I really, REALLY hope they keep the same score!

AVEITWITHJAMON

Badass Cloud
Reaction score
One thing I hate about when franchises change directors is when the score from the previous movie is totally discarded. Hell sometimes it happens when the director remains the same like with Hellboy 2 and Iron Man 2.

I loved the score for the first Thor movie, I thought it was pretty much perfect in conveying the likes of the main characters and Asgard itself. SO now Branagh aint directing and Jenkins is I just hope she doesnt change the score because when going to see a sequel there is no better feeling than hearing that familiar music again. I dont want the exact same score, as you need to keep it fresh, but I hope the main theme's are definately kept.

Anyone else think the same or would you prefer a new score?

I think they should keep some of Doyle's stylistic elements but I am also of the opinion that his score was rather lackluster. Thor is no 'Needful Things' that's for sure. I collect and study soundtracks so I guess I am somewhat demanding compared to the more casual listener :cwink:. There is so much material to draw from for inspiration that I think someone like James Hannigan should be given a chance this time around. Ironically, going with a different composer may be one good thing that comes out of Branagh's opting out of directing Thor 2.

Last edited:
I admit it -- I really like Doyle's score. I have "The Sons of Odin" in some of the playlists on my iPod, and I always love it when it comes up.

I do sort of agree with people, though, that it doesn't stand out quite as much as you might like music for the Norse God of Thunder to do. I think it's a lovely heroic piece, but it does lack a certain dimension of extra drama that it might have had.

I actually compare it with the score for "How to Train Your Dragon". To be fair, I'm not suggesting that the main themes for HTTYD could be used for Thor, because the HTTYD music is... well, it's very muscular and heroic and exciting, but it's also a little... cartoony. Which completely makes sense for the movie. The movie's Vikings were OTT, so its score needed to be as well.

Thor's shouldn't be as cartoony. But it could stand to be a bit more swashbuckling.

I agree they should do a new fresh score but keep using the same pieces through out the score. I love the score to bits.

Why should it have the exact same score? If Doyle comes back for Thor 2, he wouldn't deliver the same score he did for the first one. He'll probably reuse his themes, but he'd do what Patty Jenkins wants.

Or if they get a different composer, the studio would be wise to reuse Doyle's theme anyway.

Yeah I wouldn't think they would change the Score. I mean each character movie has it's own "feel".
It would make sense if they switched from a different studio TO Marvel Studios, but, that's not the case

I think for Loki they need to give him a darker, more evil sounding theme since it's pretty clear that he's giving in to the darkness, but they should pretty much keep some basic melodies from the original movie's score of course. Maybe add more heavenly choirs and the anguished wails of a soprano singer during sad moments.

I think for Loki they need to give him a darker, more evil sounding theme since it's pretty clear that he's giving in to the darkness, but they should pretty much keep some basic melodies from the original movie's score of course. Maybe add more heavenly choirs and the anguished wails of a soprano singer during sad moments.

I'd say this is very likey. Loki never had a theme to himself. He shared a theme with Thor, who also had his own theme. But their theme, the Son's Of Odin theme, was quite literally destroyed when Loki crossed the bridge. So he'll be needing a new theme. Maybe Silvestri will give us one with TA?

Either way I think Doyle is a must. He added a lot of weight to the drama scenes, imagine the scene when Thor can't pick up Mjolnir without the music. Wouldn't have been nearly as effective.

I'd say this is very likey. Loki never had a theme to himself. He shared a theme with Thor, who also had his own theme. But their theme, the Son's Of Odin theme, was quite literally destroyed when Loki crossed the bridge. So he'll be needing a new theme. Maybe Silvestri will give us one with TA?

Either way I think Doyle is a must. He added a lot of weight to the drama scenes, imagine the scene when Thor can't pick up Mjolnir without the music. Wouldn't have been nearly as effective.

