Hype Survivor! Mods vs Members - Day One: Opening Cemeronies

For the new page....

Quiet Craigbfan! :argh: :hrt:

Our first judge is a former Hype moderator. He moderated the Green Lantern forum (I think), The Superman forums (I think) and the Bat forums (....I also think). I don't remember to be honest. But his username is a DC character. So I'm gonna stick with that. In his spare time he enjoys long walks on the beach and the Hotties thread. If memory serves he is particularly partial to Emmy Rossum. The one, the only, LOOOOOOOOBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO........It is Lobo.

Scores after first judging:

Tribe One - 17

Tribe Two - 24

Our next judge is a Hype Survivor legend when it comes to designing grids. His grids are among the best in the history of this game. He is the one...the only...POWdER-Man!

Total Points:

Tribe One - POWdER awarded tribe one 13 points. In addition to their 17 from Lobo, that makes their total 30 points!

Tribe Two - POWdER awarded tribe two 16 points. In addition to their 19 from Lobo and five bonus points, that makes their total 40 points!

So as we go onward to the final judge, the scores are....

Tribe One - 30

Tribe Two - 40

However, this may not be over. Our final judge is notorious for his low scores. When it comes to Hype Survivor judging, he is our Simon Cowell.....

Our final judge is a veteran when it comes to Hype Survivor judging. His past grid judgments have driven our second judge, POWdER-Man into fits of rage. He is the Simon Cowell of Hype Survivor. The one thing he hates more than hippies are bad grids. It is...HIPPIE_HUNTER!

hippie_hunter said:
Tribe One
survivorsubmsn2.gif

Oh boy, just where do I begin with this one. You should know that it's not a good sign if I say that. And I like to be the Simon Cowell of Hype Survivor, so now would be a good time to harden up that skin because it's nothing personal.

Creativity
I'm quite curious as to why you chose certain Avatars to represent certain posters. Now some I understand like Mockingbird being CC's avatar, Spider-Man being SF's avatar, the Human Torch being 'fire's, and the bird thing being Byrd Man's, but some of them I just don't understand like Rulk being C.Lee, having a Spider-Man image on the X-Men side, or Parker Wayne being Gambit.

I can't be too hard on creativity though, it's hard to be creative on a grid, it's almost impossible to think outside the box, so I guess I deserve to give some credit for not completely botching up the design of it.

And considering that this is SuperHeroHype, you also deserve some credit for using the theme of Avengers vs. X-Men, it stays in line superhero theme of the forum. I'll get back to this later.

Score: 5/10

Quality
Now this is the part where I'm going to be really, really harsh on you guys.

I'm just going to go right off the bat on what I really don't like about this banner. I absolutely hate Avengers vs. X-Men. It's an absolute train wreck of an event, and your banner is just reminding me of how much I hate it. And, the last time I checked this is Mods vs. Members, not Avengers vs. X-Men.

My hatred of the Avengers vs. X-Men theme aside, there are some other major issues with this grid. It just looks so bland. I get that you're trying to make the red vs. blue scheme work because of Mods vs. Members, but because that's how you colored the grid, you turned Jim Cheung's rather awesome artwork look incredibly boring as a result.

And the biggest problem of them all: WHY THE HELL DID YOU GUYS DARKEN THE AVATARS?! Seriously, this thing is bland enough as it is already and you just made it even blander by muting the avatars to such a rather dull level.

At the very least, you made a competent grid. It's the least you guys can do.

Score: 4/10

Total
This banner was just all sorts of meh from me. From the lackluster theme to the rather poor and bland design of it. There are only so many words in my vocabulary to say just how dull this grid is.

Score: 9/20

Tribe Two
255rgqr.jpg

Now Tribe One you guys should pay attention to this because almost everything you guys did wrong, Tribe Two sorta did right.

Creativity
I just gotta say that I love this Gods vs. Mere Mortals theme you got going on. This theme you have is pretty damn creative considering the relationship between the Mods and the lowly peons that we call the members of the Hype.

And I like a lot of the Avatars that were chosen too. Unlike Team One's grid where some of the avatars are simply obvious ones, you guys though outside of the box here. You found an avatar with red glowing eyes for Showtime, just like he likes to do with most of his actual avatars. You got someone looking grim and grimmacing for Batman. An old looking dude for C.Lee, a tough looking chick for CC, an evil looking demon for Matt, and powerful looking mortals for the regular members.

I question some of the choices of the avatars. Like I think that craig's avatar would work better with Sage and why is a Poseidon like figure Spider-Fan's avatar.

