How to Jump The Shark

PyroChamber

Not lactose, it's milk!
Reaction score
For all the shows that are out now and are popular with viewers, what do you think are some things that the makers of the show could do that would be considered "shark jumping"?

I think the most obvious one would be if they decided to give Betty a makeover on Ugly Betty.

Or on Firefly, if it didn't get cancelled, if they decided to bring in a character from our present day and somehow have them transported onto Serenity.

House, if they killed off Dr. Gregory House (or the main/title character of just about any show).

Or irrevocably changed the premise, like House becomes a Police Detective...
But you have to add something really foolish to it... like House becomes a Police Detective in a K9 unit... THAT's shark jumping...

-introducing Bond-style gadgets that don't currently exist in real life
-giving Jack a "young, hip partner" and making him or her an increased focus on the show
-repeat the mistake of last season's too, too many romantic subplots

Let's go back in time and relive on of the worst examples of jumping the shark.

New York: Undercover, from Dick Wolf (Law & Order, and so on). The show had a HUGE minority audience, particularly the Black and Latino audience. The show was a critical success and was one of Fox's highest watched shows. Season 3 finale comes along, and you kill the lead Latino detective. You lose pretty much all of your Latino audience right there. Then you revamp the show and try to make it look like an uber-slick police drama for season 4. Then you get canned.

two people that have sexual tension sleep together and become a couple and lose all sexual tension and make it meaningless for us to watch if they will or wont get it on seeing as they did.
someone has a baby, that always kills a show.
replacing actors, it worked for the dukes of hazard, right?
killing off charters for no reason.
losing direction and focus.
going to dark/light with the show.

Let's go back in time and relive on of the worst examples of jumping the shark.

New York: Undercover, from Dick Wolf (Law & Order, and so on). The show had a HUGE minority audience, particularly the Black and Latino audience. The show was a critical success and was one of Fox's highest watched shows. Season 3 finale comes along, and you kill the lead Latino detective. You lose pretty much all of your Latino audience right there. Then you revamp the show and try to make it look like an uber-slick police drama for season 4. Then you get canned.

From what I've heard, Michael DiLorenzo was getting a little too big for his britches, and they had no choice but to kill him off. There really was no saving the show after that.

What about All-American Girl? One minute, she's living with her family, the next, her and her Grandmother are living with three white dudes for no apparent reason!

Killing Sam or Dean Winchester with no hopes of coming back to life on SUPERNATURAL.

Having Clark tell Lex he's going to become some guy named Superman in SMALLVILLE.

when you take kids from high school and put them in collage.
when you drop half the cast for new people that do the same job.
when you rehash old plots.

Age the characters four years from one season to the next.

Oh, wait, aren't they doing that on One Tree Hill?

What about All-American Girl? One minute, she's living with her family, the next, her and her Grandmother are living with three white dudes for no apparent reason!

That show could never jump the shark, because it was never even good to begin with, and I actually like and admire Margaret Cho.

Age the characters four years from one season to the next.

Oh, wait, aren't they doing that on One Tree Hill?

No no no. That sounded good to me. Now, hiring Kevin Federline for a multi-episode arc is what kills it. I've watched the show for years and enjoyed it. THis is certainly a low point.

From what I've heard, Michael DiLorenzo was getting a little too big for his britches, and they had no choice but to kill him off. There really was no saving the show after that.

Oh really?
Damn, I never knew that. :csad:

Hiring David Caruso for any role, unless its for a smug, badly acting actor who thinks hes the crap.

Or hiring someone like Jeanne Garofolo for 24....oh **** wait!

Pretty much for most shows, the golden elements for shark jumping are quite simple:

Major cast shufflings...and babies.

Smallville....wait, they've jumped it more than once every season past, season three.

Clones, simple enough.

two people that have sexual tension sleep together and become a couple and lose all sexual tension and make it meaningless for us to watch if they will or wont get it on seeing as they did.
someone has a baby, that always kills a show.
replacing actors, it worked for the dukes of hazard, right?
killing off charters for no reason.
losing direction and focus.
going to dark/light with the show.

Not always.

It worked for the Flintstones.

Smallville....wait, they've jumped it more than once every season past, season three.

