his career, as in the comics, Batman tends to fight alongside the Justice League.

If they can't figure it out and reconcile their "confusion" after that, I'd say they're pretty much hopeless.

Good God, Batman has been a part of the JLA for years, and I don't see ANYONE confused over the fact that after fighting crime with the JLA, he goes back to fight crime in Gotham City. Anyone. I don't know anyone with a shred of intelligence who doesn't get instantly that MANY DIFFERENT STORIES CAN BE TOLD ABOUT BATMAN.

Some of you are just absolutely REACHING for reasons not to like this project.

It'll be very interesting to see how they handle Batman in particular. In my view, you've never really seen Batman until you see him with the JL.
My take would have Batman as more of a reluctant leader. He's used to just doing everything himself so at first he'd feel out of place around so many super powered individuals. He would always rather be in Gotham and wouldn't be hiding that. I envision him for one, standing in all the darkest areas of where ever they meet. Flash would be the most bothered by this, and I think the situation would be open for some comedy. Also, I see Batman as the ultimate multi-tasker. He'd constantly be accessing his computer at the cave through some remote device. Working open cases, communicating with Alfred for Bruce Wayne, and maybe even taking notes to incorporate into his Brother Eye files. The effect being, Batman would never seem at all engaged in any conversation taking place by the team. Only when someone addresses him specifically would you realize that he is in fact paying attention and knows exactly what's going on. Batman would be come a leader figure gradually. Initially, most of his guidance would come from his inability to watch people do things incorrectly. I think over time, Batman would come to enjoy the control over so many super powered people. Just some thoughts.

Also take into account that he secretly has ways to disable most of them should they ever go nuts or get too power hungry, which would cause a slight rift between him and some of the other League.

*upon seeing the aliens descend upon Earth*

"I'm telling you, Batman, you ain't never seen...maaaaannn, if you seen this ****!"

I was thinking he would say

"I'm John Stewart, Your Honor. I've only been with the company for a couple of weeks, but these things are real. Since I joined these men, I've seen s*** that'll turn you white."

hopefully the writers will consult some of the recent Justice League writers, like Morrison, Timm, McDuffie, Meltzer, etc.

It'll be very interesting to see how they handle Batman in particular. In my view, you've never really seen Batman until you see him with the JL.

Agreed. I believe he reaches new levels of potential as a character when he's with the Justice League.

I don't see Batman as outspoken about his lone status, though. He wouldn't be whining about things in Gotham, he'd just be feeling it. He wouldn't say "I won't join the league because I'm a loner", he'd show it through his actions. And he'd never let on something bothered him so deeply. He'd just act to change it.

My JUSTICE LEAGUE sequel script presents Batman as having to take a leadership role, where before he basically aided the league. It's interesting to see the other heroes and their reactions to him assuming command.

Agreed. I believe he reaches new levels of potential as a character when he's with the Justice League.

I don't see Batman as outspoken about his lone status, though. He wouldn't be whining about things in Gotham, he'd just be feeling it. He wouldn't say "I won't join the league because I'm a loner", he'd show it through his actions. And he'd never let on something bothered him so deeply. He'd just act to change it.

My JUSTICE LEAGUE sequel script presents Batman as having to take a leadership role, where before he basically aided the league. It's interesting to see the other heroes and their reactions to him assuming command.

I'll have to check out your script. I didn't really see him as being whiny either. I was only saying, he wouldn't try to disguise any disinterest and he would always sort of have one foot in Gotham. I'm also curious to see how they deal with the logistics of him meeting with the team. He might end up "phoning in" at certain points rather than actually seeing them in person. How far will he have to travel to meet with them and how will he get there? I don't see them doing the whole teleporting thing like in JLU. I would have Batman show some resentment for having to go to much more trouble than the rest of the team (save for maybe Aquaman) just to get to the Hall of Justice or whatever. He would make it clear they'd better not be wasting his time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"