Even though the theme is pretty damn creative, you guys do play it very safe with the design, but just like with the other team, I can't be too harsh on that, it's a grid.

Score: 8/10

Quality
Now this is where you guys really kick some major ass. The placement of the names of the participants is far better suited underneath the avatars than on top of them and the font is just far superior.

The whole Gods vs. Mortals theme on your grid works far better with the Mods vs. Members theme of the game than the Avengers vs. X-Men theme on the other team's banner.

But best of all, your grid is flashy. It's colorful, it's vibrant, and most of all, it's just badass. I can see the avatars very clearly. The beautiful art isn't muted by some scheme to split the tribes. I just really love the design of this.

There is one thing that Team One did better than you guys though. Their logo for Hype Survivor is better. You guys just took the logo from the actual Survivor television show. Team One on the other hand, actually made a logo and not only made a simple Survivor logo, they made this a Hype Survivor logo (although they had to ruin it with Avengers vs. X-Men in the background of that logo).

You guys made a pretty cool grid though, probably one of the best I've seen.

Score: 8/10 - if it weren't for the logo, I would have given you a 10/10.

Total
You guys kicked ass on this round by going above and beyond. I'm hoping that the other judges of this challenge have the common sense to see things the way I do.

Score: 16/20

HIPPIE HUNTER AWARDS TRIBE ONE 9 POINTS, MEANING WITHOUT EVEN FACTORING IN TRIBE TWO'S IMPRESSIVE SIXTEEN POINT SCORE, THEY DEFEAT TRIBE ONE AND WIN IMMUNITY BY FINAL SCORE OF....

TRIBE ONE - 39

TRIBE TWO - 56

Congratulations Tribe 2! You have won the game's first immunity challenge and are safe from elimination at tonight's tribal council. You also receive the honor of having your grid used throughout the game! Tribe 1 is not so lucky. The only thing that one of them will receive is the distinct embarrassment of being the first player voted out. Ouch.

Tribe 2, enjoy your night off.

Tribe 1, tribal council PMs will be sent shortly. Remember, you vote for who you want to remove from the game.

All Tribal Council PMs are sent. Tribe One has until 4:30 PM est time tomorrow to cast their votes.

Congratulations Tribe 2! A very well deserved win. :up:

Our final judge is a veteran when it comes to Hype Survivor judging. His past grid judgments have driven our second judge, POWdER-Man into fits of rage. He is the Simon Cowell of Hype Survivor. The one thing he hates more than hippies are bad grids. It is...HIPPIE_HUNTER!

Actually if I remember correctly he gave my grid a perfect score.

It was just that stupid song that cost us the win.

Edit: Matt I did pick up on the error in tribe 1's grid I just thought I picked on them enough to not mention it.

Actually if I remember correctly he gave my grid a perfect score.

I do remember I did give one of your submissions a near perfect score. But damn, just what the hell were you thinking with that song.

Awesome! Props to CC for coming up with the theme and creating the grid :up:

I thought I'd present an option that I made with Paint in the event Team 2 couldn't get a photoshopper to make one. I have no idea what theme I was going with here... I was just having fun. I was thinking "old versus new" and came up with guys with guns versus knights and then balanced the city in the Survivor logo with a fantasy looking tree below. Eh, I thought it was cool.

Hypebanner.jpg

I do remember I did give one of your submissions a near perfect score. But damn, just what the hell were you thinking with that song.

I wasn't in charge of it, then it was left to the last minute and I think the person purposely sabotaged us so we would lose.

Yay for Tribe 2. CC really outdid herself with that design.

Matt looks appropriately evil in the "gods and mortals" poster.

Heh, all this talk about grids had me going back to memory lane. I managed to find some of the grids I made but I am missing at least 3 that I can think of at the moment. Some of these were just rough drafts/ideas I was playing with and never actually used, while others I couldn't find the original version so I had to settle for a lesser unfinished version.

Although I lost in both instances I like Spy vs Spy and Marvel vs DC the most. Hmm...seemed like photobucket shrunk them down.

Grid2.gif

2ndGridchanges2-1.gif

LostGrid4.gif

Grid2-1.png

NewGrid-trial.png

Grid2009.png

Grid2010.png

gridmerge2.png

MergeGrid-1st.png

Edit I love the fact that there were 3 female players during Survivormania and we still made them as guys. lol Andre the Pickles FTW

Edit again: I could only find a small version of this one which is unfortunate.

