How should the MCU handle FF villains?

MasterCat

Civilian
Reaction score
Perhaps because it was the first comic book Jack Kirby did with Stan Lee, The Fantastic Four saw a burst of creativity with antagonists unsurpassed at Marvel except by Spider-Man. Given the constraints of the MCU, what should they do with...

Doctor Doom
Super-Skrull
The Mole Man
The Puppet Master
Kang (introduced as Rama-Tut, born Nathaniel Richards)
Molecule Man
Galactus
Annihilus
... and others?

Kang can of course get handed off to an Avengers sequel, but when should they go back to the time travel well?
Doom can make his first appearance in a Doctor Strange or Black Panther sequel.
I'm also thinking that the coming of Galactus should be an Avengers/Fantastic 4 film. It doesn't make sense for the Avengers to sit out an alien wanting to eat Earth, when they've been established in all three of their films as the first responders to alien invaders and extinction events. Giving the F4 co-billing in an Avengers movie should also give their sequels a big bump.

Would this be a good plan?
Dr Strange 3 or BP3: Doom
Fantastic 4: abduction by Skrulls leading to engineering the Super-Skrull, building toward Secret Invasion? OR Molecule Man, building toward Secret Wars?
Avengers/Fantastic 4: Galactus
Fantastic 4-2: Doom?
Secret Wars
Fantastic 4-3: The Thing finds a girlfriend, which makes the Puppet Master almost family...

That would leave one film on a standard Marvel contract. Wrap up with Mole Man for a kaiju movie? Make the Negative Zone part of the Ant-family's Quantum Realm and have them be the ones who bump into Annihilus?

Out of all the villains only two come to mind on how I think the MCU should handle them.

Doctor Doom — He’s the king of Latveria who rules with an iron fist. Unlike the Fox versions he’d have nothing to do with the incident that gives the Four their powers at all. Much like how the MCU did away with the idea that Norman Osborn created the spider that gave Peter Parker his powers. You don’t have to link your heroes with your villains all the time otherwise you mostly end up making the universe feel small. Save him for the sequel instead of putting him in the first film(You can hint at him here and there though). Have a part of his origin with him experiencing the accident that scars his face with Reed being present be the cold open for the second MCU FF film, so you can contextualize Reed’s personal ties with Victor without the need to arbitrarily tie the character to The Four’s origin story.

Moleman — I’d imagine he should be done in a similar fashion to how Danny Devito’s Penquin was done in Batman Returns which is as this grotesque looking outcast that feels a sense of betrayal and abandonment at the society who scorned him. He’s the Quasmado of the series where he is this hideous, monstrous looking being but the audience should be able to feel some empathy for him despite his vengeful motivations. Ben Grimm, having being turned into freakish rock monster, would be able to relate to the Moleman on some level and might be almost tempted to join him until Ben relents — realizing he still has something Moleman doesn’t — a family in the Fantastic Four that accepts him despite his appearance.

Last edited:
I think the approach is definitely don’t mainstream them as in set them in present day New York etc, make them kooky men on black/Rick and morty level weird and embrace that.

I agree galactus should be an avengers style threat, probably even making an ominous appearance in guardians of the galaxy to start things rolling. And I still think doom is too big to set up the ff and himself. Give him a solo

I think its highly likely Doom will make his debut in another film apart from the FF. Could be BP2 or a new property. I can't wait to see how Marvel handles him once they get their hands on him.

I think its highly likely Doom will make his debut in another film apart from the FF. Could be BP2 or a new property. I can't wait to see how Marvel handles him once they get their hands on him.

Bleh, a new property sounds terrible. He's known to fight Black Panther and to work with Doctor Strange. The only new thing I can see working is an origin movie.

Bleh, a new property sounds terrible. He's known to fight Black Panther and to work with Doctor Strange. The only new thing I can see working is an origin movie.

An origin film would be a new property. But the point I was really trying to make was that his debut would probably be apart from the FF in the earliest stages. Since they will now have the flexibility to do more with the character like never before.

Moleman — I’d imagine he should be done in a similar fashion to how Danny Devito’s Penquin was done in Batman Returns which is as this grotesque looking outcast that feels a sense of betrayal and abandonment at the society who scorned him.