Shark Rule #214: If a show's been on for four years since supposedly jumping the shark, and its ratings have gone up since supposedly jumping the shark, there is a good chance that it hasn't actually jumped the shark.

Shark Rule #214: If a show's been on for four years since supposedly jumping the shark, and its ratings have gone up since supposedly jumping the shark, there is a good chance that it hasn't actually jumped the shark.

Thats not a rule. :oldrazz:

I think Scrubs has actually gotten better since Dr. Cox had a kid. Oh and JD and Elliot going back and forth is always good. :up:

That 70s Show. No more Eric, no more show! Then Kelso left as well. That whole show went to hell once Donna went blonde and the characters started looking less and LESS 70s.

Sorry, rules don't necessarily apply when it comes down to this. Every single season it manages it and continues to it especially when it came down to a witch arc, that had no real pay off and don't even give me that excuse about it being part of the Fortess of Solitude. It jumps the shark every season and has continued the downward spiral and shall continue it. Nothing can save Awful-ville. Especially considering
Lana comes back as a clone this year.
That's reason enough to continue the show a shark jumper this year alone.

A.) That spoiler material hasn't even been confirmed.

B.) How can you jump the shark multiple times and STILL be on the air? The whole idea of jumping the shark is that it's a moment where the show goes completely downhill, ratings plummet, and the show eventually gets cancelled. You can't jump the shark once a season. :huh:

It just seems to me like you don't like the directions Smallville has taken and are simply manufacturing points in the series you didn't like and labeling them as "shark jumping moments". A show that has clearly jumped the shark wouldn't be heading into its 7th season and already discussing what to do for its 8th.

A.) That spoiler material hasn't even been confirmed.

B.) How can you jump the shark multiple times and STILL be on the air? The whole idea of jumping the shark is that it's a moment where the show goes completely downhill, ratings plummet, and the show eventually gets cancelled. You can't jump the shark once a season. :huh:

It just seems to me like you don't like the directions Smallville has taken and are simply manufacturing points in the series you didn't like and labeling them as "shark jumping moments". A show that has clearly jumped the shark wouldn't be heading into its 7th season and already discussing what to do for its 8th.

Let me put is this way it's the worst thing to have ever happen to Superman with the exception of Erica Durance.

Ratings and the fact that it caters to the teen audience with drag out nonsense of a series (Lana's fake out of a baby is another reason it's a crap show).

Ah a seventh season? Big deal. It's still the worst thing to happen. AlMiles should be writing Eraser: the series and not be anywhere near SV. At least then we wouldn't be waiting seven years to get closer to Superman.

The show jumped the shark at Season Four with the Witch arc and continually loses viewers, each and every single season. Ex-Ksite moderator here. Dealt with. You wanna keep coming up with things because I'm going to keep repeating myself. It's a crap series that needs to be canned A.S.A.P. before AlMiles trash more.

The show's improved but that's not saying much. I'm personally sick of the Lana/Clark relationship dragging out and Clark taking so long to accept things....gripes galore for a series that could be so much more than it is.

It's jumped the shark after season four with the witch arc, that was nothing more than an arc to give Lana something else to do. Jonathon's death and Lana's death, another example, and using the time jump device. Season Six: the Justice League. I could go on. The show isn't improving and that maybe a rumor but it's enough to consider it another jump the shark the moment.

Ratings can keep a show on the air for a long period. It's teen drama, not a show about Superman. The Phantom Zoners were closer to dealing with Superman then all this Lana/Clark nonsense that's dragged on and on and on. The CW drags it out as long as they can because they know it brings in an audience. Long time Superman fans are getting screwed over and those of us that have stuck around, my friends include consider it nothing more than a joke at this point.

I've put up with at and this point could care less about those who defend the show. All the power to you all. Stalker Clark is all yours. When the show gets closer to the mythos then tell me the show hasn't jumped the shark because until it gets closer to the Superman mythos, it still stands.

The only reason I even watch the show is to see Clark become Superman. Thus far the show is no more closer than they were back in season one except a Justice League has fully formed and Clark's fought Zoners and now, Kara's in Smallville. Bravo for seven seasons of not getting close to the goal and not sticking to the Five Season Bible, that was originally mentioned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"