How should the MCM handle Namor?

Arishem

Judgy
Reaction score
The Marvel Cinematic Multiverse, that is. I don't know much about the character but I'm learning somewhat.

Namor stories I've read so far, and all just this weekend. Isn't being stuck at home great?

Marvel Comics #1 (1939)
Marvel Mystery Comics #s 8, 9, and the first page of #10 (1940), #s 27 and 28 (1942)
Fantastic Four #4 (1962)
Uncanny X-Men #6 (1964)
Fantastic Four #33 (1964)
Tales of Suspense #s 79 and 80 (1966)
Tales to Astonish #82 (1966)
Captain America #100 (1968)
Fantastic Four #s 102, 103, and 104 (1970)
Marvel Two-in-One #2 (1974)
Captain America #181 (1975)
Giant-Size Super Villain Team-Up #s 1 and 2 (1975)
Incredible Hulk #200 (1976)
Marvel Two-in-One #28 (1977)
Super-Villain Team-Up #13 (1977)
Fantastic Four #195 (1978)
Defenders #93 (1981)
Alpha Flight #3 (1983)
Defenders #125 (1983)
Fantastic Four #260 (1983)
Alpha Flight #4 (1983)
Avengers #262 (1985) and #s 263, 266, 267, 268, 270, and 272 (1986)

Am about to start reading the 1988-89 12-issue series Saga of the Sub-Mariner by Roy & Dann Thomas & Rich Buckler. I wanna read as much as I need to to get a real handle on the character, his history, and his supporting characters and enemies. So what are your recommendations, people? And how do ya think the MCM should handle him? Should he be a hero, a villain, an anti-hero? Should he be introduced in his own movie, someone else's, should he ever get his own movie? Casting suggestions? Let's talk Namor.

I think Namor should be in the wheelhouse of how they've handled M'baku.

He is imposing, with his own POV that may be often at odds with the story's main protagonist, and may act as a direct threat even but by the end of the film he has been shown to be an Anti-Hero type at worst, though I would like it if he was a super hero community ally that has his own ideas about how to get things done and will when necessary go to lengths the average MCU crime fighter would never even consider because they wouldn't be as four quadrant friendly as what say Cap or Falcon would come up with to "save the day".

An alternative though...

What if Namor shows up as part of Dr. Doom's inner circle or a close ally of his, as the comics history has had over the years? We see him as an actual friend to Doom, something he's in short supply of, which applies to both men really. Namor is stalwart in his support of Doom... And then the good Doc does something Namor can't condone and this places him against Doom but not immediately on the side of the Avengers or the FF.

What if Namor shows up as part of Dr. Doom's inner circle or a close ally of his, as the comics history has had over the years? We see him as an actual friend to Doom, something he's in short supply of, which applies to both men really. Namor is stalwart in his support of Doom... And then the good Doc does something Namor can't condone and this places him against Doom but not immediately on the side of the Avengers or the FF.

I like this idea. Keep his motivations vague and make him as self-serving as he was in the books. This will help distinguish him from DC's Aquaman as well in the minds of the general public.

Namor should be arrogant and indifferent to the plight of the surface-dwellers. His interests should only align with the rest of the MCU when his precious Atlantis is threatened by a common enemy...

Let him vacillate between friend or foe as the situation dictates, just as he was always portrayed in the comics.

I've probably most enjoyed Namor as a member of the Extinction team in Gillen's Uncanny X Men and the Illuminati in Hickman's New Avengers. He's an extremely powerful and valuable member of both squads who is willing to make the hard choices - ie kill lots and lots of people - to achieve the team's goal. But he's also a massive a**hole that derives great pleasure from challenging his teammates and pushing the buttons of the likes of Scott Summers and T'Challa on the regular. And if an opportunity presents itself he is DEFINITELY going to have sex with your woman.

How should they handle Namor? With hot sauce and grits!!!

laughing-laughing-hysterically.gif

Last edited:
I read somewhere that he will be Black Panther 2 next villain and that plot could be based in Doom Wars
latest

Now that Tiamut caused a disaster it wouldn´t be surprised if he reacts toward that. But I read somewhere that his intervention would be because humans discovered vibranium in Atlantean territories.