Interesting - first time I saw Batman Returns at the cinema DeVito's Penguin reminded me of Moleman!

The character I'm most excited at the prospect of Marvel getting their hands on is Doctor Doom. He's all-encompassing: from an overarching villain for an entire phase of MCU films, to a recurring villain in various solo films. This guy has gone toe-to-toe with the Fantastic Four, the Avengers, the X-Men, Iron Man, Doctor Strange, Black Panther, Spider-Man. He has as much potential as a character as any of their main players.

I think how Marvel should handle the villains sort of depends on how the FF are introduced. Just to add to this from a separate discussion I will quote the following from http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?p=36653775&highlight=#post36653775

1) Quantum Realm Equating to Negative Zone (a segue from the Ant-Man franchise):
I think the film starring Marvel's first family should have a 1960's sci-fi vibe maybe even initially taking place in the 1960's (a younger Hank and Janet could make brief cameo).

Numerous articles have compared the microverse introduced in Antman to the negative zone. Perhaps becoming lost in here may result in entering another dimension entirely if when trying to exit back out of the microverse in some particular fashion?

Anyway, I think seguing off of the Antman franchise would be a good possibility. Antman 3 could center around Antman and Wasp along with Hank and Janet re-entering the microverse to escape whatever fate awaits them end of Avengers 4. From there, they end up entering the Negative Zone Hank remembers hearing a certain Reed Richards write a paper on back in the 1960's (which of course could showcase a number of flashback scenes with younger Hank and Janet).

For the FF movie (anticipation built up somewhat from Antman 3), I like the notion of the Fantastic Four as being a bit time-displaced perhaps meeting up with an older Hank and Janet who not seen since their younger years (this meeting could perhaps be an openning to the FF movie continuing off of a post-credits scene of Antman 3). The movie could open up with this meeting as Fantastic Four guided out of stasis-like imprisonment within the Negative Zone. I think a retro futuristic look would suit them as introduce themselves to the modern world around them.

...I think more people will want to see it if the characters have a certain nostalgic yet fresh feel to them when introduced.
I think building off of something already established is best way to gain interest from a general audience...

I think reactions to present day/learning to cope and find a purpose more interesting than scenes dealing with them learning to use their powers again. Reed could just be familiar with an alien type of technology yet still surprised and fascinated by internet/smart phones (an outside perspective looking at modern day society yet of course having knowledge of interdimensional physics and some types of alien tech.).

Edit: My thoughts quoted from earlier SHH thread above got after reading numerous articles around 2015 positing whether the quantum realm would replace the negative zone.

Today, I just found a 2018 report mentioning Ant Man director Peyton Reed had notions for a Fantastic Four film about 2 decades ago https://www.cinemablend.com/news/2440199/could-peyton-reeds-fantastic-four-be-made-in-the-mcu. This perhaps makes it more likely the FF franchise will segue off the Ant Man one for a Marvel Studio's produced FF film
(or not of course too).

2) Lost In Space separate ideas from different people:
Marvel could bring the Fantastic Four crashing back to Earth after revealing that they've either been lost in space or stuck in a wormhole and what seemed like months for them has been decades for the rest of us. Basically they are from the 1960s so half of their film would be a period piece taking place during the 1960s during the space race of NASA. SHIELD would still be a factor. Cameos from Peggy Carter and Howard Stark among others. That would leave the team like a fish out of water, thereby giving the franchise a different feel but there's one major problem with this; Reed Richards may be a genius but his 60s era inventions would look laughable compared to today's and he'd no longer seem that smart.

Johnny being a 60s teenager would have to adjust to being a young man in the 2010s.

In the 80s/90s, the FF travel into space get sucked into the wormhole due to sabotage by Victor Von Doom. Fight Annihilus, then Galactus destroys the planet they are on, not before they escape to present time Earth.

...the lost in space thing would be kind of interesting but so many MCU movies have gone out WAY beyond the solar system, hard to make this seem fresh and new unless of course build off of other movies to small degree. I suppose notion presented in Gaurdians 2 of earth beings having a connection to the light Ego needed could be expanded upon maybe with the FF getting their powers in present day perhaps through encounter with energy radiating off of celestial beings perhaps in Eternals movie (sort of matches how done in the comics just energy source different if works to build off of something introduced in another movie)...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"