I almost fell victim to Ebay fraud. But am concerned.

StrainedEyes

All the way up it!
Reaction score
Ok, I already know that this site is fake and that I was stupid for doing this, so let's move on.

I haven't used ebay in over a year and since then have gotten a few emails about my account being insecure and what not. I always kinda ignored them. Today I got one saying that my account has officially been shut down and that I had to verify who I was and pay any fines I may have built up.

Now I know it sounds fishy but for some reason this morning I bought it. I haven't kept up on what kind of fraud emails get sent or how well done they were, so it had me fooled.

I clicked the link
Filled in the Ebay username and password (Which I have thus changed)
clicked next, filled in my email but used my ebay password for my email password (I started to feel uneasy)

The I went to the next page, Hesitently I filled in my credit card information, my name, address... But I got to Birthday and SS and was now very aware that this could be a fake site. But it was so convincing.

So I clicked Sign In without fillling out my Birthday or SS. And the website refreshed and gave me the whole
"The highlighted sections need to be completed" thing. I then knew something was wrong, went to EBay.com and read up on fraud emails, sent it to them and it was confirmed to be fake.

Now My concern is that I filled out my credit card information. I don't know how websites work, But I assume that no information gets sent when it refreshes and tells you to complete the form. Am I right?

Cause I do that all the time on other websites, forget to fill something out, it refreshes and tells me to do so. I always assume that any info I wrote didn't get sent in yet and waits until it's all complete.

My concern is that the fraud website people may have some how set it up that no matter what the info is sent in. I don't know how that's possible but I don't know much about fraud websites.

SO in conclusion, If I filled out most of a form on this webpage, clicked submit, and it refreshed and told me to fill in the sections highlighted, and then I quit. Did any information get sent?

I'm not 100% certain, but I believe some info could have been sent just because the system gave you a reply ("needs to be completed"). That can could easily be argued against, but I wouldn't risk it either way. Just alert your credit card company to what's happened, request a new card number and keep an eye on your statements over the next few months.

Sign on to eBay. If you got the same exact message (the same email) in your "my ebay" tab, then you are okay.

When eBay offically sends you a message, they always do it through the "my ebay" then the message is passed along to your email address.

If it is not in "my ebay" then you have been scammed.

I don't know if they took all of your information, but I can assure you that they did steal your username and password (since you put that in). Let's just hope and pray that they didn't get your credit card information.

SO in conclusion, If I filled out most of a form on this webpage, clicked submit, and it refreshed and told me to fill in the sections highlighted, and then I quit. Did any information get sent?

The best thing to be 100% sure would be goto your bank and tell them and ask them to cancel the card and get a replacement.

With Emails of any kind i have set up the header to show the information of the email where its come from what ip and what the return path is, as i have had a few spoof emils they say they come from ebay but the return path goes somewhere else = fake.

Ebay NEVER ask for you username and password unless you logging in on the site.

The best thing to be 100% sure would be goto your bank and tell them and ask them to cancel the card and get a replacement.

With Emails of any kind i have set up the header to show the information of the email where its come from what ip and what the return path is, as i have had a few spoof emils they say they come from ebay but the return path goes somewhere else = fake.

This is the best way to save yourself.

I got an email from paypal, kinda like the one you got from eBay. All it took was me logging in for them to steal my information. I didn't even give my credit card numbers out again.

Next thing I know, some dude in Romania is spending my money.

This is the best way to save yourself.

I got an email from paypal, kinda like the one you got from eBay. All it took was me logging in for them to steal my information. I didn't even give my credit card numbers out again.

Next thing I know, some dude in Romania is spending my money.

Indeed thats where most of the people doing this come from and Africa.

Also all those Hard drives you have NEVER dump them or get rid of them without taking a hammer to a the disk inside first (formating it will not save you). Millions of used Harddrives are being sold in these places and they are taking off all your information inc bank details and usernames, and they are getting rich off it, its crazy.

The website was extremely convincing. They even used a fake link in the email that read ...ebay.com/... but when you got to the site the very beggining of the address changed, but still had ebay in it. But it looked exactly like an ebay site.

I didn't know ebay scamming was so advanced.

I get a lot of 'Paypal' emails, telling me I need to update my details.

The emails look so bloody convincing, apart from the email address itself...

[email protected]...

...yeaaah, right.

Places like banks, eBay, PayPal etc. NEVER send you emails requesting that you re-enter all your information, supplying links to follow to do so. Ever. And follow black_dust's advice.

jag

I got one of those things one time from a site claiming to be Amazon.com. I didn't send them my information though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"