Agreed, I loved the music in that scene, in fact I thought the music elevated many scene's in the movie above what they may have been like if there was no music there.

Plenty of scene's spring to mind, the opening voice-over by Odin, the scene you mentioned, Thor approaching The Destroyer powerless, Thor coming back to life, the final scene between Thor and Odin as well as between Thor and Heimdall.

The score just fit superbly with the scene's it conveyed, and thats why I love it so much, so yes, Doyle is a definite must for me.

As long as they bring Doyle back (and I don't see any reason why they wouldn't), then we'll definitely hear the same themes he created for the first movie, but of course expanded upon and added to in order to fit with the new movie. I really hope we don't get another IM1/IM2 situation where they replace the original composer and we get a more generic, less memorable score for the second movie.

As long as they bring Doyle back (and I don't see any reason why they wouldn't), then we'll definitely hear the same themes he created for the first movie, but of course expanded upon and added to in order to fit with the new movie. I really hope we don't get another IM1/IM2 situation where they replace the original composer and we get a more generic, less memorable score for the second movie.

This is what i'm worried about, IM1's score wasnt that good, but it was better than the one we got for IM2 thats for sure, and the score in Thor was pretty damn good in my eyes, so I just hope they keep the main theme's at least.

I love that song. I thought it was very catchy and memorable. Whereas Iron Man's new theme in the second movie was basically generic fanfare.

This is what i'm worried about, IM1's score wasnt that good, but it was better than the one we got for IM2 thats for sure, and the score in Thor was pretty damn good in my eyes, so I just hope they keep the main theme's at least.

Don't you mean ears?

.....maybe Aveit has a nice visual going on his computer while it plays lol

I liked Iron Man's score but I prefer Thor's score and TIH isn't that bad either. My favourite is Can you see Sif er I mean Jane? Urgent Matter, sons of Odin and definately the Prologue.

It was okay, I still wouldnt compare it to the best score's in this genre, but its much better than anything in IM2.

Of course, but "Driving with Top Down" doesn't sound that "superhero" and more like natural metal & electronica tune coming out of an action movie. Like in the youtube comments, someone would turn it on his car radio as his morning drive jam. Put in Thor's tune or Superman's people notice it's coming out of a superhero movie.

And yeah Debney's IM2 is just not memorable at all.

It was okay, I still wouldnt compare it to the best score's in this genre, but its much better than anything in IM2.

Hardy-hardy ha ha :yay:.
:D WHAT? I was sticking up for ya! :D

Imagine THIS on your media player :D
psychedelic.png

Last edited:
Imagine THIS on your media player :D
psychedelic.png

What is that? :wow::wow::wow: Did I smoke something bad?

I like the soundtrack and they should keep some memorable themes, Thor's theme or 'Prologue' for instance. And it would be cool if Loki gets an own theme particulary when he's still the villain. Something dark that you know by the sound when he's coming.

Originally Posted by ddddeeee

Exactly

Of course, but "Driving with Top Down" doesn't sound that "superhero" and more like natural metal & electronica tune coming out of an action movie. Like in the youtube comments, someone would turn it on his car radio as his morning drive jam. Put in Thor's tune or Superman's people notice it's coming out of a superhero movie.

And yeah Debney's IM2 is just not memorable at all.

I personally didnt think Thor's was a typical superhero movie score and thats what I liked about it, it was different and mainly, epic.

Iron Man's was also different but not in that good of a way, it was a bit low-key (or should that be Loki :cwink:). But, it was better than anything in IM2.

:D WHAT? I was sticking up for ya! :D

I know I know :yay:.

Regardless of who creates Loki his own theme, I think to reflect his growing megalomania and madness it should be a dark and discordant theme, perhaps accentuated with some demonic male chanting and pipe organs in the background.

Yes, I agree that the music Doyle came up with for that scene pretty much enhanced that scene. It was just a heartbreaking thing to watch with that strain of music playing along with it because it was quite a beautiful movement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"