Virgins.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome! Props to CC for coming up with the theme and creating the grid :up:

I suggested the Mods/Gods theme I believe, but that doesn't matter, Comic Chick's grid is what won this. Kudos to her. Impressed.

Yours was also really good JHob, they not easy to make. Couple other good entrants we had.

Someone should have stuck a Georgia G on my pic.

powder said:
I love the theme you have going on here. Although I do recognize Hercules from the MU, and Zeus and Hades but I don't recognize most characters which means they are either simply from Greek Mythology or they are not common place enough to easily recognize so at least you stepped away enough from the simple Superhero theme and went with a game/battle of the gods. I like some character choices such as Dr. Evil's, Batman, and Fire's and so I can see you made an effort to tie the characters with the person. I still don't know if I agree with JH being Hercules but I regress. (you may have to explain your reasoning later on) Plus is SML a guy on there? If not she looks pretty "handsome"

sml might be a guy :/ i was running out of time. i made the grid in less than 3 hours, and was doing a couple of other things while working on it

the logo is i'll admit it; very plain. i did alter the colors to try and match the rest of the grid, but that's it. a time constraint that i just simply couldn't work on much

the background is actually 2 images merged together. the bottom one (the group of warriors), i deleted all parts of the images except for them, overlayed the layer, adjusted opacities etc so it would blend nicely.

i'm very pleased you liked my work as you're pretty much the top dog of survivor grids :)

Hippie_Hunter: i'm so very happy you picked up on some of the tiny nuances i threw in there, like showtime's glowy eyes for instance. really appreciate all the kind words on my work. really wish i could've had some time to work on that survivor logo more but alas, i did not.

btw: Spider-Fan is Poseidon because, well most people think of Poseidon as being God of the Sea. But he is also an earth shaker as he can cause and create earthquakes. SF has always been one to shake things up in this game, and i thought it'd fit.

powder asked about why i chose JewHob as Hercules. It was simply based on strength mostly. Hercules is famed for his strength, and JewHob is a very strong player.

Last edited:
I suggested the Mods/Gods theme I believe, but that doesn't matter, Comic Chick's grid is what won this. Kudos to her. Impressed.

Yours was also really good JHob, they not easy to make. Couple other good entrants we had.

Yay for Tribe 2. CC really outdid herself with that design.

thanks for the kind words yall

i know some of the avatars choices might not have been the best, but i tried my best lol. sml i'm so sorry yours has a bit of a masculine face :/

and craig, i will fix the spelling of your name when i update the grid with the eliminated parties (unless the hosts are going to do that) and then i'll just upload a corrected copy for them to fix

here's a corrected spelling version:

2uhlle0.jpg

Last edited:
Oh my, it is time for our first vote out! For our new players, these will normally be more dramatic with the votes being revealed one, by one, by one, with one in each post. But this was a fairly boring tribal council (you people disgust me), so I will just reveal it in one post so all the focus can be put on our new GTFO picture.

The picture was drawn by DorkyFresh, I found it in the Hyper fan art thread. You may know Hyper as the Hype's mascot....and let's just say this awesome picture that DorkyFresh drew fits in perfectly with our game's theme. You'll see what I mean.

So let's reveal the votes....

vote one....I SEE SPIDEY

vote two....

through vote ten....THE ORIGINAL BAMFER

So...the first blood has been drawn and it is moderator blood! [blackout]Bamfer[/blackout] has a reputation as one of our more cunning players. It is a shame he did not get to sink his sneaky claws into this game more thoroughly before you brutes slain him. None the less, there is only one thing left to say to him......

HyperGTFO.jpg

Hippie_Hunter: i'm so very happy you picked up on some of the tiny nuances i threw in there, like showtime's glowy eyes for instance. really appreciate all the kind words on my work. really wish i could've had some time to work on that survivor logo more but alas, i did not.
I thought that was awesome. You deserve a lot of props!

btw: Spider-Fan is Poseidon because, well most people think of Poseidon as being God of the Sea. But he is also an earth shaker as he can cause and create earthquakes. SF has always been one to shake things up in this game, and i thought it'd fit.
Ohhhhh......that makes sense.

powder asked about why i chose JewHob as Hercules. It was simply based on strength mostly. Hercules is famed for his strength, and JewHob is a very strong player.
I like that reasoning too.

I just wanted to let everyone know that I have, once again, updated the Hype! Survivor Alumni "groups" page to include the "Mods vs. Members" edition. All new players have been sent their invitations to join the group. Good luck to all involved in the newest edition! :yay:

Hype! Survivor Alumni
http://forums.superherohype.com/group.php?groupid=14

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"