Last edited:
I read somewhere that he will be Black Panther 2 next villain and that plot could be based in Doom Wars
latest

Now that Tiamut caused a disaster it wouldn´t be surprised if he reacts toward that. But I read somewhere that his intervention would be because humans discovered vibranium in Atlantean territories.
I don't know about those rumors. Wakanda forever is already filming and we have heard absolutely nothing about Doom or Namor casting. I really think it will be some power grab in Wakanda between tribes.

Give him speedos or I’m nicking a tank and trying to single handedly take over the world

Give him speedos or I’m nicking a tank and trying to single handedly take over the world
Just speedos? Do you know how many pawno parodies there will if that is his only costume? I say something similar to his black costume in the comics.

Just speedos? Do you know how many pawno parodies there will if that is his only costume? I say something similar to his black costume in the comics.

The black costume would be cool...

The trick here will be distinguishing Namor from Aquaman, who has already very successfully been established within the DCU...

I know very little about Aquaman from the comics (actually, I know zip about Aquaman from the comics) but personality wise, it shouldn't be hard to differentiate the two characters in the film medium.

Namor should be stoic and serious, not like the broey smartass from the DC films...

I know about Aquaman because he was the butt of jokes on Family Guy. Namor can be done right if they follow the character out of the comics, which isn't hard. I hope he keeps his super strength and flight............just don't know about him going against a female Black Panther.

The black costume would be cool...

The trick here will be distinguishing Namor from Aquaman, who has already very successfully been established within the DCU...

I know very little about Aquaman from the comics (actually, I know zip about Aquaman from the comics) but personality wise, it shouldn't be hard to differentiate the two characters in the film medium.

Namor should be stoic and serious, not like the broey smartass from the DC films...

Eh, stoic, no, but Namor definitely is distinct from Aquaman. I'd say the most important personality distinction is that Namor is a borderline villain. He's ruthless and domineering, views himself as the rightful ruler of his domain, and holds the surface world in at least a little bit of contempt when not outright declaring war on it. What keeps him only *borderline* villain is that, at the same time, he's not a heartless monster either- he holds himself sincerely to care for his people, he is perfectly able to make friends and deal with people he respects rationally, and when he does declare war on the surface world, its *usually* in a reasonably upright manner ( "death to surfacers" is a battlecry, not a policy of slaughter ).

Basically, Namor is about the halfway point between Black Panther and Dr Doom- he's more militant and more isolationist than T'Challa, but less scheming and ambitious than Doom.

Nothing about this dude screams Namor.
Yeah. Luke Evans would be a better option since he and Tenoch Huerta have almost the same age but Luke is more comic accurate. However, you know that Marvel has been race-swapping characters these days.
Boss Logic even hinted him as Namor 6 years ago

Yeah. Luke Evans would be a better option since he and Tenoch Huerta have almost the same age but Luke is more comic accurate. However, you know that Marvel has been race-swapping characters these days.
Boss Logic even hinted him as Namor 6 years ago

If Atlantis is a sunken Mesoamerican city then sure it makes sense to have someone from those countries, but he just doesn't feel like he will nail Namor based on any of his roles he's done before, he has no commanding presence.

The idea of making Atlantis a mesoamerican and mayan lost culture really intrigued me.
Underwater jungles with mayan pyramids

I mean, a Meso-American styling for Atlantis is fine. It just doesn't solve the real key problem: the idea that Atlantis and Wakanda would ever get into a conflict in the first place, when Wakanda is not only more environmentally friendly than any other advanced nation, but almost or entirely land locked.

I mean, a Meso-American styling for Atlantis is fine. It just doesn't solve the real key problem: the idea that Atlantis and Wakanda would ever get into a conflict in the first place, when Wakanda is not only more environmentally friendly than any other advanced nation, but almost or entirely land locked.

I mean that holds true for any culture outside of Africa that Wakandans would come in contact with but I'm sure someone can come up with an interesting connection.

I mean that holds true for any culture outside of Africa that Wakandans would come in contact with but I'm sure someone can come up with an interesting connection.

You can invent an excuse for anything to happen. The issue is whether you can come up with a good thematic reason for why it would matter. "Atlantis and Wakanda end up at war because of random stuff that makes no sense and doesn't matter" does not make for a good movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

• C. Lee
    Superherohype Administrator

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"